Bread storage

Submitted: Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 19:17
ThreadID: 69623 Views:2502 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
We are travelling the Hay River leaving on friday so we are fine tuning the gear. I am reading Viv moons cookbook (My bible for the last 3 years!) and she says to store white bread wrapped individually in its plastic bag, then a couple sheets of newspaper then alfoil and place in a cardboard box BUT then goes on to say buy brown/rye bread store in an air tight comtainer. So which lasts longer?? We have always just used mountain bread but I want to try bread stored!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 19:22

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 19:22
Yikes, my cultural knowledge is sadly lacking. What the heck is "mountain " bread ?
I suspect that Rye bread will last longer, but someone is sure to contradict me :))
AnswerID: 368990

Follow Up By: Carlin - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 19:26

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 19:26
mountain bread is flat bread that lasts up to 3 weeks. I know rye lasts longer but do I put it in air tight container or breathable container?
FollowupID: 636480

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 19:29

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 19:29
Thank you, I've never heard of it before.
Air tight will keep it longer.
FollowupID: 636484

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 19:27

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 19:27
Hi Carlin

The death of bread is controlled by two key factors - the oxygen in the loaf and the amount of preservatives in it.

Normally we buy/make bread without preservatives and it only lasts a couple of days non-forzen.

For our trip up the Hay , we did our usual thing of buying standard supermarket packaged bread which has preservatives.

We then suck air out of the plastic bag until it starts to collapse around the slices and then tie of the end.
This significantly reduces the oxygen content.

With this approach , this bread will easily last a week kept out of the sun.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 368991

Follow Up By: Carlin - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 19:34

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 19:34
Right! So get air out, put in air tight container, and buy brown bread with heaps of preservatives in it. Will it not sweat? Did you put in air tight container? how many loaves did you take to get up Hay River? Did you buy bread in Birdsville or just from home? We leave Gladstone on Friday afternoon to meet groupd in Birdsville sunday lunch. How long did it last? Did you buy Brown? Sorry for so many questions!
FollowupID: 636487

Follow Up By: Carlin - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 19:36

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 19:36
opps sorry I read again and it lasted a week.
FollowupID: 636488

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 20:26

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 20:26
Hi Carlin

We took 6 loves of bread (4 people) brought at Pt Augusta about 8-900km from Birdsville and it lasted almost two weeks, with some slight mould on a couple of slices towards the end.
(but our trip up the hay was only 5 days from Birdsville).

It sort of is inside an airtight container (its plastic bag) , but with so many brands out there, they may not all have airtight bags , but if this was the case then the slight compression of the bread from sucking the air out would relax and be visible in which case put a second bag over it.

The problem with an air tight container is that it contains internal air.

We brought 1/2 white and 1/2 wholemeal coles bread, normallywouldn't buy it but it is toughter than stuff like Helga's.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 636496

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 20:14

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 20:14
We use Helgas Soy and Linseed, put 2 loaves of it into a tin cake container (it keeps the light out) and it lasts 2 weeks on a winter desert trip.
AnswerID: 369002

Reply By: Member - Troopy's Crew - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 21:01

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 21:01
Wrapping sliced bread in its plastic bag in newspaper does work, though there may be a few spots of mould after 10 days or so. Why stick to just sliced bread. You could try a damper, bake your own bread or make a pasta or rice salad. The isolation along the Hay River track will inspire you to be creative!

Spent 10 days at and around Batton Hill a couple of years ago - lunch every day was mountain bread, which really did become monotonous.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 369017

Follow Up By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 21:23

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 21:23
Have to agree with Val - does/did become monotonous but is useful to have! It is nice and flat for packing and constructing a "sandwich" from it is very quick . It's best when made in the morning and then taken out to eat at lunchtime. We'll include some on this year's trip.
BTW - enjoy the Hay trip - it's wonderful!
Megan
FollowupID: 636514

Reply By: Roughasguts - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:08

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:08
Hmmmm.. Mountain bread! or flat bread! it's just flour water and salt.
No wonder you get over it pretty quickly. Think I would get some crusketts SAO biscuits and the like to mix it up a bit. Or as said make some damper for more taste.

AnswerID: 369033

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:42

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:42
All of these are good suggestions.

I used flat bread on my last trip and it was great. Very versatile and by mixing up the brands and types a bit you do get some variety.

Nothing is easier to store and carry and it keeps well. I don't find it any more boring than your good old slices but slices get beaten up and go stale pretty quick.

Duncs
FollowupID: 636529

Reply By: Member - John & Sally W (NSW) - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:48

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:48
Hi Carlin,
Whole grain bread also stays a bit fresher as the moistness in the grains seems to help. If you can find a country baker eg., Cunnamulla and buy the big hi top uncut loaves they also last for a couple of weeks wrapped in grease proof paper and stored in a clean pillow case. Depends on how many you intend to feed, its a bit awkward to carry half a dozen loaves. Vita wheats are fairly robust and taste great with jam, cheese, vegemite, tomato,or tinned ham or fish. Very versatile.
Cheers, Sally
AnswerID: 369042

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:18

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:18
Carlin, in Birdsville you can buy frozen sliced bread - white, brown, grain.
At the Birdsville Bakery you can buy fresh bread, depending on the mood of Dusty the Baker (I am quite serious) but don't expect to be able to buy soy/linseed or rye - and in most cases, you buy what he gives you. (He's quite nice, if a little eccentric).
The last reply is a good idea - I usually make my own bread - but if travelling in the right times and places I prefer to buy the old high top married loaf (as they used to call them) from an old fashioned baker not one of the new bread shops (a little plug here for the hole-in-the-wall bakery at Mitchell, Q - absolutely brilliant and bakes gluten free everything on Thursdays). Now, coming from Gladstone -are you going to Longreach - good bakery there.Quilpie also has a good bakery where, if early enough or if you order, you could get high topped loaves (not sliced keeps better). The frozen sliced bread in Birdsville comes from Quilpie Bakery (at Shell AUto and Mobil - both sell it).
Best bread of all is Heinemanns Bakery in Charleville - even the sliced keeps well out in the desert. I don't like to keep bread in the bags they come in - particularly in the car as they tend to sweat. Wrap in old tea towel or linen cloth - don't take extra containers, such a pain.
Have fun - don't stress about the bread or anything else - you won't be out there that long and never heard of anyone dying of starvation on a camping trip, strange that - most people put on weight. (Don't forget the chocolate - for any emergency whatever).
AnswerID: 369093

Follow Up By: Carlin - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:37

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:37
What recipe and technique do you use to bake own bread? I really want to try I love baking on the camping after the 2 toddlers have gone to bed. It is my down time and the grou loves the morning teas!!
FollowupID: 636566

Follow Up By: Carlin - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:40

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:40
That was .... I love baking on the "campfire"! and the "group" loves it! Typos!!! sorry
FollowupID: 636567

Reply By: Carlin - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:39

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:39
Thanks everyone. My 2 toddlers love their bread and I know it fills them up and keeps them happy! I am going to try the suck the air out with multigrain woolworths bread. Agree???
AnswerID: 369100

Sponsored Links