Advice on buying 2nd hand camper trailer

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 19:43
ThreadID: 69593 Views:5997 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. In the next few months we hope to buy a second hand camper trailer.

We would prefer an Odyssey Signature by Australian Offroad Campers but depending on availability may settle for an Aussie Swag or a Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition or Platinum.

My questions are:
(1) We drive a Landcruiser 100 series with a Kaymar dual wheel carrier. Will any of these campers have a problem with the wheel carrier or the Landcruiser's drop down tailgate?
(2) We are unlikely to find matched wheels and track for the Landcruiser. Apart from the convenience of having 9 wheels and tyres interchangeable, are there any issues with different wheel/tyre sizes?
(3) Any hints when buying second hand camper trailers? What are the biggest issues to look for?

Thanks!
Rod, Perth

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Louie the fly (SA) - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 19:59

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 19:59
We bought a second hand camper trailer some years ago. Make sure you thoroughly check the floor, all of the zips and all of the mesh. The one we bought had a crook zip and mesh in the door. I knew a canvas guy so I got a price to fix it. I negotiated a good price for the camper knowing I was going to spend $100 plus it needed a new cover (all up about $280).

Little did I know how much trouble it was to become to remove and refit the canvas to the trailer. A real PITA in fact.

I wouldn't think you will have trouble with the tailgate, etc. I tow a boat with a wagon with a lift back and have no problems at all. The tailgate clears the pointy end by about 6 inches. As for wheel track, you can always get that sorted out. I think it's more of an issue on rutted tracks and soft sand.

Louie
AnswerID: 368860

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 20:04

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 20:04
Whatever camper you end up buying, you may be able to change the hubs to suit the 5 stud 100/105 series Landcruiser stud pattern, and use some 100 series Landcruiser IFS rims, as what is on your Landcruiser.
AnswerID: 368864

Follow Up By: Rod, Sydney - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 06:58

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 06:58
Thanks Louie & Andrew - I'll not list matched wheels as a "must have". Cheers
Rod, Perth

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 636392

Reply By: getmethehelloutahere - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 20:13

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 20:13
This web site gives some hints on buying a new and used camper. http://www.campertrailers.org/ask_a_salesman.htm
regards
Tim
AnswerID: 368865

Follow Up By: Rod, Sydney - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 21:40

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 21:40
Thanks - great checklist.
Rod, Perth

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 636375

Reply By: Member - Puffin (NT) - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 08:30

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 08:30
G'day Rod,
We bought an Odyssey Export from AORC 12 months ago, new. They are top shelf CTs and our first choice after a couple of years of looking and testing. We have a rear single spare tyre carrier on our LC 100 series and AORC extended the A frame of the CT by 10 cm to allow for the swing of the carrier. The AT35 hitch, standard with AORC CTs, does not interfere with the lowering of the tailgate. We also had the 5 stud landcruiser wheels fitted to match the cruiser. There are many issues with the choice of a CT to purchase, the main one of course is your budget, how much are you willing to pay, are you young and fit or elderly. Do you have kids? If you're young and fit then a soft floor CT may be your go. Soft floor campers generally take more effort to erect than hard floor campers. Visit as many manufacturers as you can and also visit the camping and caravan shows around the country. The two makers you mentioned are high quality campers but IMHO AORC CTs build quality and attention to detail put them ahead. I hope you find the CT you are looking for, good luck.

PuffinImage Could Not Be Found Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 368895

Follow Up By: Rod, Sydney - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 07:19

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 07:19
Hi Puffin. Thanks for the tip on the extended A-frame - that is the sort of issue that would be easy to overlook when researching. Cheers
Rod, Perth

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 636538

Sponsored Links