Queensland is not the Smart State any more,

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 19:34
ThreadID: 69449 Views:3835 Replies:14 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
Motorists in Queensland are going to lose the 8 cent per litre Fuel Subsidy in a months time, Labor Premier Boofhead Bligh announced today this will save the Government Dollars, Queenslanders have had the Subsidy since 1990, so any body who wants to travel in this state better make the most of the Discounted Fuel, don't worry we will get the Fuel Subsidy back when they get kicked out at the next election,
PS I also read that the Motor Vehicle Rego is going up as well,

Cheers
Daza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 19:42

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 19:42
From my experience fuel here in Qld has never been 8 cpl less than other states, more like 4 cents so where was the other 4 cents going? Most likely into the oil companies pockets. Without the subsidy it will be easier to compare directly with other states.
AnswerID: 368152

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 19:54

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 19:54
Bligh has to make some tough decisions. Sadly being of the same persuation as Umm...Kev, doesn't seem to have worked in her favour because she's made the wrong decisions.
She's history..never you mind about that !
AnswerID: 368154

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:17

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:17
Hey Footy,
You want Joh back??? Not a big follower of politics, but it doesn't seem too long ago that Queenslanders voted her in.... and I havent heard anyone of you QLD'ers happy about it. Many moons ago, NSW was slugged with the 3 X 3 tax, 3 cents per litre for 3 years, so long ago I can't remember what it was supposed to pay for.... it never got taken back off after the 3 yrs. Don't think it would matter who's in power, Whacker
FollowupID: 635714

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:38

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:38
Whacker, Don't talk to me about pumpkin scones. The only difference between the mess in Qld and the mess in NSW is that NSW has a bigger carpet to sweep it under, and never you mind about that. LOL
FollowupID: 635717

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:45

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:45
And the carpet here is getting higher off the floor by the day....
FollowupID: 635720

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 08:49

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 08:49
At least Old Joh encouraged Investment in to QLD, re the Coal Industry ect, and the benifits from that alone made Qld prosper with employment, the old saying if Big Business prospers they will throw a few Crumbs to the Workers.
FollowupID: 635775

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:09

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:09
DAZA..not too mention the 'brown paper bags' for the pollies!

Corruption, nothing like it to make things work efficiently....just makes you wonder what happened in NSW on that basis!
FollowupID: 635820

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:26

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:26
It does, doesn't Landy.

FollowupID: 635826

Follow Up By: tim_c - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 12:06

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 12:06
"Corruption, nothing like it to make things work efficiently...."

I have to disagree - if you think things are inefficient in Aus, you should try living/working in a country where corruption is the norm (rather than the exception)! Corruption diverts funds away from where they should go and are needed. This ends up leaving the government poorer (not to mention the general population) so there is always insufficient money to upgrade or even maintain essential infrastructure (eg. potable water supply).

Australia is far from perfect, but it's a whole lot better (at the moment) than most other countries in the world.
FollowupID: 635929

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 14:00

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 14:00
Tim

Hear what you are saying perfectly having lived and worked in a developing country.

The comment was a bit ‘tongue-in-cheek’ and was referring to the Joh days in Queensland, plenty of corruption, but things got done.

New South Wales, well what went wrong there….the palms were greased it seems, but everything fell apart.

Yep, bring back Joh!
FollowupID: 635939

Reply By: happytravelers - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:07

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:07
I hope all the people who voted her back into power a couple of months ago are pleased with her broken promises and lack of performance.
Jon
AnswerID: 368156

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:40

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:40
Are you talking about Anna Beatie here ? LOL
FollowupID: 635718

Reply By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:48

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:48
DAZA,

I could live with the 8 cpl price increase on the fuel but when she is going to sell off all our assets as well, I don't think is a real smart move!
The labor party would've known about this when they were trying to be re elected and yet nothing was said (funny about that, it must of slipped their mind!!!).

What happens when the next down turn comes along and we have no assets to sell. Are the pollies going to cut back their income, or cut back on their perks, I think not.

