GU

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 07:51
ThreadID: 6977 Views:1859 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My Dad is looking at retiring and buying himself a GU Patrol. He plans to tow a dual exle caravan around australia along with several other long trips in the next few years. I own a GQ patrol TI and find towing a little tedious, with the patrol very slow to get up to speed on the highways, and very quick to lose speed on high accents. I am looking for the Pro's & Con's as far as the GU is concerned. Should he go petrol or Turbo Deisel etc etc or should he looking at other vehicles i.e new Ford Explorer v8. He wants to buy second hand to save a little, so any hints would be welcome.
Thanks - PJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 09:50

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 09:50
The Diesel (particularily the 4.2 TD) will pull all day, and should provide the best fuel economy. BUT . . . it'll still be a slow trip . . . that shouldn't bother your dad too much though.

I have a GU Ti . . . it'll pull a Cvan at highway speeds all day every day, and still have power to spare. . . . but . . . She ain't REAL friendly on the juice.

If he is serious about a GU, the 4.2 TD would be the go definently.
AnswerID: 29861

Reply By: Member - Kevin (NSW/ACT) - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 12:08

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 12:08
I tow a 2 ton single axle caravan with my 2002 GU 4.2TD. It is a little slow to get up to speed but once there will easily go all day - I generally tow at about 95 - 100 kph and get about 18 l/100km on the highway. Off road towing returns better, around 15-16l/100km probably due to reduced speed. The GU handles hills pretty well - I drop to 4th at the frst hint and usually don't need to go below 3rd gear.

If your dad goes for the GU I think he will be pretty happy with it.

CheersKevin - sitting here, thinking of there
------------------------------------------
2002 GU Patrol ST 4.2TD
2000 15' Supreme Getaway
AnswerID: 29873

Reply By: Member - Bill- Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 15:32

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 15:32
PJ, GU Petrol 4.5L's are excellent value right now and go good on gas for better Km/$. They make an excellent tow vehicle with an Auto (which you can't get in the TD). I know most people here are hard core Diesel but if he is on major routes it may be something he should consider.Regds

Bill
AnswerID: 29895

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 16:46

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 16:46
Yea as someone said you cant get the 4.2 in an Auto, marketing to force you into the lesser 3.0 GU.

The Turbo 4.2 will be a good unit.

ARe you talking NEW or UsED in your choice??
Also if retiring, speed shouldnt be a worry if travelling around Aussie, you want to go slow to enjoy it!

Pay a bit more on purchase on the 4.2 and save in the long run over the 3.0...
AnswerID: 29911

Reply By: Donald_L - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 23:01

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 23:01
Hi PJ,
I am in the same situation as your Dad regarding doing a bit of touring. We have a 22ft dual axle van & tow it with a GU 2.8TD Diesel (Upgraded for better torque & power)
We had the 4WD for some years & have recently aquired the van. I am not in the financial position to upgrade but if I were I would go for the GU 4.2 TD. Both the 4.2 TD& the 2.8 TD are 6 cylinder.
The 3.0 ltr TD is only a 4 cylinder and contrary to the thoughts and aspirations of many faithfull 3.0 ltr TD owners, from an engineering perspective and long term maintenance costs potential you should not buy one if towing a van especially if you have a choice of other sound options..get a 6 cylinder (V8 if your rich).
Depending on the budget will dictate Petrol or Diesel.
The ball weight & legal tow vehicle capacity rates will dictate catagory of vehicles.
We have a Hamen Reece Stabaliser system fitted & the Van & Patrol are very stable on the road. The Van is fitted with independant suspension to each wheel so the van does not rock like normal double double shackle setups.
Whatever you end up with make sure it is stress free & doesnot drain the purse.
cheersGet out there and use it.
Life is too short not to.
All the best...
Donald
AnswerID: 30055

Sponsored Links