Power sockets

Submitted: Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 11:35
ThreadID: 6956 Views:1757 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
Any advise on this matter would be greatly received .........
I am about to fit two pairs of 105A/h 6V batteries to my campertrailer which will give me two independant 12V supplies to run my Waeco fridge for extended periods. My question is .......
if I fit externaly, two 12V panel mounted lighted sockets on short heavy guage cables, do you think this would work and be suffient for my application. It has been suggested that I change the lighter plug on the Waeco to something more substancial which would also mean changing the sockets. I am hesitant to do this as I also like the convenience of being able to plug the existing standard set-up into the rear socket of the vehicle. Your thoughts ?

Regards,
Bazza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 12:54

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 12:54
Bazza,

The general consensus is that the cigarette lighter sockets are woefully inadequate for running a fridge and will cause significant voltage drops as well as potentially overheating.

Dump them and fit proper sockets (Hella do a good one) to the camper trailer.

While you are at it, fit a similar socket (or two) to the back of your 4WD and run heavy gauge cable directly from the battery to power them.
AnswerID: 29771

Reply By: Bazza - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 15:48

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 15:48
Joe,
Thank you for responce. I have taken your advice, in part, and ordered plugs and sockets from Hella. ( socket part no. 4918 & lighter/din plug part no. 4952 )
The lighter/din plug is a new item from Hella which allows it to be used with it's specific matching socket or with a standard lighter socket. I think this may be the best sollution to my situation as it will still allow me to use the existing socket in my 4WD. I understand what you are saying about up-grading the 4 WD socket and wiring but up untill now it has'nt caused a problem with the opperation of the Waeco.
I thank you again for your advice.
Regards,
Bazza
AnswerID: 29786

Reply By: Bne Lad - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 21:19

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 21:19
Bazza,
Don't forget, if you connect anything to your battery direct, it needs to be fused.
The last thing you want, is your nice new heavy guage wiring rubbing metal and causing a fire. Use a suitable fuse according to the guage of the wire. Formula used is 3A per 0.5mm of wire.
I concur with the cigarette lighter outlets, they don't provide an adequate connection. The Hella plugs are very good and capable of high amp continuous running.

Cheers Mate.
Steve
AnswerID: 29816

Follow Up By: Tuco69 - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 21:49

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 21:49
The Hella Din sockets and plugs at http://www.hella.com.au/ are rated 8Amp @ 12V or 4Amp @ 24V.
The beauty of this design is that once pluged in - the connection is positive and not likely to accidentally become disconnected like the cigarette type sockets can.

Tuco
FollowupID: 20887

Reply By: brett - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 03:20

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 03:20
The plug on the Waeco is fine, it should have a red bit on it which when you pull it off it will plug into the Hella style socket which as said before is far better than a lighter socket.The cable and plug that comes with the Waeco will do the job no worries, people only have trouble when they plug this into a normal cigarette lighter type socket, get bad connection and also too much voltage drop.
AnswerID: 29852

Reply By: Bazza - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 08:54

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 08:54
Thanks guys for all your advice. I have taken it all in and will act on it accordingly.
Interesting info on the Waeco plug. I have been using it for a while in the rear of the 4WD, with no problems, but did'nt notice that the plug was duel designed to fit a Hella socket and standard lighter. Good to know.

Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 29860

Sponsored Links