It seems that Captain Bligh has pulled a swifty on those who voted her in (I certainly was not one of them) and it is all of us that will pay for her mismanagement of our states funds. And now she is going to sell the things that are probably making money and will continue to do so for our state.

Greg
AnswerID: 368163

Follow Up By: MR_SKITZ - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 21:11

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 21:11
There ain't no way in Gods garden the Pollies would ever give up thier income or perks! Tell Eye Brows McBligh to sell of her private jet to recoup some costs ... what about all the beaureucratic fat cats in redundant public sector jobs that could be cut back to save a coin or 2 also ...

100% agree with ya Greg!

Craig
FollowupID: 635730

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 08:44

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 08:44
Welcome back Gregory, I have not seen you on here for ages.

The 8c per litre thing may not hurt the average qld driver but it will add up when you consider the amount of tourists that head (or may not now) our way from the southern states, that may now spend thier coin elsewhere and the fact that transport costs will have to be passed on to the end consumer. Things like fruit and veg, grocery items and just about anything else you care to name will have to go up in price to recoup this extra fuel levy. Don't be mistaken, I reckon that is all it is a BLOODY FUEL LEVY!!!

Then as you suggest, what is she thinking by selling off our assests????

Cheers buddy, good to see you back.
Trevor.
FollowupID: 635774

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 16:49

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 16:49
Hi Trev,

Mate I have just been lurking for a little while and not saying much. Just trying to keep a low profile and not get into any trouble.

If the travellers do still come to THE SMART STATE (what a croc) then they will cut back on their spending that's for sure. If they have to spend more on fuel, then they will cut back on accommodation, treats, tours etc etc etc and how many jobs will start to go then. It might take a few months to have a flow on effect but it will hurt when it does.

Don't forget there is someone lurking in the background of all this and his name is Andrew Fraser (our distinguished treasurer).
Give him another 10 years in state politics (what a bloody mess it will be then) and he will go into federal politics and look out Australia.
He made his way to the top pretty quick and he won't stop till he has the top job.

Hopefully I will win $20,000,000 in gold lotto and be able to buy 20,000 plus acres in the hills somewhere and fully fence it with 20ft high chain mesh with razor wire on top.
The only way you will be able to access it will be by 4wd or helicopter.
It will have dams that you will be able to fish in without a permit and camp near.
I might even make it my own country......Yep I know I'm dreamin' but what a dream...
Might go and have a bourbon now and sit back tonight and watch QLD flog NSW in the State of Origin

Greg
FollowupID: 635818

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 16:59

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 16:59
Hey Greg,
I was with you right to that last bit. :)
Not about the Bourbon bit, But I'll have one with ya. :)

FollowupID: 635819

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:47

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:47
Jon,

Some call me a traitor as I was born in Nepean Hospital at Penrith. But I've been in Qld most of my life.

Mate as long as it is a good game with a little bit of biff (only enough to let off some steam, that's all) and a close score line.

My little brother is staying the night at our house and he is a cockroach through and through, so the better half set up QLD coloured streamers, a go the maroons banner , maroon plastic plates for our dinner and he has a maroon towel for when he has his shower...........Honestly!! we don't like ribbing him about his affiliation with the south......NOT
Don't know what's wrong with that boy, he goes for the NSW and for Holden.

Greg

FollowupID: 635839

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 18:30

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 18:30
Greg,
"with a little bit of biff (only enough to let off some steam, that's all) and a close score line"
That's what's about mate.
My condolences to the lad, putting up with that. :)
Love it :)
It's all good, Enjoy the game.
Shh I know I will

FollowupID: 635851

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 09:12

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 09:12
Greg let me know where the block is and I will give it a good hard go at getting the neighbours block to make a super state!!!

Hairs, WHAT WAS THE SCORE? Can somebody give that guy a tissue LOL!!!

