How much $$$$

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:16
ThreadID: 69940 Views:2981 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I am looking at what I have in the kitty and looking for advice on what is the $ figure I should seriously have before heading out on an around trip. We are looking to work whilst travelling...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:38

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:38
Some info on what you are driving and towing may help to get a sensible answer.

As an indication when towing we get about 5.9kpl so having just turned 10,000k we have used nearly 1700 litres of diesel and we are only about halfway round. At an average of $1.40 that is $2380 so far.
Prices have varied between town price and $1.75 at roadhouses on the Stuart highway.
Also depends if you stay in caravan parks or free camp some of it.
We have stayed in parks which have varied from $22 to $40 a night. So since Feb 2nd to now work out and average of say $26 x 130 days = $3380.

GIve us your thoughts of how you are going to travel and where you will stay and what sort of food you eat as there is a big difference between Pasta and Sausages and T bone steaks.
Also even a newspaper in the outback can cost $4 or more

Ps I dont like pasta

Cheers
AnswerID: 370647

Reply By: tim_c - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:58

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:58
V. good response from Graham above.

It will also depend on other things/tours you may want to do on your way around (these can add up very quickly).

* If you intend to include Tassie in your 'lap of Oz', you'll need to factor in the cost of the ferry which will vary hugely depending on the number of people, your overall vehicle size, and of course, the time of year you make that part of the trip.
* If you are going past Airlie Beach, etc. will you want to jump on a day cruise out to the reef for some snorkelling?
* If you go to the Bungle Bungles, will you take a helicopter flight (would recommend you do!)
* If you go to Broome, would you want the Sunset Camel ride (we didn't bother)
* etc. etc.

Will you want to bring souveneirs home for your friends/family?

Unfortunately, you will also need a bit in the way of "contingency funds" in case something goes wrong and you need repairs (which we all hope doesn't happen). It would be prudent to take out the maximum level of roadside assistance cover from the NRMA/RAC_ before you head off - if you get stranded miles from the nearest town, towing costs can be a real killer, as can all the associated costs.

If your trip is really long, you may also have costs back at home: rates, insurance renewals, car rego... etc.
AnswerID: 370659

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:29

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:29
Yep trips cost

Bungles Fly in, 2 gorges b/fast lunch and afternoon tea
fly home $1550 for two Very worth while

Horizontal falls from Broome $595 each Next week

Katherine gorge 3 gorge trip $74 each great trip

Tassie Van & car & us $1500 return

Internet costs from $15mine is $89 a month plus $49 cellfone

Service costs $ 800 for 100,000k on CroozerMelbourne Toyota.

All adds up Whe expect to spend about $30,000 by the time we get back to where we started
FollowupID: 637964

Reply By: disco driver - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 13:23

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 13:23
Hi Mel,
Some time ago the same question was asked here on this forum. It may have been hiding under another name but the advice seemed to be sound from all who responded. It may be worth a search.

Basically, and from memory, the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM suggested was about $1.00 per km of planned travel. This provided all the essentials, food, fuel and accomodation but nothing much else. Sightseeing trips and helicopter rides etc will add considerably to that $1.00/km.

From my own experience, I would expect that any trip will do about 50% or more extra km's than originally planned, sightseeing and general running around at each stop will soon add up to quite a few extra km.

Don't let this scare you off, if you don't go now you may never get the opportunity again.

Disco.
AnswerID: 370673

Follow Up By: Mel S - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:11

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:11
Thank you

I have looked at this and I am thinking that if we start with around $30K do work on the trip we should be able to sustain ourselves for around 18mths.. We are not big on crowds but would like to eat out once a month. So we hope to be on the road by October. Now do have a thought on should we head up the QLD coast and then across and down or go the other way?? We are starting from Bundaberg.
FollowupID: 638119

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 22:14

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 22:14
Well we have given you our thoughts on how much its likely to cost.

Now you want us to do your itinery as well.

As some have said if you cant work it out a bit on your own perhaps you shouldnt go.

To go north into the wet season shows a distinct lack of common sense.

Not trying to be nasty but think about it.

Read some of the track notes and blogs on here and get an idea of what others have done and when.
Jobs are not so easy to get at present either with mines closing.

If you dont mind cleaning toilets in camping grounds or similar you may be Ok but dont expect top wages. Sometimes you may only get board and lodgings and a pittance.

We are well into our trip so read the costs and we have several months to go.
We have already done 50% more K's than expected and spent at about the same rate.

$30,000 wont last 2 years if you travel a bit and do some of the good trips as we have done.
Fuel alone costs us $ 500 a week most weeks.

Best sit down and revaluate I think.

FollowupID: 638277

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 13:42

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 13:42
You have to work it out your self.

What type of food are you going to eat (steak at up $40.00 per Kilo or cheese sandwiches)?

How many times do you want to eat out?

Where are you going to buy your food and cloths etc. from?

How far are you going to travel?

How much sight seeing are you going to do?

What other forms of entertainment?

Where are you going to stay?

How much fuel will you use (are you traveling into the wind or not)?

What maintenance are you going to have done whilst on the road?

Are you going to break something (engine) or destroy a tyre or two?

Do you want Internet access and what type of access?

Whats the likelihood of someone becoming sick?

What type of work are you going to try and get ($6.00 or $30.00 per hour and how many hours)?

What other debts do you have (loans and insurance still have to be paid)?

Seriously budget between $5000 and$200000.

How long is a piece of string?

The only people to answer your question are yourselves, get a budget workout and stick to it.

