Good Winter Pants on Top of Thermals?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 21:07
ThreadID: 69822 Views:6361 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just got back from a weekend of camping. Had a great time except for my frozen legs and feet last night.

The other day I asked about jackets and forgot to mention pants.

I normally camp in winter in temperatures between mid teens in daytime and down to zero at night. I have polypropylene thermal underwear. I found my 100% cotton pants on the weekend didnt cut it so I need something warm for my legs. I might also buy extra thick trekking socks.

What type of pants (and socks) should I be looking for?

Any advice is appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark Howlett - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 21:46

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 21:46
I have a type of polar fleece pants, 'Altica' I think, from Kathmandu on one of their 50% off sales. I wear thermals under them and they're very warm.

Mark.
AnswerID: 370005

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 09:52

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 09:52
Hi Mark,

yes I also managed to get some Altica polar fleece pants a few years ago when on sale at Kathmandu and am still wearing them (with Icebreaker merino thermals underneath in the cold). Wish I could find another to replace them as they are looking very sad and worn with holes around the ankes from campfire sparks! They are my favourite camping pants.

Heather G
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 637409

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 23:19

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 23:19
I buy fine merino wool thermals and outer layers - 'Icebreaker' brand is a favourite, made in NZ. There's quite a large range available which you could probably find on the net. They make socks, caps and other accessories as well.

They are expensive but wash and wear very well, are quick drying, can be worn day after day, and are guaranteed 'anti stink'. Also very lightweight.
Kathmandu also have similar garments.

Heather G
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 370015

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 07:50

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 07:50
expensive...you better believe it
went looking at Rays, and annaconda in adelaide yesterday and they had a lot of polpropolyne cheap stuff and some midrange homebrand stuff.....ended up at Snowy's and picked that top, that top and that bottoms..all icebreaker of course, the good stuff...$332.00 later i walked out knowing that at least i'm going to be warm...

have had icebreaker before and still using them

the cheaper stuff just doesnt hack it
FollowupID: 637395

Reply By: guzzi - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 07:29

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 07:29
If you are looking for jean based pants try Thomas Cook polar fleece lined jeans,
Ive used this web site as an illustration,
http://www.aussiebiker.com.au/catalog.php?category=Thomas%20Cook

or if looks arnt that important some "Ridgeline" stay dry pants available from a lot of gun shops in camo and basic black, They look like heavy duty tracksuit pants, very comphy and warm. The Black comes in the top to toe pack which contains socks, pants,thermafleece t shirt, therma fleece heavy long sleeved pullover and a beanie, all that for $99.
http://www.ridgeline.co.nz/package_deals.html.

A mate of mine uses the Thomas cook jeans when hes riding his motorcycle and hes very happy with them, I use a top to toe pack when camping and a camo set when hunting and Im happy with them.

Polar fleece or good woolen socks for the feet and a windproof shell pants over the legs will help keep you warm. Dont for get as your body coolds it redirects blood from your extremities ie feet and hands to your core to maintain body temp, so something decent on you head and body will also help with the cold feet

I have no affiliation with either of the above web sites / manufactures other than happy with the product etc.
AnswerID: 370029

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 07:57

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 07:57
Generally find if it only getting down to zero at night and warm during the day, I just wear a pair of track suit pants under my baggy jeans.
Take off the trackies about mid morning, otherwise my legs get too hot during the day.
The trackies go back on about 6 to 7 pm under the jeans.
I like to wear a jacket that covers the bum and comes down to the top of the thighs if cool (but not cold) and windy during the day.
Wear thermals or similar under the jeans when under 0 and getting down to -10 at night and day temps in the single figures (plus or minus).

Found my new gortex and leather based hiking boots great for warmth. And they wick any moisture away.

At work, if I am sometimes working in the freezers (can be down to -20 to -30C), that's when I wear thermals and padded trousers. But then we are only allowed in the freezers for 20 mins max at any one time. :o) That Qld sun warms you up pretty quickly too.
AnswerID: 370031

Reply By: Member -Signman - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 12:27

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 12:27
Cheap pair of fleecy tracky daks from Lowes !!

AnswerID: 370056

Reply By: trainslux - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 17:16

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 17:16
I wear moleskins, get 3x the life from them compared to jeans, an much warmer.
Use explorer socks, and rossi boots.

Also used army disposals wool pants, great when out spotlighting in the freezing cold too, and at 20 bucks, you cant beat them for value.

Trains
AnswerID: 370104

Reply By: SMICK - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 17:32

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 17:32
We use snow ski pants and Possum fur socks. These come from N.Z. where they are a pest.
AnswerID: 370111

Sponsored Links