Connecting two gas hoses together

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 23:35
ThreadID: 69932 Views:15764 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys

I have a Coleman 2 burner stove. It is a low pressure stove with a propietary hose in that attached regulator is not connected to the bottle end of the hose, but at the stove end (I assume this means the hose itself is under high pressure).

I am hoping to extend the hose so that it will run to the 4.5kg gas bottle without me having to remove the bottle each time from the front of the trailer (the trailer is like a tradesman's with a butterfly lid and has the kitchen on one side, so when in use the stove is in the open and fully ventilated).

I'm thinking a Gas Hose 1200mm, f-SAE-3/8 to m-BSP-3/8 should do the trick, with the male end of this hose screwing directly into the (gas bottle) end of my current coleman hose. Do I have this right? If not could you please lead me in the right direction.

I'm a bit confused with all the different fittings and I have not had much luck with my local camping/caravan stores wrt offering advice or having the equipment, so am now looking online.

many thanks in advance for your advice.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Pat (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 00:44

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 00:44
Hi, if you are in Melbourne try Barbecues Plus they were very helpful when i was setting up my ct had all hoses and fittings.

ph 9399 5820 spotswood

ph 95989241 Hampton
AnswerID: 370606

Reply By: Ray - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 07:43

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 07:43
Try Kleenheat Gas
AnswerID: 370613

Reply By: Member - Noel K (NT) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 08:11

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 08:11
Morning Portlester,
I had the same problem and sort advice from a gas fitter who informed me that it is illegal to extend a gas hose because the hose can only handle a certain pressure over a certain length.The fittings are also designed so you can't extend them. Remember, gas expands 250 times its volume when released, very dangerous.

Noel
AnswerID: 370620

Follow Up By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:39

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:39
That is correct, it is illegal to extend a gas hose.
We wanted a longer hose and went to two gas fitters to get the parts and when they realised what we were up to they wouldn't sell us the parts, had to
purchase a longer hose already made up.
Cheers Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 637965

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 08:12

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 08:12
I had a similar problem with my Coleman stove, hose not long enough, and the Coleman regulator is at the stove end.

I did buy a 1.5m hose from Coleman, but any longer than that and you need a gas fitter to make it up so it is legal.
AnswerID: 370621

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 08:47

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 08:47
Oh dear...... looks like I'd better be locked up!

Several years ago I joined 2 sections of gas hose together with a double-ended brass barb and a couple of screw-up hose clamps. This is used in an unregulated job on a gas blow torch.

To date (as attested by the fact that I'm sitting here typing this piffle), I haven't managed to blow myself to smithereens........ ;-)

Roachie
AnswerID: 370628

Follow Up By: Member - Noel K (NT) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 08:56

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 08:56
Hi Roachie,
Glad your still here.
Put some soapy water around the joint, you might get a shock.
FollowupID: 637938

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 13:07

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 13:07
I'm glad you're still here as well - haven't heard from you for a while other than through some cryptic handles. I have noticed a steady decline in some of the old names and thought that you might have befallen a departure as well.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 637969

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 15:32

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 15:32
Always reckon there are two ways of doing things, legally and a fun and cheap way that works :O)
FollowupID: 637992

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 07:59

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 07:59
G'day John,

Always worked on the fun way! I think that people are using the excuse that risk taking is bad and should be avoided at all cost. It kind of limits what can be done and consequently how far one can travel. We have similarly embraced decanting from large to small bottles and whilst frowned upon it has improved our enjoyment in camping for extended periods.

Kind regards

Theo
FollowupID: 638104

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 12:08

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 12:08
G'day Theo,

Yes, I'm still hanging around (like a bad smell). hahahaha

I might try the soapy water on the join next time I have the blow torch out (I don't use it very often; sometimes it could be a year or 2 between firing it up).

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 638142

Reply By: Member - 1/2A - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:36

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:36
LPG will move to the lowest point in your trailer if there is a leak and if there's no vent hole this is an disaster waiting to happen. Having the work done by an unlicensed person is like putting a gun to your head.
Arthur
AnswerID: 370705

Reply By: howie - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:21

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:21
i'm pretty sure it is 'illegal' to have long gas hoses.
however, i have been using long gas hoses (10m long) for over 30 years in uk & over here.
i brought my hoses to Oz and i am still using them, particularly handy like you say, when you don't have to unbolt the gas bottle.
i fail to see understand the argument that hoses cannot stand the pressure, as posted, the correct hose for the job will do the job.
fittings were changed professionally by a hose fitting mob in perth on the understanding it was for a propane torch. (wink wink).
i would not advise you to join 2 hoses.
also, i have a 30 year old habit of leaving the stove on and turning the bottle off to burn off the gas in the tube.
never had any probs with this set up.

AnswerID: 370871

Reply By: D-Jack - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 23:14

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 23:14
Same with us, we've got 2 4.5 kg bottles to the fore of the wheel arch, and use the same or similar coleman stove setup as you.

I understand that one of the major reasons you're not able to have hoses any longer is because a flammable/explosive biproduct of the gas can accumulate in longer hoses, which can result in fires.

Our answer - I puchased several fittings and had a plumber mate fix a length of copper piping to the side of the trailer with the POL outlet near the rear of the trailer - easily close enough to the kitchen for the 1.5m coleman hose to reach. You could potentially leave the soft hose attached and just secure it to the side of the trailer somehow during transit.

At the gas bottle end a short length (about 25cms) of soft hose connects from the copper pipe to the gas bottles, and because it is flexible it can easily be detatched from one and attached to the other without having to move bottles.

I was told by 'experts' at a Gas place that this was legal.

I'd check with the authorities prior though it if bothered you at all and you were wanting to replicate my setup.

Cheers

Damien
AnswerID: 370984

Sponsored Links