Why replace old Jayco?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 14:49
ThreadID: 69653 Views:6043 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there, we have a 1988 Jayco Dove which we've owned for about 6 years. It is still very functional and well looked after. It has a few minor rust spots on the chassis, a few small canvas tears here and there but mostly still in good condition. It has a two burner gas stove and no 12v system installed (that I know of!). The two kids aren't getting any smaller and now no longer share the end bed, having one each.
I, the wife, would like to update it by a few years to a nicer, more modern interior and some mod cons, ie. microwave, etc. I'm thinking of a slightly larger model Jayco, perhaps the Flamingo or Eagle and probably around a 2000ish model. Trying to convince the husband that this is a good thing has been the most difficult of achievements. I wonder if anyone out there can give some good argument as to why we should (or shouldn't) replace our old Jayco with a newer model.
Cheers
Michelle
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 15:08

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 15:08
You answered your own question when you said quote

"I, the wife, would like to update it by a few years to a nicer, more modern interior and some mod cons, ie. microwave, etc"

If you didn't care for the nicer more modern then you wouldn't upgrade. If you weren't using it a lot then that would be another reason to update. If you can afford it and would like the nicer more modern bla bla bla then go fot it.

There are no specific reasons when comparing the newer models, the newer models have some more bells and whistles and extra features and later thinking applied to them but at the end of the day they do the same job, albeit one with a little more luxury. Luxury is hard to put a price on, your choice.
AnswerID: 369117

Reply By: Micknmark - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 15:18

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 15:18
Thanks, I sort of thought that as I was writing. I guess what I need is someone who could talk 'man' ... you know, techno stuff that would give us good reason to upgrade, ie. lighter/fuel economy, chassis differences, etc. I talk 'woman' as you realised in my first post! LOL.
AnswerID: 369121

Follow Up By: tim_c - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 15:25

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 15:25
Couldn't you just get the seats etc. re-covered to update a bit? Get one of the cupboards updated to fit the microwave, etc.? Isn't the Dove a 5-berth? in which case the two kids shouldn't have to share a bed.

If you can afford an upgrade, it's always nice, but you'll end up losing a bit in depreciation, changeover costs, etc. which could go a fair way to some minor changes to your existing one. If it ain't broke...
FollowupID: 636588

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 16:48

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 16:48
Hi Michelle,
Last week we purchased a 88ish Jayco Swan.The owner wasn't sure because he has modified the chassis and therefor the compliance plate has changed. He has given it about a 6" lift to be an off road van.
We are 2 adults, 3 kids between the ages of 10 1/2 and 7. We are very comfortable in it. We have just put it to the test with a two night stay over at Brooms Head.
It has a small Microwave as an extra, and a two burner cook top that I well change to a bit bigger Four burner soon. Fysh is pretty handy with the sewing machine and will make covers for the seating and cushions. I'm a carpenter and will slowly change the interior colours from the old timber panel look.
There were two Flamingo's at the park and to me they didno't seem that much bigger than our swan, There were a couple of late model Eagle and they did seem to be a little smaller.
Check out the sizes here, Jayco Floor Plans.
You can also take a visual tour Here of the vans.

Hope this helps.

AnswerID: 369137

Reply By: Camoco - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 16:48

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 16:48
Hi Michelle,
I would think that the reasoning behind updating a van would be similar to the reasoning behind updating a car. In my opinion there is more reason to update the van as you spend more of your leisure time in it than in the car as such.

It really depends on the amount you use the van, but a newer one may get you into solar and water tanks etc, to be a bit more self sufficient as well. You may need to change brands to get that, but don't let that stop you.

You may be able to get a decent trade depending on the stock a dealer has.

I would use arguments along the lines of function and longer term reliability and perhaps even the insurance aspect. We have a 1973 Millard that is a nightmare to get insurance on even though effectively it is only a year old as I have replaced pretty much everything. The closer it gets to 25 years, the dearer the premiums.

