suspension upgrade for disco

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 30, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 696 Views:1853 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Any and all suggestions/advice would be appreciated. I currently drive a 98 discovery tdi and tow an offroad camper trailer. The disco is closing in on 100000k and with an upcoming trip in which we will be carrying 4 adults and 2 kids roof rack and camper on the back it is time to seriously look whats happening under the car. I have had one quote of $1270 to replace shockies (pedders) and upgrade coils.
Car is also my work vehicle with mainly city commuting so need a compromise between city/medium offroad
thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2002 at 01:00
Scott i would ask the question www.discowed.org . But discoweb is down at the moment while moving servers. They have a link run by the same webmaster. www.expeditionexchange.com Ask the question in the message board.
AnswerID: 1870

Reply By: Mark - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2002 at 01:00

Scott,

I had the suspension done on my 97 TDI recently, after much research posting on forums and ringing around it seemed that Bilsteins were the most popular choice for the Disco so I went for raised springs (Dobinsons) and Bilsteins all round. I was a little concerned that the raised heavier springs would be a bit stiff when unladen but I must say the handling and ride has improved quite a bit. When fully laden there is a big improvement in handling and the car is much easier to control than previously, the car also sits straight even with 350 kilos of extra gear on board and no more bottoming out when off roading. My setup cost around $1200 also fully installed. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 1877

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2002 at 01:00

G'day Scott'
Talk to Anthony at Graham Coopers 02 95502689 for the coils and for shocks get Rancho's there adjustable so great on & off road
AnswerID: 1878

Reply By: Steve - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2002 at 01:00

Scott: do yourself a favour and keep away from the salesmen who upsell all the time !

I reckon a pair of Polyair Springs--- (Pressure bags) are what you need in your situation.. check them out, they did the exact same 'fix' for me and I would not hesitate in recommending them...heaps of Outback and Desert work and they are still the best $400 bucks I ever spent !

Steve
AnswerID: 1886

Reply By: Mark Wilson - Thursday, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:00
Scott,
I've got a 95 Disco Tdi automatic. I recently replaced my shocks, the old ones were starting to weep fluid. On advice from the local 4WD place I had them install 4 new Nitro chargers. They are terrific and have smoothed out the ride enormously. With the old shocks I found that particularly when cornering on corrugated surfaces the vehicle had a tendancy to walk of line. This doesn't happen now. They cost $500 to install. I haven't replaced the coils as they were done prior to me purchasing the vehicle 2 years ago.
The othe thing I did was install a set of polyairs. They are everything they claim to be. They also cost $500 to install. Isn't it amasing how everything seems to cost $500 or multiples of $500 when your maintaining a 4WD vehicle.
Anyway for an all up cost of $1,000 I am very happy with the result. The beauty of the polyairs is once you pack the vehicle you can adjust each polyair to ensure your vehicle is level.
Hope this helps, Mark
AnswerID: 1888

Reply By: max200tdi - Thursday, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:00
Scott,

Factory springs do sag. Even if you replace them, they'll sag again. Your're better off with aftermarket ones, Lovells or Kings. The ARB ones are made by Kings.

Like others I've found the firmer ride with the HD springs, 2" lift, much better to drive on & off road. My Bilsteins have been on now for about 200,000 kms, can't recommend them highly enough.

Polyairs? Never had them. Why not load everything up before hand & see if there needed.

Regards
Max P
http://home.off-road.com/~tusker
AnswerID: 1889

Reply By: Tim - Friday, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:00
scott check with your insurance co first,mine advised no cover for any lift over one inch,others will cover my vehicle with 2 inch lift but at double the normal insurance cost,i have 60 % no claim.
AnswerID: 1908

Reply By: jeremy - Friday, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:00
Scott, I own a 95 TDI Discovery that i run tag-a-long tours in, and i also work in a OL store using and fitting suspension on all makes, OE spring are most under done and thats why the diso went to a set of sway bars, the best option is a set os 2 inch raised coils most aftermarket one are really good (most come out of same factory)As for shocks, Billies, Koni's all come highly recomended for the landies and you cant go past the foam cell shocks of today, Rancho and Tough Dog do a great foam cell that will give i think the best all round ability, definatly in genral comfort, I run Koni's which are adjsutable and have used billies which are great but can seem a little firm. With the H/D coils you can throw away your sway bar if you like ......rides just fine coz the springs are strong enough to handle it, just remember in real rough stuff this will give you greater wheel travel but can make shockers bottom out more (shocks are the only thing stopping diff)this is only the case in extreme 4wd work. as for poly airs.... i have run them in 2 vehicles and never had much sucsess with them !!!....but they are a good thing, our training with them are that they are more made for the odd accasion when you need to tow or load the back of your vehicle and the Poly-airs assist the spring do its job !......they are not made to fix badly sagged springs or stuffed shockers......poly-airs also restrict the coils from moving in its natral way and can make a harsher ride when pumped up hard......... i feel that if you get the correct springs in the first place you will not need them......unless you intent to tow a huge van on an odd occasion ????
I have done etensive work with landrover suspensions so don't hesitate to email me if you like !
Hope that all helps, Jeremy
Check out my Web Site www.murraytrek.com.au
AnswerID: 1910

Follow Up By: Scott - Saturday, Feb 02, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Feb 02, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to go for the Rancho RS9000 shocks to start with and see how that goes. Will look at doing the springs after a couple of trips. I dont believe the springs are in to bad a shape at this point and will also give some time to restock the coffers. Have just put new BFG's all round and electric brakes on the trailer are essential before next trip in a month or so
thanks again
FollowupID: 658

Sponsored Links