Handheld GPS advise

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 13:36
ThreadID: 69584 Views:2564 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Recently purchased a Magellan triton 300 gps . Although i have only just familiarised myself with it i have found that it chews batteries at an alarming rate and even with only the 9mb aus map pre load it has already used 77% of it's memory. Can anyone advise me on a better machine be it a garmin or other brand. More research on the triton 300 done on the net shows it to rate very poorly.I should mention that i need the machine for prospecting and need to load topo maps etc.
Regards atfgold dave

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 14:16

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 14:16
Check this one out

Garmin Colorado 300

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 368830

Follow Up By: atfgold dave - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 14:26

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 14:26
Hi Doug
The Garmin 300 looks like it has heaps more to offer for around the same money. Thanks for the quick reply.
Regards Dave
FollowupID: 636328

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 15:02

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 15:02
Hi Doug,
I opened your link for the Colorado. I wonder what type of card is supplied with the unit, as the Garmin Topo Australia data is nearly 2gb in data.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 636333

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 16:24

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 16:24
Hell

The 300 doesnt come standard with any SD card (unless provided by specific dealers as a bonus). Can take up to 2gb SD card which is enough for all of Garmin Topo.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 636337

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 14:59

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 14:59
Hi Dave
I do not know what you are getting out of a set of batteries, but for my Garmin eTrex Vista HCx and GPSMAP 60CSx, I am getting about the 20 Hour Mark out of a set of batteries. I also have the Garmin Topo Australia Cards added as well gives great coverage - more than happy with both units.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 368832

Reply By: WillyWish - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 15:34

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 15:34
Magellan should recall all their Tritons, we had 4 for work and something went wrong with EVERY ONE of them! Pity, in my opinion they had a great name unit they released the Triton range. The Meridian series were super.

Go buy a Garmin GPSMap 60cx or similar and upload Shonky Maps onto it. Cant go wrong.

Magellan -> Garmin convert!

Cheers,
AnswerID: 368834

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 16:29

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 16:29
Hello

Yes I would recommend Garmin 60Cx as well, for above mentioned purpose. Much cheaper than the Colorado 300 mentioned above and beteer choice I my opinion (I have had both). I just purchased a 60cx for my mate - ~$390 with sd card included. Would also go Oztopo instead of Garmin Topo despite slightly higher cost...though this choice is highly debatable.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 636338

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 17:16

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 17:16
Hi Greg
What is the difference between Oztopo and the Garmin Topo Australia. From your experience, does it have more details?

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 636344

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 18:08

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 18:08
Hi - my comment is not based on rigourous comparison and is more for others to follow up on as I probably wont. From small number of screen shots I have seen of the same areas, Oztopo has more tracks...I mentioned this in some other thread. Now every chance reverse is true for other areas I havent seen so Im not betting my life on it, but without any additional knowledge on subject would head down the Oztopo Path (my opinion/choice only) as it seems to be consistent trend.

Have to keep in mind of course that just because a track is shown doesnt mean it still exists or you are allowed to use it ...so more visbible tracks may be an unrealistic view of the situation in some areas ie Garmin Topo may in fact be OK anyway. Plus - do you need to know where every single track is or will 80-90% do the trick.

Garmin Topo has autorouting (for roads not tracks) so if that is on the agenda then this fact works in its favour, as Oztopo doesnt. Garmin Topo is also cheaper by ~$30 or $40.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 636349

Reply By: slammin - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 18:19

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 18:19
Garmin has more map options than the Magellan.

Have a look at the Oregon here http://www.octapc.com.au./prod196.htm excellent service and price. There are a number of models in the series 200 300 400 check out the advice as to differences. I'm getting the 400c (marine maps incl). The touch screen was the selling point and the included maps. Keep in mind that the 550 is due out soon. The only con I've come across on the net is that the screen is fairly dull but this is caused by the v.high resolution i(240 * 400) and the touch screen. Everything is a compromise.

The con with the Colorado and why I wouldn't touch it - is that there has been no software updates from Garmin so there are issues with inaccurate positions and why would you bother with a wheel and buttons when there is a touchscreen albeit a dull one for a small price hike.

Many people will recommend the 76 or 60 series by Garmin because they are a more known quantity and appear to be one of the most accurate units available. I chose the 400c over them though because the included maps and better resolution, and touch screen.

Keep in mind these are not auto voice turn by turn units. You can get city navigator but it will beep at you when there is a turn coming up.

I've just ordered the 400c and if the screen is too dull I'll put up a post in the forum here. The after sales service is crucial and you will find Nicko at Octapc 2nd to none.

Regards,

Sam.
AnswerID: 368844

Reply By: atfgold dave - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 21:57

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 21:57
Hi all
Thanks for the advise.Late reply due to using up all GB of net allowance on trying to work this piece of #$%@ out. I forgot to mention that it locks up if you zoom in or out and the batteries have to be removed to reboot.Have packed it back in box and driving from Carwell to Townsville tomorrow to get refund. Garmin replacement to follow.
Kind Regards to all
Dave.

AnswerID: 369030

Follow Up By: KennyBWilson - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 08:19

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 08:19
Hi atfgold dave,

The Garmin 60Csx has got the brightest screen and can last up to 18 hours on rechargeable batteries, it's easier and quicker to navigate around. The Oregon is also a good choice with lots of bells and whistles but has poorer screen brightness and battery life. I would wait for the TopoOzV3 to be released before buying a map but you can download Shonkymaps for free which has very good detail in remote areas.
FollowupID: 636543

Reply By: slammin - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 20:28

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 20:28
Check GPS forums. Getting lots of reports that with the latest firmware upgrade the Oregon is as now as accurate as the venerable 60.
AnswerID: 369208

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:07

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:07
Just make sure you get one that uses the SiRF III chipset - they are SO much better at picking up satellites when under tree cover.

e.g 60C doesn't - 60CX does.
AnswerID: 369287

Follow Up By: atfgold dave - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:10

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:10
Hi Mike
Good point,most of the prospecting areas in Vic & central Qld are heavily timbered with lots of tree cover. It doesn't take long to lose sight of vehicle in this type of country, hence the need for a reliable GPS. I've decided on a Garman 60CXS unit.

Thanks to you and all who responded.

Regards
Dave
FollowupID: 636894

Sponsored Links