driving mirrors

Submitted: Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 19:34
ThreadID: 69760 Views:6935 Replies:14 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all just brought a jayco expander out back 2009 and need some towing mirrors i have a nissan patrol and am very fussy about it .it,s my pride and joy have come to two brands aussi truck and ora mirrors so my question is has any one using the aussi truck mirrors have them do any damage to the paint work or the window lip seal were they fit to the door same question about the ora mirrors with the magnetic arm and the mirror that fits to the driving mirror on the door think they are called big reds any way hope there will be lots of reply's

cheers nicko
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 20:09

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 20:09
I am feeling like I might be setting a cat amongst the pidgeons here but here goes.

We asked at our local licencing centre about the legality of having a camera installed on the back of our off-road pop top van and was told it was OK. I am still a bit doubtful as to whether the information was correct as the inspector there did say he hadnt been asked that before. Anyway, we installed one - its hardwired not wireless. The screen sits it the centre of our Jeeps consol and honestly its just like looking in your rear vision mirror. We have a fantastic view behind and its set up so that along with our regular mirrors I would have to say there is very little chance of failing to see something.

We have been through a number of vehicle checks over the past 18 months since it was installed and never once has the police asked about towing mirrors. Then again they havent asked about how exactly we do see either. We are happy, no damage to the Jeep, no vibrating mirrors.

Interested to hear if anyone else uses this set up or has perhaps asked about the legality of it.
AnswerID: 369723

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 21:16

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 21:16
In SA, the policeman on his regular fortnightly Adelaide radio spot (Q and A - road safety) said cameras might be good but one must still have mirrors by law.... could be national.
FollowupID: 637150

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 09:18

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 09:18
As with Darian, we were told by Tow Ed, with whom we did our towing training that mirrors are required by law, whether you have a rear view camera or not. We have both and they serve different purposes. The camera, the rear view, the mirrors the view alongside the van..., although in the case of the LC200, I can see along both sides of the van with the standard mirrors. But am still required to have to extension mirrors.

In answer to the original question, I went for the Ora mirrors because the Aussie Truck mirrors scratched my window. The magnetic arm has not done any damage to the paintwork...yet...!!
FollowupID: 637183

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 15:03

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 15:03
We now have national unified road rules. There is nothing in them relating to cameras being able to be used as a substitute for mirrors.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 637228

Reply By: Simo & Stace - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 20:10

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 20:10
Hi Nicko,

Have just gone throught the same process, also have a patrol and like you are fussy about my car. 10 years as a vehicle spray painter will do that too you!

I didn't particularly like the way the aussie truck mirrors fit on the belt mold on the door, to me it looks like it would damage the belt mould. However i didn't actually fit it to my car to really see. I'm not sure i like the big buckle also that close to the door even if it does have a backing on it.

I haven't really looked at the magnetic type they just don't sit right with me, but thats just me, maybe some one else can give some more info on them.

I ended (by ended i mean purchased only yesterday) up going with Ora Rosso mirrors. They clamp and strap to the existing mirrors with a stabalizing leg that goes down the door and attaches with a suction style attachment. It says in the instructions that the suction should be released every 24 hours (painful) or it will leave a mark. But if it did i reckon it would just polish off with some descent cutting compound.

Anyway hope this helps a little.
AnswerID: 369724

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 21:06

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 21:06
Have a geek at this website....MIRRORS

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 369735

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 21:23

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 21:23
Just bought a new 18' van 2 weeks ago in Vic - got the Enzo magnetic mirrors (Ora) months ago - used them for the round about trip from Bayswater back to Adelaide. While there is some vibration in the actual view while mobile, they didn't move setting at all. The magnetic pad has a very solid grip - we wash the pads and the door before fitment - the only intrusion on the car is the plastic flange that goes down alongside the window glass - that seems harmless too. Our first van - first mirrors - but all seems well.
AnswerID: 369737

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 01:30

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 01:30
Hi Darian
Ihave a set of mirrors that bolt on your roo/bullbar that cantalever out. When you do not have a van on the back you can "fold" them in.
They do vibrate a bit however, you can styill see what is coming up behind you.
The are available from Coromal in Cannington here in W.A. About $120.00 . Not cheap but worth it by nthe time taken in making them.
You might try Coromal in S.A. to see if they have them.If not they should be able to get them for you.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637176

Reply By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 01:32

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 01:32
Very sorry should have been addressed to Nickooo7

T
The rig

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 369761

Reply By: Rockape - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 08:43

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 08:43
Nick,

I use Aussie truck mirrors and find them excellent, quick and easy to attach and adjust.

So far they haven't damaged the rubbers and as for paint I have 2 strips of magnetic sign material I place under the straps.

