3.0 CRD Hilux Cold Start Noise

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 19:06
ThreadID: 69725 Views:14554 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Need some help with a mates Hilux, 07 Turbo Diesel Manual, no aftermarket mods to the engine. Engine suffers from cold weather starts, very noisy it almost sounds like a loose bearing, we thought maybe fuel pump, another idea was engine oil, currently using Toyota recommended oil (BP Ultimate Diesel) Another suggestion to the problem was the pressure in the commonrail injection system?? The motor only has 20000km's on it so not even run in, any help would be appreciated.
Also has anyone had problems with the SR5 blue tooth cd/stereo, currenlty having a problem with FM seperation causing the stereo to go in and out and increase and decrease in volume....crazy, currently toyota have no solution, they actually said it was a problem with south east queensland FM frequency.

thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Madfisher - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 19:19

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 19:19
I started one of the d4d s at work this morning(-4) and could not believe how noisy it was. Sounded as it was going to blow apart, but I think it is pretty normal for these motors.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 369552

Reply By: hiluxcab - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 19:27

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 19:27
could be the injectors best to take it back to a dealer and get it analyze toyota
no there is a problem with themcheck out this site for more information newhilux.net
cheers craig
AnswerID: 369556

Reply By: Member - ross m (WA) - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 19:50

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 19:50
Seems to be a common problem with the Prado and the Hilux around the world.

I wonder what it will sound like at 300000 klms?
AnswerID: 369560

Follow Up By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 20:16

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 20:16
Our work units still sound the same at 170k, it is the cold start program that makes them sound like that till they warm up.
FollowupID: 636973

Reply By: Member - Netnut (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 20:35

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 20:35
Hello Turbo Lux,
My 2006 D4D Hilux has recently had a cold start assessment to test the efficiency of the injectors. The result: two new injectors replaced under warranty at 70,000 km.

I had been worried for a few months about the motor's loss of performance and a change to its sound when cold. I'd also noticed additional movement by the gear stick when in neutral and the motor was operating at normal temperature.

When the colder months arrived the noise was as you described, particularly noticeable as the vehicle moved off. The local Toyota mechanic knew exactly what the problem was as he's replaced around 50 injectors in the last few months.

According to an ARB 4WD agent - on his second late-model D4D Hilux - the injector deterioration is caused by the fuel filter; apparently it's not fine enough and lets too much muck through. He explained to me that an upgrade of the fuel filter system - to that of the current D4D Prado - would fix the problem; the cost around $400. I plan to have the work done to avoid costly repairs as the vehicle is now out of warranty.

I suggest you have an assessment undertaken to test the performance of the injectors. A Google search will help you find more information on the injector issue/problem.

I still love my Hilux despite its shortcomings !

Sorry .... I can't help with the Bluetooth problem.

Cheers,
Netnut
AnswerID: 369570

Reply By: Member - Kevin R (QLD) - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 08:06

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 08:06
As discussed above, it is an injector problem. It seems to affect pre 08 D4D motors mostly. Toyota is well aware of the problem. If you need some background have a look at pradopoint.com where there is a 40+ page thread on the problem and the experiences of the guys trying to get them fixed. I have a late March 08 build Prado and so far touch wood, no problems.

A new injector is now available so Toyota is the best bet for getting the problem fixed, especially as its warranty.

Cheers

Kevin

AnswerID: 369631

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:24

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:24
I had mine in 3 weeks ago to replace 1 faulty (knocking) injector.
It was quiet for a week, now it knocks worse than it ever did and has less power. They said that they had to remap the computer when they replaced 1 injector...why??
It is even noisy after 200km of driving although not as loud as when cold and blows more smoke.
Has 72,000km
The stereo is OK between Bundy and Rocky no probs even with phone blue tooth connected. I'd say that Yota need to replace your radio, I can't imagine that the radio frequency can do that or there would be hundreds of people complaining in SEQ
Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 369644

Sponsored Links