Cheers from a very proud Qld'r.
Trevor.
FollowupID: 635914

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:49

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:49
My father once told me, 'You reap what you sow'.
NSW has been screwed over for the last 13 odd years, yet the majority of people seem to vote them back in every time with out fail.
I can't work it out.
In Northern NSW, we lost our 8 cent subsidy a few months back.
unfortunately Daza, Most states are broke and will sell off anything and everything to make their bottom line look good in the short term.
A little off topic, but NSW wants to sell off State Lotteries. There is something that makes money, but NO, we'll sell that for a short term gain.
The problem is mate, they are not accountable there and then, only at the next election are they and by then they will of taken our minds of it and tell us how good we have it.
Politics, GRRRR.

AnswerID: 368165

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:53

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:53
I would like to state that most politicians are honest hard working servants of the Australian public......
Who put the public good first
And their own interests last

But I can't :)))))))))
AnswerID: 368168

Reply By: MR_SKITZ - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 21:05

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 21:05
Rego's have gone up and are as dear as if not more expensive to register your car in QLD now as NSW, only real benefit is not having the yearly inspection, which they may as well bring in also, the petrol subsidy is going, fines have been increased dramatically ... now the Bligh Gov't want to sell off the Bris Port, Qld Rail and Motorways along with some other utlities to recover some of the state debt.

It feels like I'm living back in NSW again!

But at the end of the day, what are we to do about it? Unless there is another snap election or referendum of some sort, we're stuck with the crap until the Bligh reign is up for re-election.
Even then, whats the Libs going to do to make anything better should they get back in?
AnswerID: 368171

Follow Up By: MR_SKITZ - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 21:21

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 21:21
Just as a side note, I said to the lady at the counter at QLD Transport when I transferred my registration over from NSW to QLD, that she had better not tell me she has run out of "THE SUNSHINE STATE" number plates, otherwise im heading back over the border to re-register my car in NSW again! LOL : D
FollowupID: 635734

Follow Up By: tim_c - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 12:14

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 12:14
Hee hee - similar things when Katy Carnell introduced the "Feel the power of Canberra" slogan. Most people didn't want that on their car especially if they were ever going to travel interstate, and what Canberran doesn't?! (you can't go on a holiday without going interstate!). There were some people sticking on "Toyota" stickers to change the slogan to "Feel the Power of Toyota". Thankfully, the slogan didn't last long!
FollowupID: 635931

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 21:09

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 21:09
Queensland The Smart State.

I reckon the politicians are not even smart enough to know how stupid they actually are.

Selling off assets is a fools game .

NZ has proved that with sales of Electricity, The Post office, The Railway intercity buses.

Result electricity prices have gone up astronomically The Post office (now Telecom) has become a succesful business for the private owners.
Same with the buses.

What did the Government get. Bargain basement prices that paid the overdraft at the time and now they have nothing to sell and the country is no better off.
Watch out Australia you are next.
AnswerID: 368174

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 21:36

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 21:36
Agreed. The fuel subsidy was always dumb, it jusr transferred costs between baskets. Indonesia did the same thing and have also announced they won't do it in future. But selling off the assets is really thick. That's what Howard and Costello did with Telstra and then used the windfall to claim they had "balanced the budget." They sold infrastructure and didn't reinvest in it but left it to private enterprise who only invest where they see a profit for themselves instead of meeting a public need.
Kennet went the same way selling off the freeways; water supply; power and public transport. He claimed to have balanced the budget as well and those chickens are well and truely coming home to roost in Vic.
FollowupID: 635736

Reply By: Atta Boy Luther - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 21:20

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 21:20
Scrapping the subsidy was long overdue .
AnswerID: 368178

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 08:19

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 08:19
Explain please.....

Do you happen to live in the city where long distances and transport reliance is not a daily occurance?

Andrew
FollowupID: 635770

Follow Up By: Atta Boy Luther - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 09:28

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 09:28
Put the money into health or schools instead .
FollowupID: 635781

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 13:27

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 13:27
I think you've missed the point with this subsidy. It is being abolished and is not going to schools, is not going to health services. Why should it? The reason to remove it is not to give MORE money to these areas, rather to limit spending.

