Which 'CPAP Machine' is most recomended when camping ?

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 14:50
ThreadID: 69502 Views:7010 Replies:14 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
"ResMed S8 AutoSet II"
or
"Respironics REMstar Auto M Series"

Is there a better choice out there ?

(yes, Google is my friend, but she lacks your personality)

Maîneÿ . . .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: brushmarx - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 14:57

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 14:57
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Off Topic Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 368390

Reply By: BenDiD - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 15:20

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 15:20
Mainey,

I have Fisher and Pakyell which I think is much better than the Respironics - its quieter, only has one power cord instead of 2 and the humidifier is easier to see if its full or empty. Note: both of the machines I tried are the "auto titrating" type so that they adjust the pressure continuously.

I haven't tries the Resmed but it looks similar to the Fisher and Pakyell.

My Fisher and Pakyell will get its first outing in June when I am heading to the Dig Tree. I am going to run it off my dual battery - 100Ah Calcium battery - via a pure sine wave inverter.

Obviously I can't say how the different machines compare in the bush, but I know which one worked best at home. Also the fisher and Pakyell is fairly compact and self contained.

I suspect they'll all draw a similar amount of current. I know they run all night and a fridge cycles on and of, but I can't believe they will draw anything like a fridge which draws a lot of current when the compressor comes on.

I hope that is some help. usual disclaimers apply.

cheers

Ben
AnswerID: 368396

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 17:32

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 17:32
I believe the Respironics draws just 1.5a so is reasonably battery friendly

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 635970

Reply By: Member - Gary J (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 15:33

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 15:33
Hi Mainey,
I run an old (probably 4+ years) Resmed Autoset Spirit, but don't have the model number handy. It was top of the range at the time - quite big compared to what's on the market these days.
When run through my 600W NON pure sine wave inverter, there are no problems.
I can't vouch for other brands though.
AnswerID: 368399

Reply By: Member - Geoff C (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 18:11

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 18:11
I use a Resmed Autoscan II. I've used it extensively on dirt roads etc without any trouble. Its run off a 60watt non-sinusoidal inverter quite happily off a 100ah agm battery. I have the humidifier and carry a 200w sinusoidal inverter but have never used it as yet. Current draw for the Cpap is claimed to 1amp per hour plus inverter current draw. I bought their dc adaptor but don't use it as the inverter does all I need .
Hope that helps, Geoff
AnswerID: 368414

Reply By: Andrew - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 18:27

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 18:27
I have being using a Fisher and Paykel for years. Runs off a Projecta 600 w inverter. Haven't figured out how to calculate the power it uses yet but remeber they run continuously. This means that they use lots of power. If you are using the humidifier you can save a bit by cutting the setting back, but only if you can tolerate the dryer air.
I was only getting 6hrs out of my small odyssey gel battery before the inverter low voltage warning strated waking me up. To give you an idea for comparison., the same battery would run my very old 39 litre Engel fridge for 16- 24 hours.
It runs all night without any hiccups on a full size battery or my deep cycle.
Don't run it off your start battery as it will kill it enough overnight so that you can't start the car the next day.

Its quiet enough to run inside the swag with me which means I don't have to worry about it getting wet, or mossies ( or other things)coming in the gap in the gap where the hose goes through the fly netting. It also stops people fiddling with it while you area asleep!

Its certainly worth the trouble to get a good nights sleep. don't leave home without it.

regards

A

AnswerID: 368420

Reply By: itsdave - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 20:39

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 20:39
I use a ResMed S8 without a humitifier attached thru a pure sine wave inverter which draws 2.5 amps. You can also run this model on 12 volts with the appropriate cable and it also draws 2.5 amps. Never flattened a battery yet. Happy sleeping

Dave
AnswerID: 368446

Reply By: GerryP - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 23:23

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 23:23
Hi Mainey,
I use the Resmed S8, quite small without the humidifier (don't bother with that while out bush), very quiet and draws 1 to 1.5 amps on 12 volt. Can be run either through their 12 volt adapter of from modified square wave inverter. However, the humidifier, if you need it, must be supplied with a pure sine wave inverter.
Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 368467

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 09:03

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 09:03
I appreciate that this topic read alone would be considered off topic but may I suggest this issue is a very real one for the 4WD fraternity who struggle to keep these machines powered up from their vehicles. There are a lot of us who rely upon these machines to enable us to travel and the sharing of information and advice is very handy. Your review of the decision to regard it as off-topic would be appreciated. Thanks
AnswerID: 368505

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 10:45

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 10:45
Leigh,
You say "Your review of the decision to regard it as off-topic would be appreciated. Thanks" ?????
I'm not aware of what could be considered as any threat to this thread, the moderated post was not relevant to the thread and removed at my request.

I instigated this thread because I've been advised I will NEED to use a CPAP machine in the future so I want to buy the most efficient and 'silent' machine available here.
I believe the best way to get reliable, factual and relevant information is to ask questions of actual users of these machines, not read advertorial blurb instigated by adverting agencies who print what they think 'looks good' for the manufacturer.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 636088

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 11:05

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 11:05
Mainey
There was a moderated block on the thread that I requested be removed so that the discussion could continue. Mate I am on your side!
FollowupID: 636089

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 11:59

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 11:59
Leigh,
I was not aware of the "moderated block on the thread", thank you for intervening, I hope you did not think I was having a go at you in any way.
As you have said "this issue is a very real one for the 4WD fraternity" from those on two wheels with a small tent up to those in their huge Winnebago with the boat and small 4x4 in tow.
Just because some spend months living at a 'camp-site' by choice, does not mean we should not be able to have the full range of medical machines required with us.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 636094

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 12:07

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 12:07
No problem Mainey and thanks for the reply.
AnswerID: 368529

Follow Up By: Grizzle - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 13:17

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 13:17
Should be banned, just like generators!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 636102

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 13:26

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 13:26
Stirrer! LOL
FollowupID: 636107

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 15:35

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 15:35
Grizzle posted:
"Should be banned, just like generators!"

