Spot lights

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 19:37
ThreadID: 6990 Views:7217 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
When wiring in spot lights for 4WD's do I have to use a switch (eg: toggle) or is legal to connect them together with the high beams (without a switch)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 20:06

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 20:06
gday anthony.
firstly i wouldnt advise wiring straight to high beam because you can burn out your wiring loom big$$$$.
and its also illegal to wire that way. spot lights have to work only on high beam and be able to be switched of with high beam on as well.wiring them up isnt a big job you just need to fit a relay.if you type spotlights or relay in the seach archives theres heaps there that will explain how to wire spotty and what all the numbers on a relay mean.—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
AnswerID: 29923

Reply By: howesy - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 20:12

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 20:12
Most standard wiring is not adequate to power driving lights. They draw too much current for these wires which in turn creates heat/resistance and eventually you will have wiring problems but in the mean time you will blow the odd fuse and they may not work to their full potential.
Having said all that, in NSW it is illegal to have them installed without a seperate switch which in turn is activated by high beam. So you will have a wire from the battery to a relay. this relay also has an earth wire and one to your high beam through the seperate switch (which is your activation wire) then a feed goes to the light . sounds confusing but its easy. this setup will give you full light potential and it will be legal. To avoid overloading and fuse replacements I always use a seperate relay for each light. Hope this was what you were looking for buddy.
AnswerID: 29926

Follow Up By: Anthony - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 20:21

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 20:21
I have a relay installed with the feed directly to the battery for the spotties, I was just wondering if the activation wire coming from the high beams has to have a manual switch installed.
Thanks for your help
FollowupID: 20981

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 22:13

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 22:13
Yes Anthony it doesSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
FollowupID: 21002

Reply By: howesy - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 20:28

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 20:28
No worries and yes you should have the switch to be legal but if the other side of the wiring for the relay is all as it should be then it dont really matter unless you get a stiff cop or a knock back on rego. I just leave my switch on full time so they come on and off with the high beam anyway. Anyway take care catch ya
AnswerID: 29928

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 22:50

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 22:50
NSW rego should check that the lights are 'switched' - I also leave the spots 'on' but also find it handy to turn them 'off' in fog.Subaru Forester
size isn't everything !
AnswerID: 29946

Reply By: yarda - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 14:41

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 14:41
In vic you have to have the switch in the circuit. Something many of the guys and girls out there might not be aware of is that many of the new cars have all the wires going to the headlights fed with 12v + all the time and switch them to ground as required to make the circuit. This can be interesting to work out as you have to switch the ground on the relay instead of the positive. This method means that the manufacturers can save on the costs of the wiring looms etc. This can catch out even very experienced guys, as one of the techs where i used to work spent at least half a day trying to wire up spotties on a new calais - got them to work eventually by switching the ground and was pleased as punch with himself and had to show us all, until he switched the car off and removed the key and the spotties came on!!!!! oh how we laughed.. The solution was using another relay to isolate the whole lot when the power circuit shuts off in the car..Cheers Brad..
AnswerID: 29999

Follow Up By: Anthony - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 19:26

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 19:26
Thanks everyone for your help...Problem solved
FollowupID: 21111

Reply By: Quino - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 22:09

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 22:09
Hi Anthony might be to late to post .I have just installed IPF 130w spot and spread and they come complete with all the wiring loom and the mouse pad switch so easy to install a child could do it.
They are very impresive when on.
AnswerID: 30047

Sponsored Links