Egg substitute

Submitted: Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 19:24
ThreadID: 69625 Views:5357 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
So viv moon also mentions egg substitutes ..... 1 egg=1tbls of milk + 2 tbls of custard powder OR 2 eggs =1 tbl of vinegar ....... has any used that egg powder? where in the supermarket can I get that?? I need eggs for my baking in camp oven.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Amy G (SA) - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:19

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:19
You can buy egg substitute in the health food aisle at the supermarket- you mix the powder with water and use this instead of an egg. I used it for several years with good results.

The milk and custard powder one sounds like it would be okay for binding but might impart flavour (could be ok depending on what you are baking!) and the vinegar is useful for aerating things that have bicarb soda or similar added.

It really depends on what you are baking- these should be ok in cakes and muffins. However, unless you are taking vinegar and custard powder as part of your normal food rations, I'd be tempted just to buy a box of the egg substitute and take that instead- less space and more reliable!
AnswerID: 369035

Follow Up By: Carlin - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:42

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:42
Thanks I will buy that. By the time I buy 2 dozen eggs for the breakfast cookups I didnt want to have to carry more! I bake cookies, cakes, pikelets, pies..... I am sure the substitute will work fine. It is only to keep it all together! Would you use it in a quiche??
FollowupID: 636568

Follow Up By: Member - Amy G (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 19:07

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 19:07
Hello,

Absolutely no quiche (or anything else that resembles an egg!)- it is really a starchy powder with some raising agents and binders that is really useful for baking as you have mentioned. Take the real eggs for brekky and the substitute for your baking :)

Cheers,
Amy
FollowupID: 636644

Reply By: Member - Troopy's Crew - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:23

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:23
Carlin

Custard powder works fine as an egg substitute. You should find it in the baking section of your supermarket - if you can find a staff person ask them!
Better still take some eggs - they will stand the rigours of the Hay River track. They go great with bacon too...

Cheers
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 369036

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:51

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:51
We rarely buy eggs when travelling (probably because i know there will be loads at home, as my daughter doesn't eat eggs). As much as i love them and cook with them a lot at home, i can do without eggs when travelling.

Porridge or cereal for breakfast is quick and easy to wash up after, and i don't cook cakes or the likes when travelling. If we do take eggs and travel on rough roads, i put the egg carton in a plastic container in the fridge, so if one cracks it won't make a mess. Eggs keep just about forever refrigerated. I can't imagine the substitutes doing justice to your cooking. We had powered egg when we were at boarding school - not a nice result - but then again same applied to most of the food they dished up to us.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 369043

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:07

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:07
Carlin, I just take eggs - have never had any broken or ruined in and around all the Simpson! Have fun.
AnswerID: 369092

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 13:00

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 13:00
I have tried egg substitute. Just passable scrambled but very disppointing fried or poached. . And I like my eggs fried or poached. Reminds me of one of my favourite Fawlty Towers episodes.
AnswerID: 369103

Reply By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 13:35

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 13:35
I just can imagine a bacon and custard burger for breakfast....ugh I think I just dry retched!

;) Matt.
AnswerID: 369108

Sponsored Links