Back from Bush

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 23:28
ThreadID: 69575 Views:2379 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just got back from Alice Springs tonight.

I really appreciated the messages of goodwill when I announced this trip.

I think recent discussions put the moccas on the Disco and it dumped its ATF when the joint between the hose and the ATF radiator popped apart. There was a sudden decoupling of the engine from the wheels. A quick look underneath revealed lots of pink fluid p---ing from somewhere up front. Luckily we we only 15 ks from Mt Liebig and I was able to fix the connector, limp into Mt Liebig, and replenish with ATF - well nearly. They only had a 800 mls of ATF at Mt Liebig so we limped to Papunya where thay had plenty. Was able to telephone my mechanic for advice using satphone.

My son was going to drive the car home but I thought it best to get it sorted first so he flew home too. Can't complain about the price of tickets with Tiger- $30 from Alice to Adelaide!

My old man survived OK but his 83 yo knees barely stood up to the hike up to the Wartupunya Water Hole in the Siddeley Range. Some 18 yo Dimple seemed to give him some relief.

Route: We headed out through Glen Helen to Haasts Bluff, Papunya then to Yuendumu. Back down to the Newhaven Road. West through Newhaven to Nyrripi. Then SW to the SBJ, down the SBJT to the Davenport Range. Back along the Kintore Rd to Alice.

The road out through Newhaven, Nyrripi and on to the SBJ was all new to me.

Lucky the Disco didn't kark it between Nyrripi and the SBJ. We'd still be there.

But then, that wouldn't be so bad either.

Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: blue one - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 07:47

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 07:47
Bob,
Other than the hiccup glad to hear all went well.

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 368781

Reply By: Member - Bradby(QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 11:01

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 11:01
Gidday Bob. Glad the trip went well overall. Can you tell me what the condition of the SBJT was like. I'm travelling the full length of it from South to North in 3 weeks?

Appreciate you advice.
AnswerID: 369079

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 17:28

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 17:28
Bradby

We only did the top section this time (between the SBJ and the Davenport Range).

The long straight section of 40 km that runs south from Mt Leisler is shockingly corrugated.

Last October the rest of the track was in good nick- it doesn't seem to vary much.

Bob
FollowupID: 636611

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 19:44

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 19:44
Nice work Bob,

I take it there is not much traffic west of Nyrripi? What's the track like?

Any 83 year old who's hiking around ranges must be doing OK.

Have you any pictures of Siddeley Range or the waterhole?

Regards
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 369192

Sponsored Links