Supreme Getaway - Good buy?

Submitted: Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:15
ThreadID: 69399 Views:4469 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
This is my first "visit" here and I am seeking some advice from those wiser than me. It is time for the bride and I to move up from the old camper trailer to a van and I have located a 2005 14'6" x 7' Supreme Getaway for $28,500. It has electric brakes, a single axle and is wired for solar. Is this in the ball park for one of these? They sound good to me, but is there any downside to them? Anything in particular I need to check before I buy it?

Weight is apparently 1450kg, and 1650-1750kg fully loaded up. I only have a 1999 3ltr manual diesel Hilux twin cab (no turbo) with a towing capacity of 1,800kg. I would like to keep the Hilux as it is in great condition and only has 160,000 km on it, but will it cope with this van?

We will start off with a few week long trips, then up to a couple of months at a time away. We love to get away from caravan parks and crowds and really enjoy camping out in the bush away from everyone else. I am sure it will be good for this, but any thoughts on extended periods in a small vanlike this? We are looking at doing a big lap in about 18 months time.

Thank you

BigRoo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:39

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:39
BigRoo
As far as i am concerned every one has different tastes in caravans and what is a deal to you may not be a deal to others.
To get some comparison on prices have a look at www.rvpoint.com.au from about page 8 or 9 or have a look at the trader section on this site.
Good luck.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 367884

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:48

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:48
I would double check those weights 300kg's is not allot you can play with
AnswerID: 367885

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 13:35

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 13:35
they are a good, well built van but everyone has different requirements/needs

looks like you'd struggle going up hills though, going off those weights. That's the problem with the more robust vans - they're heavier and need a pretty powerful tug to pull em

you'll have to lto look into it carefully - have a look at the compliance plate for a start and make sure it is in fact 1450kg unladen as opposed to "apparently". If you're set on this one you might need to upgrade the car.
AnswerID: 367918

Reply By: Member - Matt H (SA) - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 22:40

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 22:40
Bigroo,

We travelled Oz in 2002 with a 1998 Hilux and camper trailer (approx 750kg) as seen on my Profile. Trust me, that's the limit of the non turbo Hilux's ability. That said, it performed faultlessly for over 22,000km on our trip. It had hydraulic over-ride brakes fitted too. 65 kW only goes so far.

Words of caution though; DON'T tow in 5th gear! Stay in 4th and you'll average 88 km/hr @ 3000 RPM. My 5th gear started to whine by the the time we reached Perth after leaving Adelaide! So it was 4th gear for the rest of the trip. If you're gentle on the truck and aren't in hurry, the Hilux would *probably* tow it - but personally I would not. If you see an Echidna pass you whilst accelerating, don't be afraid - it's perfectly normal! :-)

We're now towing a Goldstream Storm which is around the 1500kg mark with a 3 litre T/D Prado (96 Kw) - and I would not be wanting to do it with anything less. I believe the later model Hilux's with the turbo came out with the Prado running gear - meaning stronger/larger Diffs and gearboxes.

"Caveat Emptor" - Latin for "Buyer Beware" comes to mind.

Personally? I'd probably buy the van, but seriously looking at updating the vehicle before you travel.

Cheers, Matt

AnswerID: 368055

Reply By: A J - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:53

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:53
BigrRoo - if you decide not to proceed with the purchase of the Supreme Getaway - if it is in NSW I may be interested if you could advise the particulars.

At 1,450 kg the Hilux would be working when fully loaded.

I have found in the past nothing worse than not being able to keep up with the rest of the group whilst towing your camper or van.

A J
AnswerID: 368084

Reply By: TrevorMR (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 12:36

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 12:36
BigRoo, I was in an identicl position to you - had a 97 3litre trayback Hilux and camping trailer and decided to move up to a Supreme Getaway. I didn't think the Hilux would cope and although in great condition, I sold it and bought a Ranger common rail turbo ute - it is a good tow vehicle and I hardly notice the weight.

My Getaway must be the next model up - it is about 16ft & weighs 1600Kg unladen and I am very happy with it although haven't taken it offroad.

I paid $32k - it has solar panels, bike rack and a few other extras and was in mint condition.
AnswerID: 368104

Sponsored Links