Toyota Prado or Twin Cab Ute

Submitted: Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 10:47
ThreadID: 69530 Views:7085 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are thinking of flicking the Rangie off and replacing it with either a Toyota Prado (around 2005) or Twin Cab 4wd Ute (new or nearly new) - any long term problems with these. We will be going for the auto/petrol models.

We know we are going from super luxury to an everyday ride but the Rangie at 140,000km is near its use by date as too many expensive bits are dying rather quickly.

I do not want a Toyota vs anything, petrol vs diesel, etc argument, just long term reliability issues - if any of these 2 Toyotas.

Stevesub
Long live the Troopy, we love it
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tim_c - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 11:22

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 11:22
Hi Steve, my brother and his wife were comparing the HiLux and Prados a while back (only they were changing from a 4Runner, not a Rangie!). I'm also considering the same (albeit to replace an aged Jackaroo)...

The dual cab ute will be more versatile than a wagon (won't be so worried to carry firewood etc.) but they can be difficult to seal the dust out even with a canopy because the ute tailgate is not particularly well dust-sealed. Having said that, many LC80 & 100's (and my brother's old 4Runner) have a tailgate arrangement that seems to seal okay so it should be possible to seal it.

My brother ended up swaying towards the Prado (2000 model TX) simply because for the same sort of money, he could get something that gave a more comfortable & quiet ride - the wagons, in general, ride better than the utes, though if you test drive both you'll soon know if it's enough difference to sway you one way or the other - probably you'll think they're both shocking after driving a Rangie!

Probably it comes down to what you intend to use the vehicle for - carrying only camping gear, firewood, etc. or carrying kids/grandkids, parents, etc. (ie people). With a wagon, you can generally access the load area from inside although if you are touring, you'll probably want a cargo barrier which will remove this advantage!
AnswerID: 368524

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 11:52

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 11:52
One of the latest 4x4 Aussie mags has this comparison. The biggest 2 issues when comparing is as follows:

Prado - More Comfortable , More Bells & Whisltes, Full Time 4 x 4, Limited Space

Twin Cab - Less Comfortable , Less Bells & Whistles, Part Time 4 x 4, Better Space.

Once you understand these issues and make your mind up what is more important you can choose what suits better.
AnswerID: 368526

Reply By: Member - SR509 (WA) - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 12:05

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 12:05
My mate has a Prado 2008 model and I bought the 09 Hilux SR5.

Good comparison.

Prado for;

More comfortable
full time 4x4

Prado against;

Weak front end
limited space
poor design on rear door

Hilux for;

Lighter
less fuel
better front end
space in the back

Hilux against;

ride quality (change suspension fixes this)
rear wheel drive ute (need weight in back when wet)
brakes - though abs helps with this

With sealing the back up if you go a canopy, it is easy with a couple of parts from Clark rubber. I like the flexibility, I have a dog so throwing him in the back is nice and you keep the cab clean. Same goes with camping gear, dive gear etc etc. It was nice the other day to pull up to the garden place and get them to drop in a bucket of soil, no trailers etc. i find that the hilux is a compromise but it does everything well and can still carry 5 people in comfort. Plus the top of the range hilux is 5k cheaper than the average GXL Prado.

Horses for courses, you need to work out what best suits you. The prado suits my mate better than the hilux and vice versa for myself.

AnswerID: 368528

Follow Up By: A J - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 12:45

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 12:45
Stevesub - what you could do is compare the two vehicles and if the hilux wins out have a tabletop made to replace the tub back and place a canopy on the tabletop to give you a better dust sealing unit and better set up all round.

We have a tabletop with canopy for one of our vehicles which was only used on holidays and the tub back the rest of the time. Not hard to change over.

There are a number of canopy manufacturers in the market place but one with no rear opening will keep the dust out.

A duel cab with a canopy in my opinion is the best set you can get.

Your goods are secured in the back in the event of an accident.

A number of forum members have opted for this type of set up.

A J
FollowupID: 636096

Follow Up By: tim_c - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 13:50

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 13:50
Hey you're right SR509 - I thought the prices were closer than that but just checked and the GXL Prado is around $59,500 while the SR5 dual cab Hilux is around $52,000 (plus on-roads, etc.) making the difference closer to $7,500.