If only I had a crystal ball!

AnswerID: 370675

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 15:44

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 15:44
Dead right Richard We have done as I said 10,000km and would think we are running at over $1.50 a km.

So far only had two punctures but one destroyed a van tyre.

Service costs on the Cruiser are a bit exxy.

Had an old leak in the van which ruined a panel in the loo $200 to fix in Darwin where everything is expensive.

Thought we had a gas problem in Kununurra Cost $90 to find out I didnt.

These sort of things all add up and this is in a fairly new well maintained rig
(well except for the leak) Bad silicone seal!!!!

Have to pay private health costs evey month.

All adds up over a period.

Incidentally T bone is only $19 a kilo in bulk packs at Woolworths even up here and has been some of the best Ive eaten L&LOL

Cheers

AnswerID: 370695

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 17:26

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 17:26
Geez Graham
You are making me jealous, we can't wait to get on the road, for several months, yep lock up the house and go, we are tired of doing short trips, you are right about bills comming in while you are away, we own every thing but still have to pay all the on-costs ect.

Cheers
FollowupID: 638013

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 17:40

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 17:40
No ongoings We sold our house the day the market dropped.

Still costs a lot even though my employer Centrelink help a bit.

Barely pays for fuel each week though.

FollowupID: 638015

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 18:51

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 18:51
Graham,
"Incidentally T bone is only $19 a kilo in bulk packs at Woolworths even up here and has been some of the best Ive eaten L&LOL"

Often the "T" bone steaks up north are too large to fit on one plate, they hang over the edge and the Vegies etc are on a seperate plate, because the meat is from the local (brahman) cattle.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 638022

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 19:22

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 19:22
Some of the Brahmans we've seen outback wouldnt give you a decent feed if you ate the whole thing

More rib showing than Paris Hilton and better looking as well.

Must catch up with you Mainey we are heading south from Derby gradually tomorrow

Cheers
FollowupID: 638028

Follow Up By: tim_c - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 19:44

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 19:44
How many plates do you need for your fish, Maîneÿ?!
FollowupID: 638029

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 20:44

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 20:44
Tim,
This is a reasonable fish too, shot it at the Port Gregory reef and it was cut up and put on the BBQ to feed fellow campers at the caravan park.
It was too big for us to keep as we had table fish and only a 50 Ltr Fridge.

My Mares Cyrano Pneumatic Speargun sits against the fish with the badly bent spear shaft, it's 1 Mt long for comparison purposes.
Mares replaced the bent spear as it was spring steel and not suposed to bend, the replacement is still straight, but it's not had to hold a fish that big (yet)

Image Could Not Be FoundMaîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 638056

Reply By: Member - Duke (TAS) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 21:18

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 21:18
Mel S
What a stupid question.
How long is a piece of string.
The wife and myself have been on the road for the last 10 years and i could not answer your question.
If you can not answer the question your self after a bit of research on this site and others my answer would be stay home.
If you are serious with your question be more specific and you may get a more accurate answer to your question. I could suggest you dont leave home with no less than $100,000.00 in your kitty and you could still be a few dollars short of what you want to do or you may come home with $70000.00 change.
Only you can answer your question but my answer would be get out there and do it with the right positive attitude and you won,t look back.
All the best,
Duke
AnswerID: 370769

Follow Up By: Coolman - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 07:14

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 07:14
Duke,

No question is stupid.

All other answers have been reasonable and informative. We are all hear to talk and share idea's. Let's avoid personal comments and keep the fourm postive, useful, and welcoming for all people.

My 2 cents worth.

FollowupID: 638100

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:50

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:50
It is a bit of a stupid question and I agree with Duke.

If you can't work it out roughly yourself you should stay at home; no if or butts.

Yes this forum is good for some advice but something that people ask are near imposable to answer or it shows they can not think for them selves.

All you have to do is look at some of the other post people ask questions about and you have to wonder if people can think for them selves.

FollowupID: 638138

Follow Up By: Member - Duke (TAS) - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 20:17

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 20:17
Coolman,
The question is not as stupid as your comment but is still stupid.
Where is the personal comments you talk about. I was referring to the question as being stupid not the person who was asking it.
Can,t find anywhere in the post where you have offered any reasonable information to the question.
My 10 cents worth,
Duke
FollowupID: 638256

Reply By: HGMonaro - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 09:45

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 09:45
Basically, there's 2 different methods of doing 'lap'... the "I've only got X weeks and need to put pedal to the metal to do it or stay home" and the "I've got as long as I need" version. Version 1 needs $$$ upfront to accomplish, you haven't got time to stop and find work along the way. My trips costs (posted elsewhere) are from that sort of trip. If you've sold up, rented out or not renewed your lease, then stopping in one place to work for a month or few is feasable and I'd hazard to say, a great way to see the country (get to know people rather than just 'meet'). I spent a year living in the UK and although the sight-seeing aspect was great, the people I worked with are my greatest memories.

Often in these discussions no one takes into account what you don't spend while not at home. In our case (1/2 lap) we spent (in rough terms, not counting buying camper which I didn't include as it could be sold for not much less than we bought it) $18K but didn't spend $12K which we would have if we'd been at home. Our 3mth trip effectively cost us $6k. Not to bad really!

So I guess there's people that are travelling around sustaining themselves either with government benefits, working, or retirement funds and others that pay the costs from savings/put it on the credit card to get out and see this great country. Everyones circumstances are different.

Cheers, Nige
AnswerID: 370849

Sponsored Links