Kennedy Developmental Road Cairns - Hughenden

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 10:20
ThreadID: 69466 Views:5897 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

we want to drive from Cairns to Mount Isa over Hughenden. Is it possible to use the Kennedy Developmental Road at the moment - is this road sealed or unsealed?

Thank you,
downundersurfer
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: craig2 - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 11:31

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 11:31
We did this run the same time last year and needed to replace my windscreen after that road, I would have to admit it's the worst road I have ever travelled on. Massive road trains (3 trailers) that sit on about 120kms and don't slow down no matter what or where (blind corners) they are it's narrow and mostly dirt. When there is a decent width of road the shoulders slope is so steep that if a road train popped up unexpectedly you would be in deep DOODOO. If i had the option again i would give this road a wide berth.
AnswerID: 368237

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 14:49

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 14:49
craig2
I'm going to have pull your reins in here on the subject of Roadtrains and speed, Triple Roadtrains DO NOT travel at 120Kph , in fact they are speed limited at 90Kph, OK I know some...very few will do 100Kph..., even that will be the limit, As an ex truckie I hear all sorts of exaggerated stories and I must say yours is one of the worst, don't tell porkies,
You need educating so READ THIS

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 635809

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:41

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:41
Craig2 - Sure you are talking about the right road - it is nothing like you describe it from my perspective. We actually thought it was a great drive and were able to sit on the speed limit most of the way. Did it twice at the end of last year and the 2nd time it was a bit worse for wear but still OK to negotiate.

I would recommend it for an alternate route. Just need to be a bit cautious when on a gravel road and "DRIVE TO THE PREVAILING CONDITIONS".

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 635834

Reply By: wild dog - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 12:31

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 12:31
Yes it is " possible " to use this road. The edges of the the tarmac and the speed that you will have to get off the road for the roadtrains will dictate how many tyres you go through. That is assuming the road hasn't had mega dollars spent on it lately. Knowing the Qld. govt as I do, I find that highly unlikely.

The roadtrains will also dictate how many cracks your windscreen will finish up with. There is a good road between Townsville and Charters Towers.

An alternative is Cairns- Mt. Garnet have a look at Koombooloomba dam then down to the highway, a really nice drive.

AnswerID: 368243

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:36

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:36
The Kennedy Development Road is Dirt from the Lynd to Hugheden. The road between Mt Garnett and the Lynd and the Croydon turnoff is bitumen, has been widened and is in great condition.

You must be prepared for a gravel road that may not be in the best condition, but as gravel roads go it is OK. Depends how close you get to the last grade. It should have had a grade by now, but there were quite a few washed out places after this wet. Do a check on this site and it will tell you if it is currently open.

It has quite a few creek crossings and road trains do use it, they do not travel at the speeds stated above. Pull over when you see them coming and get right off the road is always the best bet.

There is Porcupine George to look at at the Hugheden end. A good drive and have fun. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 635831

Reply By: downundersurfer - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:27

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:27
Alright, so it's easier to use the sealed highways from cairns to townsville and then from Townsvillle to Hughenden???
AnswerID: 368263

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:45

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:45
downundersurfer - Do the treck you stated, you should have no troubles - give us a tick and I will post the condition of the road. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 635837

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:50

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:50
It is open to High Clearance Vehicles - This means it has had an opening fix up but may still be in poor condition. Full grade yet to be done - but will still be a good drive, just have to go a lot slower.

I assume you are in a 4 x 4.

Ethridge Shire Road Conditions
FollowupID: 635840

Sponsored Links