I'm truly sorry you feel that way Grizzle ?

The CPAP machines I've seen made very little noise and I'm sure would not annoy any nearby campers in the same way Generators obviously do to you to want them banned

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 636123

Follow Up By: Grizzle - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 17:56

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 17:56
Don't worry about me Mainey, I am a mate of Leigh's. We go away together 2-3 times a year in swags and his machine never bothers me. (unlike him who gives me the sh1ts!!!). Was only a throw away comment to stir Leigh.

Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 636619

Reply By: Member - Ian R1 (QLD) - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 21:23

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 21:23
Re the noise issue raised the snorers in the camp next door are much worse than any CPAP noise which are virtually without sound.
Have a Respironics REMstar Auto M which has been to caravaning, tenting to the Cape and just back from 3 weeks in Central Oz in a camper. I only take the unit without the humidifier for compactness and the two power leads - one 240v and the 12v with a Resmed Activa mask. When no mains power available I have a long lead running from the vehicle to the point where power is required and use the 12v unit lead which has a cigarette type adaptor. The REMstar is very compact (have had a Resmed S8 Autoset) and in my view much quieter. The REMstar will mains power will work over a high range of currents - have been overseas where some voltages are 110v. They draw very little current - the vehicle runs the Engel at the same time thru dual battery setup.
AnswerID: 368634

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 10:10

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 10:10
Ian,
the Respironics REMstar is my choice ..BUT.. when I looked at it I could not find any 'air intake' at the back, side, front or top of the unit, however I did notice some small holes UNDER the unit, are these the air inlets ??

That made me think it would be something that had to be sat on a solid, stable and clean surface, or you would be breathing the red dust etc that the unit was sitting in?

Is this the correct assumption or have I missed something ??

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 636410

Reply By: Member - Gavan F (WA) - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 23:51

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 23:51
G'day Mainey

I have 2 F & P machines . I brought a second hand unit from my sleep centre for $150 ,which I take camping and caravaning .I have used it in my swag on beaches, in our tent and in the caravan going around Australia for 3 months.

I have a dual Bat in the car and a bat in the c/van also run fridges . If you run your car fridge as a freezer then turn it off over night (It only drop's -11 to -9).

If you don't run the Humidifier but just have water in the container it will operate as a water pass over and provide some Humidification ,while saving power . You should only be drawing about 1 Amp running this way.

You should consider an extra hose for flexibility of where you place it. And remember an extension cord to run from your inverter .If you are camping where it is cold you should wrap up the hose to keep it warm.

Check out wwwcpaptalk.com for heaps more info.

It has only enhanced my camping experience as now I don't have to worry about my Snoring and I feel more alive after a proper nights sleep .
AnswerID: 368662

Reply By: BenDiD - Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 11:43

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 11:43
On the noise front - SWMBO insists I use the CPAP as it is virtually silent and stops me snoring. Otherwise the noise of snoring would wake the dead.

AnswerID: 368691

Follow Up By: fivedee - Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 21:48

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 21:48
One of the better threads I have seen on this topic. Did not realise that Sleep Aponea affected so many others. The consequences of not being able to use a CPAP machine is frightening. Microsleeps and 4 tonne or more of tug and van are a recipe for disaster.
FollowupID: 636279

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 23:27

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 23:27
Sleep Apnea was till recently just a few 'words' that had no relevance for me.

Now diagnosed with Sleep Apnea I have to find out so many things in a short time.
Things like the difference between the constant pressure machines and 'variable' pressure machines.

As in most Manufactures advertising blurb each manufacturer makes claims that they have the 'best' machine, so I thought as I have the need for one of these machines then maybe there are other guys out there with Sleep Apnea too, so ask the owners and see what they use and if they have used more than one machine so as to be able to give a realistic choice between the two pressure methods used.
I used a 'test' constant pressure machine for a week and the technician told me the 'variable pressure' machines are much nicer to live with, in as much as there is no 'constant pressure' forced into your lungs.
With that information I have a "Respironics REMstar Auto M Series" ordered with the choice of the "ResMed S8 AutoSet II" as a close second choice.
I "looked" at the fisher & Paykel but liked the other two better !

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 636282

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 12:35

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 12:35
I've been using a rented Respironics "REMstarPro" M Series for a few days as a test machine and I'm now a convert.
It forces no preasure at all against you when you breathe out, unlike the elcheapo (Sullivan) model I was tested with last month, where I did have a constant preasure of air coming at me all night.

I believe another benefit is the Respironics machine can be turned on at the 240v switch on the wall (or inverter) however the remstar won't start 'pumping' untill the 'nosepiece' (mask) is in firmly in place.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 369790

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 08:32

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 08:32
Picked up my new Respironics REMstarPro M Series with C-Flex and heated humidifier yesterday and used it last night, virtually silent.
It has one power cord supplied but can be used on both 12v and 240v (with appropriate 12v cord) or on 240v from the Inverter.
Draws 3 Amp (max) on 12v which is a lot compared to the smaller unit I tested first with a claimed 1 Amp draw (may have been on 240v or with-out humidifier?)
It's small physical size (19cm x 12cm x 8cm) allows it to be stored almost anywhere when camping as it's square design and has no protrusions to break or bend.

Love the starting method whereby you turn it on but it does not start to work till it feels you start to breathe through the mask, there is no air pressure felt at all, unlike the full-on constant pressure of the less expensive model I had tested earlier.

A big thank you to those who posted and Emailed me with relevant information :-)
Image Could Not Be FoundMaîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 371005

Sponsored Links