Gold detecting

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 16:09
ThreadID: 69721 Views:4208 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Am looking for any good gold detecting sites including forums. I'm a total novice but starting to get the bug so if you've got any links it'd be much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Flywest - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 16:50

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 16:50
This is probably the best one I've seen so far.

http://goldandcoindetecting.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?s=436e2ba7bd3e7cbe664278b74eab6252&act=idx

There are others but they seem to have less traffic or quite a few are US based - most are "very secretive" about locations and methods.

http://goldprospecting.invisionplus.net/

http://www.prospectorsparadise.com/index.html

Good luck with it!

Cheers
AnswerID: 369537

Follow Up By: Austravel - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 17:22

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 17:22
Thanks.

Can't say I'd expect anyone to give up their spots but hope some are willing to freely pass on info. Things like general locations or fields, what to look for and what gear is better etc, etc.

I know it's an expensive pass time but was wondering how many long term travellers use it as a means to make a little money. Surely if you put the effort in at known productive fields you'll get something. I guess nothings assured but I mean a decent effort, some months of detecting.
FollowupID: 636945

Follow Up By: Flywest - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 16:09

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 16:09
I know of only one, in Oz who makes a full time living at it.

Most who make a living at any type of hobby (fishing detecting 4wding etc) seem to do so by selling stories to publications about their exploits to satisfy the vicarious need for those who work 5/7 etc and can't get away to do it themselves - i.e. "armchair experts".

Really speaking most of their time is spent photographing and filming what they do rather than actually DOING their hobby (be it detecting, fishing etc).

So - if you wanted to make a quid from detecting while yopu travell - then you need to be selling stories to publications about your trip and detecting and also selling "how too" DVD's for the plebs who need someone to metaphorically hold their hand before they get the confidence to have a go.

This means a web site set up to take online payments linked direct to your bank account and lots of "DVD product" to sell from the site - and the ability to post regularly while your travelling the DVD's that have been purchased.

Pretty hard to sell DVDs about detecting for Gold unless your regularly FINDING gold with your detector - which means you have to have invested a LOT of time into actually getting GOOD at it (which few manage to do).

(Also people have a propensity to burn copies of your DVD's despite copyright and give them to all their prospecting mates for free - making it then hard to continue to sell more, to what is only a small market in Oz).

I would think it highly unlikely you will make a killing to finance your travells from detecting - finding an ounce a week per person on good ground is about the BEST you can hope for - unless you stumble across another hand of faith nugget.

A LOT of the BIG nuggets supposedly discovered by those with a detector back in the 70's were most likely "manufactured nuggets"- and the invention of the detector was just a convenient excuse to "explain away" the posession of a quantity of gold from the Kalgoorlie Gold stealing squad of the Police dept.

Typically these were folks who had a lifetime working underground in productive mines and perfected ways of accumulating small amounts of gold every day, in their work.

Nearing retirement - the advent of the detector in the 70's was the "convenient excuse" such people needed to "explain away the sudden accumulation of a large quantity of gold" without arousing suspicion.

"Ohh look - I stepped out of my car in a roadside car stopping point to have a leak and decided to test my detector and I found this 3 kilo nugget of gold" type articles were legend in the print press at that time.

Often most likely it was accumulated gold from those who worked rich veins underground and wore brylcream in their hair every day and rubbed their gold dust encrusted hands thru their hair every day - then had a gold trap in their bathroom vanity P trap and another in the outlet from the clothes washing machine etc.

Others put a little in their coffee thermos every day - some inside their shoes and so it goes.

Nearing retirement it all gets smelted at home into a home made nugget and suddenly they FIND a huge nugget miraculously with a detector and it's in the press so everyone believes it.

Conveniently it also increased the sales of detectors markedly, a "win win" situation, allowing the finder to then offload their detector at a good price as well!

Guy I knew who worked in the Gold Stealing Squad for 20+ years related a tale of a truck driver who trucked the ore to the crushing plant for a big corporation mine.

He had a small gold lease on a side road off the main haul route from the mine to the battery. He was returning very low grades of ore from his lease with his loader digging an open cut.

He woukld stockpile low grade ore on his lease at the weekends - then during the week - he would once a week take a detour on the way to the battery from his employers mine with high grade ore, tip some out on his lease and load up the shortfall with his low grade ore.

Over the years he accumulated a LOT of high grade ore stockpiled on his lease that he eventually (after he had retired from truck driving for the mine) started to take to the crusher (battery) and get quite good returns ~ one ounce to the ton.

He sold his lease based on the returns from the battery for a LOT of $

When the new owners tried to crush the ore they won from the open cut they got VERY little, and became suspicious...and called in the Gold Stealing squad.

They eventually worked out how he had done it.

A LOT of gold thats still being found is really just being "laundered" by the mere posession of a detector.

Not saying alluvial gold isn't still found in qualtity - because it is - but if it was easy then everyone would be doing it.

Nothing to stop you detecting for fun on your trip BUT if your expecting to "pay the fuel bill" from gold nugget proceeds - then you could well end up stranded without fuel on your first week out!

I think you'll find you spend as much (more) on fuel as you find in nuggets UNLESS you find a virgin patch thats productive and hasn't been detected before.

MOST of whats being found, is small stuff of a few grams on KNOWN patches that have been worked with old technology detectors and the NEW machines are finding the small pieces left behind.

Thats my opinion - others mileage will vary.

There ARE ways to increase your odds and cover more ground etc, really its about finding the gold the old timers missed while loaming their way to the mother load/source/reef.

Theres still gold to be found - but relying on it for travel finds would be most foolish in my opinion UNLESS your selling your stories and DVDS etc along the way!

