Oztents

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 22:14
ThreadID: 6950 Views:4700 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Giddaye all,
Have been lookin at this style of tent, but can't seem to find out about any pitfalls it may have. Quest...... How would it stand up to a fairly stiff wind?
Quest......How bad is the condensation problem? Do the poles bend at all? Is the canvas of good quality, chinese or oz? Has anyone been in a really good storm, did it leak at all?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martin - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 22:51

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 22:51
Harry the only one I've seen in use was completely covered by a tarp which made me wonder if they had had a bad experience. Have a look at Australian made centre pole tents like Freedom and Southern Cross and compare before you make a decision. My opinion is that the locally made products are quicker to put up, easier to transport, made from stronger canvas, will stand up to the toughest conditions and also deserve our support. Also I have found that in 4wd circles the Aus made canvas centre poles far outnumber others.
AnswerID: 29751

Follow Up By: Luke - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 23:30

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 23:30
Go for the Southern Cross :-)

Get the best, and you'll never look back - best choice we ever made!
FollowupID: 20837

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 06:49

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 06:49
Hi Harry:

I have an Oztent (Ranger model) and am completely happy with it.
It has stood up to some pretty stiff winds in NW NSW and one memorable "gale" near Grafton. In both instances it was well tied/pegged down.

Last summer we used it in the high country and did not have any condensation, but more recently in the Warrumbungles there was a small amount.

Only leak we have had was when we were in a rain storm and touched the canvas - thereby allowing some water through.

Upside is that if you arrive late to your camp, you can have it up in 30 secs ... but allow a couple of minutes to peg it down. We have had this happen a few times (arriving late) and it is a tremendous advantage.

Downside is that it is 2.5m long when packed up, and although it just fits comfortably in my roof rack/cage (when laid diagonally), it would give others with smaller racks some difficulty.

I have a single side panel which has proven of great value, and also the Oztent fly, which will prevent bird droppings from hitting the tent. I don't see them as having much more use beyond that.

I will also throw a tarp over mine, but mainly to give the the feeling of a larger "living area", by extending the annexe area.

Their newest models look particulalrly good, and I am considering selling my existing tent for the newer models.

I don't have any connection with Oztent - just a happy customer.

Safe travels
Jack

Australia - If you don't love it, leave!!!
AnswerID: 29763

Follow Up By: Martin - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 07:53

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 07:53
Jack, a centre pole requires no tying down for any weather - just pegs at the base and one pole. they're quicker than the "30 second" tent which takes a couple of minutes to tie and peg it. I don't know that the time is a big factor in comparing them but the stored size and strength of canvas is I think. Have another look at the Australian made products before you update!
FollowupID: 20843

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 09:17

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 09:17
Hi Martin:
Yep, got a centre pole tent - a Tanami Tourer, and it is also quite good, although a bit more interesting to put up with the "arms" spreading out. I like this one because you get more head room than with a normal pole tent. It also packs up smaller, which is handy when space on the rack if at a premium. The "arms" on the centre pole on the Tanami also come in handy for hanging things from - wet towels, lighting, etc etc.
I also travel with a swag if I am doing a solo trip ... it takes longer than all of them to set up with the fibreglass poles .. tight fit.
But the Oztent does not have to be pegged down if you don't want to. On my travels, with camping keen wife, we have a variety of setups on the Oztent, depending on length of stay.
Budget - just unpack and open it up, no pegs.
3 star - peg it down at the base and the sides.
5 Star - pegged down, annexe up, side wall attached and flu attached.

As an aside, I often travel with a mate who has a Kimberley Kamper, and whilst I can appreciate the convenience of them, can't get excited about what they offer in terms of acommodation. I still prefer a tent.

Have fun...
JackAustralia - If you don't love it, leave!!!
FollowupID: 20846

Reply By: Member - Bill- Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 09:32

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 09:32
Harry,

We are also happy users of the OZ tent. I'd second everything Jack has said. Everyone has thier own preference of course but the OZ tent is a good piece of kit IMHO.Regds

Bill
AnswerID: 29766

Follow Up By: Member - Mike (SA) - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 21:00

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 21:00
Hi Harry,
Had aTrekker for 3 years now. Withstood everything thrown at it in high country right up to Kimberley.
Personally find mattreess rather than stretcher a better bet. Also agree with comments above re roof rack and length. Mine just fits full length.
Side panel has been useful; more so against cold wind!!
IMHO a good buyu.
Regards
MikeToo little time in the bush!
FollowupID: 20884

Reply By: paul - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 14:55

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 14:55
i got a Tanami Tourer, love it. Goes up real quick, goes down quicker, and yes can hang towels and lights and stuff off the arms. The only times i think of an Oz tent is when, like all good quality canvas tents, they have to be packed away wet upon breaking camp, bloody nightmare. I imagine an oz tent would not change when folded down wet and then just slid onto the roof racks. that sounds attractive, if i win lotto i think i'd like to get one for when i'm not taking away the gurl. Might also add that with the Tanami we put in a double size mattress in between the centre pole and the sidewall and the one sleeping beside the wall does not get a face full of canvas when they sit up cause the walls are almost straight, this gives us plenty of room on the other side of the pole.
AnswerID: 29781

Reply By: Member - Andrew (Bris) - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 21:37

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 21:37
Bought a 'Discovery' second hand a few months ago. Only used it a few times, but it's stood up in a couple of big blows. One of the best purchases I've been able to get past the 'household treasurer'. Not cheap, but quick and solid. As already said, only drawback seems to be the length of the unit when folded up.
AnswerID: 29821

Reply By: Cameron - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 21:41

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 21:41
I'll add my to bits worth. Agree with all comments re the oz tent. We have had an Oz tent (Discovery) for a couple of years now, and it has been fine, We mostly pitch it just under the awning of our camper, and a couple of our kids sleep in it. In this configuration we have only had to peg it down once, (in on corner) making it a true 30sec tent. This was the main reason for getting an Oztent over all the others.
On its own you we have found you need to all the guys in high winds. In cold weather (well below zero especially), condensation is a "annoying". My experience is the dew freezes on the outside (making packing up a bugger) whilst body heat and breathing keep the inside temp higher and condensation occurs, however prefer this to opening any of the vents, simple because I dont like an icy breeze on my exposed nose in the middle of the night !!!
Its horses for courses, but final word, like all good tents they hold their value, pick one up second hand, try it, if you dont like it sell it for the same dollars, and try a southern cross.
AnswerID: 29822

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 22:53

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 22:53
Heavy and long, some condensation at back inside on a very cold night leading to drips. But... quick to erect and does the job. It's suitable to sit beside the van or vehicle as an annex. Horses for courses really. Pricey and probably limited room when you compare to a good dome tent. Centre pole tents puzzle me. They seem to be antique.... who wants a bl... great pole in the middle of the tent??.

Anyway... ours is just an addon bedroom to backup the SupaTrupa.

I'm thinking of getting a openaire awning to match into the Oztent setup.

Cheers RoyceRoyce www.funshow.com.au
AnswerID: 29834

Sponsored Links