Putty Rd for caravans

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 15:25
ThreadID: 69654 Views:6053 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All,

Can anyone advise me of the above .I will be towing a 23ft van with a100 series V8, travelling north.I will be greatfull for any advise .

Regards Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 15:31

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 15:31
Yes Bob
my advice would be to drive within the speed limit and keep left!!!!!!!!

This is a Main Road that has a few twists in it, drive carefully and no problem.
Cheers Colin.
AnswerID: 369122

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 15:35

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 15:35
And where possible allow following traffic to overtake.

On some of the bends there is a tendancy for on comming traffic to cut the corners, but I usually found them to be few and far between.

There is quite a few rest areas along the road as well.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 636590

Reply By: A J - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 15:34

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 15:34
Bob & Helen - check out thread 69188 re Putty Road.

A J
AnswerID: 369125

Reply By: Rod, Sydney - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 16:56

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 16:56
The problem with Putty Road is not likely to be your driving but the fact the road is used by motorbike riders and others looking for a driving thrill. As suggested, look for spots to let them pass you. The road is in good condition.

Have fun.
Rod, Perth

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 369140

Reply By: stretchlizard - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 17:45

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 17:45
Bob

I towed my 16' van along it on a Sunday last year and thought it was very twisty and bendy in a couple of main sections. Then this year we spent six weeks touring Tassie where the thing to look out for there is if you come upon the only two straight sections of road unexpectedly - freaks you out. So after getting some more perspective from our Southern Isle I would say that the surface and width are excellent as long as you and the oncoming driver are both keeping your mind on the task as you go through the twisty bits.
Yesterday I drove from Howes Valley (Yengo NP turnoff) Northward and it is a comfortable drive if you can do it on a day without the bikes. The advisory speeds posted are suitable for you with your van and seem reliably matched to the difficulty of each corner. Without a van, I was comfortably going around each corner on a dry road at 10kph above the advisory.
Your passengers should enjoy the great views.

Cheers Stretchlizard
AnswerID: 369154

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 18:01

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 18:01
Bob
The first time I ever travelled the Putty was in 1968 in a Series II Landrover towing a 22 ft van, then during the 80s and 90s in a Semi many many times , When you go past a truck pad/park on top of Colo get ready to drop down a couple of gears , probably 2nd gear and save your brakes for the sharp lefty before the run down onto the bridge , soon as your around that corner you can let her go, up the Northern end there's 12 Ks of very winding road with 35Kph and 45Kph advisory signs, this section was most prefered in the dark as it is easier to see if anything coming on the blind corners, couple of good camp/ park bays in there too.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 369159

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 18:32

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 18:32
Doug,

I used to do night late night runs from Holsworthy back to Singleton when having to attend Singleton for Training. It was much easier at night like you suggested as the motor bikes usually only did it in the day light.

They has been a few times I have had a call of nature and then recieved a call from a passing truck to check all was OK as phone reception is still a bit scratchy along there.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 636638

Reply By:- Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 20:02

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 20:02
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Personal Attacks Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 369199

Reply By: Zenon - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 00:50

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 00:50
This a great road to travel and as some one had mentioned there is a tight windy section on the Singleton side. I have found many vehicles that have rolled over only due to speed. Follow the corner speed recommendations and you will be fine.
Keep a look out for the Roo's and wombats around Howles Valley. Those Wombats can do some damage.

Zenon
AnswerID: 369248

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:35

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:35
G'day Bob,

Being relatively new at towing my van on the putty I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. I always knew that it should be because there is a lot of big rigs that have travelled that road but I was concerned about the confined narrow bits. I hope I can reassure that this is definitely doable and don't worry about it too much. I had similar concerns for the Moonbi and bolivia hills but all was OK.

Enjoy the trip.

Kind regards

Theo
AnswerID: 369293

Reply By: Bob &Helen - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 14:19

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 14:19
Thanks to everyone this makes the wife happy .We leave Friday 19/6/09 for Lightning ridge then Carnarvon Gorge then who knows further north.

Regards Bob
AnswerID: 369312

Sponsored Links