Andrew

FollowupID: 635806

Reply By: Travelling Pixie - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 21:46

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 21:46
my Qld rego for 2009 has gone up $75 since last year. About 12%. Hate to think what next year's will be.
AnswerID: 368184

Reply By: D200Dug- Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 22:59

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 22:59
I have no problem with dumping the 8c subsidy most of that went into the pockets of the oil companies anyway.

I do have a big problem with selling off the state owned assets that is a desperate move, sadly both sides of politics will sell off the assets now.

There has to be a better way to raise the funds necessary rather than sell off the farm to pay the debts.
AnswerID: 368196

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 23:00

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 23:00
I would consider voting for the opposition if there was one !
FollowupID: 635751

Follow Up By: MR_SKITZ - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 09:49

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 09:49
The problem with selling off Gov't owned assests is that the private sector often gets hold of the fire sale assets, strip back everything to bare bone, inflate prices by god knows what and sell it on again for a profit to themselves.
Now with the Motorways for instance, Bligh said that the sale would be conditional to prices will not be put up other than in the case of normal inflation ... CRAP!!
FollowupID: 635783

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 07:22

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 07:22
I nearly choked on my coffee, I was watching the morning news and the story was how Anna Bligh was going to sell off most of the stuff in Queensland that actually makes money.here she was in parliament yesterday saying, wait for this, this is good.
Queenslanders should not be Subsidizing interstate drivers.
Bla Bla, Yeah right pull the other one.

You guys must really hate me, It's all my fault, the four or five times a year I go to QLD and get a tank of juice is going to break QLD.
Hey, Anna don't thank me for the couple a thousand dollars I put into the pockets of QLD business while I'm up there.

AnswerID: 368208

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 08:33

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 08:33
G/Day Jon

We will let you of this time, but don't do it again, lol lol, it's the same when we go over the Border and have to pay for a Fishing License, now I catch the fish when they swim up the coast into QLD waters, and I thank the NSW people for Fattening them up lol lol.
FollowupID: 635773

Follow Up By: MR_SKITZ - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 09:25

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 09:25
hahahahaha!! Like your style Daza! : )

FollowupID: 635780

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 10:06

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 10:06
G'day Daza,

What has somehow been lost in all of this discussion is the nature of how the subsidy came about. The short version is that QLD did not have an excise for fuel and that some goose in NSW challenged the state govt there about its ability to collect an excise for ciggies. The bottom line was that they couldn't and the Commonwealth would now do this on their behalf. The problem was it had to be the same in all states and as it was not going to be zero then the commonwealth would return this excise to QLD to returned it to the motorist, So it is effectivrly a new tax by virtue of keeping the refund.

The issue is that they were not givving us anything with the subsidy they were just ensuring the status quo.

Idiots they are and I hope they cop it in the polls - unfortunately now 3 years away.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 368228

Follow Up By: Russ n Sue - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 09:35

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 09:35
Beatit,

I actually know that "Goose" and I can tell you, he is anything but a Goose. That whole saga almost sent him to the wall. He was living in a caravan park when I met him! But all said and done, he was right and the courts have vindicated that. He is now awaiting a very substantial payout from the tax office.

To the subsidy matter....I'm from WA and in the last two years I have spent about five months touring Queensland and filling up with your cheap fuel. For that, I thank you all. Personally I think it's crazy that you Queenslanders want to subsidise my fuel, but there you go. If you think that you can vote the other mob in and get the subsidy back again, then go for it. I won't stop you.

Cheers

Russ.
FollowupID: 635916

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 22:55

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 22:55
Whilst I am no fan of Anna Bligh or her ilk, the petrol subsidy in QLD was a ridiculous joke. QLD was always crying poor to the feds. Why- because they were giving subsidies to fuel users.
More importantly, it gave Queenslanders excessively cheap fuel which meant they used more, and therefore clogged up the roads. The QLD roads, by the way, are the worst in Australia.
Fuel prices should go up, not down. Fewer plebs on the road.
Keep the roads for those who really appreciate their cars and their travel.

Bob
AnswerID: 368761

Sponsored Links