Have a good one

AnswerID: 369765

Reply By: Ray - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 08:53

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 08:53
I have tried many types of commercial type towing mirrors, none I must say were very satisfactory. I therefore designed and built my own towing mirrors.
These are made out of RHS and clamp onto my roo bar with 'U' bolts. I used two sizes of RHS which give me a telescopic type sliding effect. The inner section of the 'telescope' bolts onto the roo bar, by the 'U' bolts and the outer section slides inside the inner section and is locked down with a grub screw which allows the outer section to be removed when not towing the caravan. I have used 150 dia. convex mirrors and by using these 90% of visual vibration is eliminated.
I also us a 5" screen rear view (hard wired) reversing system.
I believe, like most things, that the various transport boards in Australia, have not kept up with technology and do not fully realise the benefits of rear view cameras.
AnswerID: 369766

Follow Up By: Racey - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:20

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:20
Hi,

I have had problems with mirrors which hook into the window fouling the window operation. By chance 2 years ago I came across a similar setup to yours except the bar clipped to the bonnet, the mirrors slid into the end of the cross bar. I have found them very good, they don't leave any marks on the bonnet and upon arriving at your destination the mirrors can be slid out, leaving the cross bar attached to the bonnet. Can't remember the brand, I think most good accessory places should be able to get them the cost was about half of the door mounting types .
Cheers

Racey
FollowupID: 637197

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 09:27

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 09:27
Must have mirrors that enable driver to have clear view to the rear of the van/trailer etc. Reversing cams are not considered adequate.
AnswerID: 369770

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 09:33

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 09:33
Dio,

I would contend that none of the mirrors give an adequate or clear view to the rear of the van whereas the rear view camera does. (not a reversing camera, just to be pedantic by the way)

As I said above, the camera does the rear view to an extent which no mirror can do and the extension mirrors do the side view, works well.
FollowupID: 637188

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:11

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:11
The towing mirror rule says u must have a clear view down both sides of your van (when it is sitting in a straight line)

EG if a cop stood behind it and poked his fingers out you must be able to see them in your mirror.
Despite what the advocates of rear view cameras say (and I have one) you cannot see a small child close in at the edges of the rear of the van.
A camera is considered a "help" Mirrors are a requirement.

FollowupID: 637194

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:17

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:17
I suspect cameras vary optically: my camera will pick up the corners of the van, even low down. BUt, of course, this is because of the amount of 'fish-eye' designed into the lens. The downside of my camera is the degree of distortion, and the complete impossibility of judging distance behind of a following vehicle without, guess what, effective mirrors!!
FollowupID: 637195

Reply By: Member - Fred G NSW - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 12:17

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 12:17
Aussie Truck mirrors best suit my rig, and I have never had a problem with them.
Horses for courses I guess, as what works fitting and vision wise on one vehicle may not on another. Try before you buy I think.

BTW on this trip we are almost back home from, 8,000 k's so far, 600 to go, it has alarmed me somewhat as to how many vehicles I have encountered which either have no towing mirrors at all, or totally ineffective ones, with the driver sailing along, totally oblivious as to what is happening behind him.

Fred.
AnswerID: 369787

Reply By: Chawbie - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 13:29

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 13:29
Just to let you know that at present Repco have mirrors virtually identical to Aussie Truck Mirrors on special at $69. Bought one yesterday. I think they are actually better quality than my ATM I bought 3/4 yrs back. The ATM has not marked my duco but i do have a few scratches on my window glass - i think at one point some dirt/grime got in there between glass and mirror support. but the mirror works very well for me.

Kevin
AnswerID: 369800

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 15:05

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 15:05
If you keep your doors clean then the mirrors will not damage them.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 369809

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 20:47

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 20:47
I have the Aussie Truck mirrors, and while they haven't scratched my windows, they make a pretty loud scraping noise going up or down. In the velcro etc. section of Bunnings, I discovered a felt back adhesive tape, applied a strip to each mirror, and no more squeak. The mirrors seem to sit a little firmer with the tape attached also. $4.95 for a 1 metre roll. Cheers all.

Roger B....
AnswerID: 369853

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 21:35

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 21:35
Nicko,

I have a set of Aussie Truck mirrors. The mirror glass is conCAVE, ie it compresses the image and unless I do the knurled knobs up with pliers they eventually loosen and let the whole thing collapse onto the door. Very hard to correct while you're hooning down the road with a couple of tons hanging off the rear bumper.

I have since bought two ORA mirrors. I chose the ROSSA for the LH side with the suction support arm and the BIG RED for the driver's side with the magnetic support arm.

The Aussie Truck mirrors are in my shed. Make me an offer ........

cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 369860

Follow Up By: nicko007 - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 09:12

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 09:12
thanks but seem to be going towards the ora mirrors i sore a bloke at the local cvp with a new styel patrol with ATM said he only done 5000 km they had scratched the glass on both windows and was of to buy ora mirrors insted but the previous post was a good idea some sticky velvet on the windos tabs and a bit of magnetic sign meterel on the doors were the staps go .
FollowupID: 637294

Reply By: Patrol GU VI - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 22:09

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 22:09
Hi Nicko,

Something that I have been looking at exploring as well. I know that the Cab Chassis Patrol has an extension arm on the Factory mirrors, The main section of the mirror looks the same, so may be worth investigating if you could get those extension pieces and fitting it to your rig. I'm not sure how wide they go for your van? Would be interested to know if it was possible.
AnswerID: 370209

Sponsored Links