One such freelance journo i knew well - would get a minimum of 6 articles from weeks trip that he would sell to a minimum of 6 publications...for prices averaging $200 - $300 per 3000 words with pics, occasionally an extra $200 for a cover quality picture.

1 story to a state based fishing mag, one to a national fishing mag, one to a womens interest mag (usually on the history of the joint and wildflowers seen along the way) one to a in house flight magazine for an airline etc etc etc.

Thats how you make travell money from Gold detecting round oz - not from actually finding gold.

http://www.aurumaustralis.com/

Thats an example of an Aussie guy who makes a living from his detecting AND his writing / DVD's etc

If you think your up to the task then bye all means give it a go.

IF your any good then industry sponsorship will follow and you MIGHT just eeek out a living - showing others "how too" do what it is they dream of doing.

What you need to be aware of is that your then turning a hobby into a profession, such that it becomes WORK due to the "fiscal imperative" (you don't eat if you don't find gold & sell product" and thus its no longer an enjoyable hobby...

You could give it a go - personally I wouldn't but thats just me, coz i'd like to keep it just a hobby! (Yeah - I'm allergic to work)!

You could sell your stories to Australian Gem & Treasure magazine maybe.

http://www.isubscribe.com.au/title_info.cfm?prodID=23300

Best a British luck with it!
FollowupID: 637087

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 19:59

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 19:59
Damn FlyWest I used to think you were full of crap, but after all this youve churned out you can only now be half full if it.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 637133

Follow Up By: Austravel - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 22:05

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 22:05
Damn Flywest you put a lot of effort into that post. I appreciate it!!

It was going to be more of a hobby while on the road, if I ever get there. But thought if it could help pay for fuel etc then maybe would be worth investing in an expensive detector. Hence my question for those that have either tried or from intimate knowledge realise it's only a pipe dream.

Again thanks for a great reply.
FollowupID: 637158

Follow Up By: Flywest - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 16:34

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 16:34
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Advertising/Self-Promotion Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 637236

Follow Up By: Austravel - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 16:48

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 16:48
Flywest,

Saw your post before being modded. Thanks for the update. Would have been better that you told me you couldn't answer the question based on experience. Though I guess your view is based on relevant similar first hand experience, so I'll still take it on board. You've certainly lived a very busy life and some would say you must be a couple of hundred years old. However there are of course those lucky individuals out there that get to live life to the max which looks like you have.

Long bow to be modded on self promotion but I guess that's up to the mods. I see many other posts that would be self promoting to a larger degree but them's the breaks.

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 637335

Follow Up By: Flywest - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 19:45

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 19:45
Well Austravel, re:-

"Would have been better that you told me you couldn't answer the question based on experience. Though I guess your view is based on relevant similar first hand experience, so I'll still take it on board."...

What I said above that was mooderated (needlessly, yet again) was.

"I've only done a little with the Gold detecting",

which maybe I was "deliberately understating" because as you see my experience sometimes people like the mooderators do find confronting, and this often leads to the posts being needlessly mooderated, as has just been proven yet again above.

Last look, the totals of my gold sales receipts to the Perth Mint, totalled about somewhere between $250 & $350K over quite a number of years.

Whether that qualifies me or not - is hard to say because few people say much about what they have found or where, for a host of reasons - like maybe they don't want the ato to know for example or their ex wife etc etc.

Me I don't have anything to hide - my lifes pretty much an open book.

Another suggestion for you - would be to spend a LOT of time researching "places to look".. working on the old addage that "where it has been found in the past there is likely to be some that hasn't yet been found".

Hesperian press copys of Gold & Ghosts Vols 1 & 2 would be invaluable to you for WA for example, (vols 3 & 4) for the east.

Trouble is they are collectors editions now worth around the $1500/ volume IF you can get hold of a copy.

There are other resources tho - like the dept mines list of mines and their GPS waypoints etc etc

The more info you have and the more info you research the higher the likelihood you will concentrate your time looking productively on worthwhile ground.

Some people these days are towing quite large coils on/under sleds or trolleys, behind quad bikes and covering a LOT of ground including salt lakes etc and finding productive gold.

http://www.janetsgoldnuggets.com/salt_lake_gold.htm

This is a website you might find interesting in that respect.

Best of luck with it.

I'm sure there are members here with more experience/knowlege than me, but whether they are as free at sharing it is another thing entirely.

Cheers
FollowupID: 637493

Follow Up By: Austravel - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 20:48

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 20:48
Thanks Flywest,

I think I'll be doing a lot more research before handing over $10k or so. Will see if there are any other sources for those books you speak of.

Regards
FollowupID: 637505

Follow Up By: Flywest - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 13:43

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 13:43
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Inappropriate Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 637617

Reply By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 17:55

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 17:55
http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/portal.php these guys may be able to help you with a bit of info .
Personally I tend to steer away from gold forums myself now as there is way to much Bs and hype on there.
AnswerID: 369544

Reply By: DIO - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 18:05

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 18:05
This would have to be the best site in Australia with the most helpful of members. You ask the questions and they supply the answers. Couldn't be any easier than that. Link
AnswerID: 369546

Reply By: pepper2 - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 12:28

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 12:28
Have you looked at oallen ford between braidwood and goulbourne NSW easy to get to camp on the river gold prospectors always there,then there is this hidden valley not far away that always gives good results but no one knows about it ,,,,,LOL,,LOL ,,cant remember directions ..honest,but try oallen ford.
AnswerID: 369658

Reply By: Austravel - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 21:59

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 21:59
Thanks everyone.
AnswerID: 369749

Sponsored Links