You may even be able to look at getting a good one that has a fairly windtight annex for putting the growing rowdy ones into. That would probably help both yourselves and the kids.

Look for heaps of extras as the motivation for upgrading as that usually sways me.

Hopefully your hubby doesn't want to hang on to the van like we men hang on to our undies, because on that point, you'll never get into a new one no matter how much wear and tear. :)

Cheers Cam.
AnswerID: 369138

Reply By: HGMonaro - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 16:57

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 16:57
The bigger wind-ups still have the same two bed ends so not sure how getting a newer (& bigger) one is going to solve that issue. You can make the lounge area of a Swan or Eagle into a bed but that has it's drawbacks... does everyone goto sleep at the same time? etc. Generally, anything newer will be heavier... put more mod cons in them it all adds to the weight. Up size and there's more weight, so any arguement regarding fuel economy isn't going to work!

Cheers, Nige
AnswerID: 369141

Reply By: Micknmark - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 16:59

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 16:59
Thanks to Jon and Camco for your replies.
Cam ... the undies analogy is interestingly funny ... obviously all guys are the same in that regard! LOL. I can't believe my DH has been so solid in his stand on not selling the van. Honestly, you'd think it was a KINGSWOOD! The turning point came this weekend when my constant commenting got the better of him and he told me that he's selling it to shut me up! Of course, on the serious side I would really like proper justification for replacing it. Your comments have given me food for thought.

Thanks Jon for your comments. Having had the van for 6 years we've had a heap of fun in it but its really just starting to get old and whilst I could jazzy up the covers, replacing the interior really isn't within our skills and ability. I investigated the cost of changing some of the interior last year and was horrified at the cost of cabinetry. I'm at the stage where I think the van in its current condition (which is still very good) would be great for someone just starting out. I'm ready to move on ... budget pending.

Cheers
Michelle
AnswerID: 369142

Reply By: Micknmark - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 17:05

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 17:05
Thanks Nige ... you're no help! LOL. I was hoping for it being a lighter chassis not heavier. Sleeping really isn't an issue. My kids are 10 and 13, the 13yo sleeps in the end bed, the little one on the dining table conversion. Lights are out whilst they're sleeping and we're still up (and out of the van usually). I'm happy to boot them out to the annex asap anyway! LOL. I think the new or bigger Jayco's have a bigger bed, ie. queen size, than the Dove (my year anyway). Unfortunately with age, we're not getting any thinner either so that could be a bonus! LOL. I don't know anything about chassis or the framework but am gathering from comments already made that other than moderninity, looks and age, there's really not much difference. I guess I just WANT A NEW(ER) ONE, LOL.
Cheers
Michelle
AnswerID: 369143

Reply By: HGMonaro - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 17:54

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 17:54
no, not much help! You're right about the beds ends in newer ones being a queen at one end and a double at the other. We have a Goldstream that's the same layout as the Swan and our 2 kids sleep on the queen (we got the matress split into two so they get tucked in seperately) and we get the double.

Remodeling the interior would only be feasible if you did the work yourself. Paying someone is always going to be expensive. Better putting that money towards a newer one I'd think.

Cheers, Nige.
AnswerID: 369156

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 18:06

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 18:06
Your spot on Nige, it wouldn't pay to have some else do the work for you.
I'm lucky I've got a trade behind me that I can put to good use with a lot of things, others aren't so fortunate to be able to do the work themselves.
So then your right about that money being better spent going towards a replacement.

FollowupID: 636622

Reply By: Ozboc - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 16:59

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 16:59
Hi there , we have the Flamingo and its not a "LITTLE" bigger , its a LOT bigger than the dove

upgrade - you bet - you will love it, so much more room -- really does feel like home ....

the only reason i would sell mine would be to upgrade to something newer - or if the $$ came in a bushtracker :)

Boc
AnswerID: 369346

Sponsored Links