poer transformer in Jayco Hawk

Submitted: Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 21:10
ThreadID: 69631 Views:7578 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there I am looking for someone who has a camper of a similar vintage as ours, which is a 2001 Jayco Hawk these have 12v lights in the with a transformer to bring the 240v down to 12v and I am wanting to put a battery system in to the camper to run these lights when away from 240v.

It has a Centurion CS2000 swiching power converter in it and according to the manual it is able to be used as a battery charger.

So what I would like to know following from anyone who has a simillar aged camper or a camper whith one of these transformers and has it set up for charging a battery.

1) how did you do it
2) what size battery did you use and how long does it run the lights for
3) did you need to do any thing extra for the lights to wor from the battery

thanks to all in advance
Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GerryP - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 22:28

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 22:28
Hi Jason,

Had a similar vintage Dove a few years ago now - probably had a similar power supply/battery charger in it located under the front of the seat. I fitted it with a sealed battery after I bought it and placed in under the seat just behind the charger. I do recall there were terminals there marked for battery connection and simply connected it using reasonably heavy wires.

From memory, I reckon I also had a manual that came with the van describing the charger and how/where to connect everything. Once done, the lights simply work automatically from either power or battery depending on whether or not you are plugged into 240V - nothing extra to do.

The standard lights in my Jayco were simply incandescent globes, so it would be good to be a little careful as they can drain your battery down reasonably quickly, although you will get quite a few hours, even with all the lights ablaze. If I still had mine, I reckon I'd have sourced replacement LED's by now, but the best is to experiment and see for yourself how long the battery lasts under your 'normal' use.

I know I haven't been very specific, but I hope it helps.

Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 369230

Reply By: rags - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 23:06

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 23:06
Hi Jason
As Gerry said it can be done,my 99 vintage camper has it done with the help of a electo techo 's help,mounted battery in box on draw bar same size and brand as my prados 2nd battery so as i can exchange them when van sits for extended periods unused although always leave plugged in when stored in the shed which charges battery. Longest period i have probably used the van lights for with out charging would be 4 nights.Have also ran wire from car 2nd battery to van plug to enable running lights if needed or i can just swap batteries from car to van and then can charge up battery by running car.
I also have just found leds for jayco light globe replacements on ebay/jayco which i am going to try.
To answer your questions
1 help of a electrical wizz
2 bigger the better depends on if you mount internal or external on draw bar
3 no but will be trying LED S as above
hope this assists
Russell
AnswerID: 369238

Sponsored Links