However, I seemed to remember that the GX Prado (also around $52,000) was similar spec. level to the SR5 Hilux making the price difference negligible. I could be wrong on the specs of the SR5 Hilux as it's a little while since I last compared the two side-by-sde (but I had essentially concluded that the GX Prado had most of the 'goodies' I'd want so I'd find it hard to justify the extra $7k+ for the GXL, that might be why I was comparing the GX to the Hilux).
FollowupID: 636110

Follow Up By: Member - SR509 (WA) - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 14:15

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 14:15
Hmmm, as far as I know, the only differences between the GXL Prado and the SR5 Hilux is that the GXL has duel zone climate control but lacks the computer. The SR5 has the computer which tells you fuel usage, range to go, outside temp, compass, average speed, average usage etc.

Both have cruise, full electrics etc. So what the GX misses out on the GXL is where it falls behind the SR5 as well. The way I looked at is the GXL and the SR5 are about the same with extras.

I went auto and have been very impressed with the 4spd auto which is bullet proof. Does the same rpm as the Prado's 5 spd when cruising, stronger hence why they kept it in the commercials, and as the Hilux is over a 1/4 tonne lighter has the same pickup / acceleration.

If you also look at the resale values of the lux, they are up there. As is the Prado mind you.

Anyway, for the 7 1/2k, you can get a bullbar, winch, suspension, snorkel, spotties, tyres no worries.
FollowupID: 636114

Reply By: HGMonaro - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 14:27

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 14:27
ones a wagon, ones 1/2 ute 1/2 truck ;)

If you 'need' a ute, a wagons most likely not even an option.

I bought a Prado (2006 V6 Auto)... didn't even think of looking at a Hilux (or any other dual cab ute). As for reliability... it's been fine (70K, 25+ towing a wind-up camper). Only niggle has been an inner guard that kept popping out (due to dealer fitted bullbar) that they have finally fixed (took them several attempts!).

Prado's 'ride' quite nicely. I've had many people say they are surprised how smooth and quiet it is. Might be a bit of a surprise for you.

Cheers, Nige.
AnswerID: 368548

Reply By: Ted G - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 14:47

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 14:47
Hi Steve
I have a 2005 Grande with 50,000 klms on the clock.
If you want comfort with the air suspension spend the extra on a grande forget the leather seats, you can always put covers on them.
Had a Rangie for 15 years but like yours got too old and repairs were too expensive.
The extras on a Grande is well worth the extra dollars.
You can always buy a trailer if you want to carry dirt or other things but have the comfort all the time like the Rangie
Regards
Ted
AnswerID: 368555

Reply By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 14:51

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 14:51
I just brought a GXL 120 Prado and brother in law just brought a SR5 Hilux. Personally i would go either, but it depends on what you will use it for. I myself think that the they are both overpriced, no doubt. Especially the Hilux as in the latest 4wd Action Ute of the year tests, it didnt even get a mention, and it was about 15k more then the competitors. Very Hard to justify the price really. Toyotas definitely arent cheap no matter what you buy, but you are buying quality. Cant comment on auto or petrol, never driven or been in a 4wd auto or petrol.
AnswerID: 368556

Reply By: Member - Gary J (NSW) - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 15:42

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 15:42
Nissan is better than Toyota.

There, I couldn't resist!

Moderator, come and get me.
AnswerID: 368560

Reply By: mjdolan - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 16:23

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 16:23
Steve,

Have had current shape 2003 GXL Prado since new, 145k's and no significant problem other than an issue with the A/C compressor - replaced under warranty.

No where near it's use by date.

The unit just go's & go's, no stopping it. Intend to keep it for another 5+ yrs & another 100,000 k's before replacement

Enjoy which ever one you opt for.

Michael
AnswerID: 368563

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 20:24

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 20:24
Steve

I have on occasions driven Prado's at work in the NT.

I have been unimpressed by them and would never buy one. My suggestion to you would be to work out whether or station wagon or a twin cab suits you needs and then try a range of different vehicles to find which best suit you.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 368609

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 23:19

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 23:19
"140,000km is near its use by date". Surely not !!!! Should barely be run in, shouldn't it ??
AnswerID: 368656

Follow Up By: tim_c - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 12:10

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 12:10
Don't forget he was referring to a Rangie! :)
FollowupID: 636425

Sponsored Links