Washing of swags

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:25
ThreadID: 69944 Views:12752 Replies:5 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Was reading the thread on the cleaning of smelly sleepingg bags & swags--i just wash sleeping bags but thought if you washed swags with soapy water might take away the water resistence-just usually air but would love to give my sons a good scrub--so whats the verdict
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: warfer69 - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:27

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:27
Hiya Girtie

Dont Do It,Wipe dirty areas with damp cloth then make sure its dry before packing swag away.Your right soapy water is a no no,There are sprays that can retreat canvas..
AnswerID: 370662

Reply By: you eat the bear - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:59

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:59
Yes don't do it - after about 3 years of use I decided that mine was ready for a wash. Used washing up liquid and a scrubbing brush for the really dirty bits. Dried in the sun (mid summer) and it looked brand new! First trip away it poured with rain all night and I discovered indeed that the waterproofing wasn't there any more. Fixed with canvas waterproofing agent but I wont be doing it again!
AnswerID: 370670

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 13:15

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 13:15
Hi Gertie
I will now probably open a can of worms with what we have done on a number of times and has not effected our swags at all.
Any swag that is made of canvas, is made from a natural product. The products ability to repel water has nothing to do with what it is coated in, but how the fabric is weaved and the grade of canvas used. A good swag is made from canvas and not coated at all. The times that our swags have been in a need of washing is in times of wet weather and they get muddy.
After the trip, I have stripped out the sway, opened it flat and used a pressure cleaner to clean it. Leave the canvas to dry out of direct sunlight, make it up again and we have a new looking swag.
We have had to do this a couple of times over the years and has not effected the water proof ability in any way. After all, it is only water.

Others may not agree with my method, it has worked for me and we are still using the same swags over 15 years later. Another thing that I have found, is where they are made. Ours were made right here in South Australia, using good quality canvas. I have seen some swags that are made outside of Australia and I do not think that they will last the time, I could be wrong. I have also seen some very good swags that are made in Alice Springs. Like so many things, in the end you only get what you have paid for.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 370672

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 13:25

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 13:25
Hiya Steve

No can of worms each to there own but its not the norm i believe.These guys bake there own canvas,well they did a few years ago..

Burks N Wills

Care Instructions

• Thoroughly wet down new canvas prior to use to ensure sealing up of seams.
• Remove dirt with a soft brush and cold water after use.
• Do not clean with soap, detergent, petrol, oil or solvents.
• Ensure swag is completely dry before storage.
• Do not store directly on concrete floors.
• Use Burke & Wills canvas reproofing solution on well worn areas.

Cherio

FollowupID: 637971

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 13:31

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 13:31
Hi Stephen,
I replied in the other post also, and like you we are avid swaggers.
Gertie - we also wash our swags when they've got muddy and agree its the quality of the canvas that makes the difference. We have AOS swags made here in WA. I just looked up their website and see they have a page on canvas care - Link to canvas care Similar to above by warfer69 but suggest you look up the care tips for the brand you have.

MM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637973

Follow Up By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:33

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:33
I have always hosed down my swag canvas, never effected it. Still skids around in the back of the ute and stays dry. It must be at least 17 years old now.
FollowupID: 638003

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 10:58

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 10:58
Gday Stephen,
Yeah...Its a bit like the washing of camp ovens depate some say you cant, some say you can.....
Personaly Ive never washed any of my swags, a hose off when the dog cocked his leg on it, maybe air it out occationaly, thats about all.

I always scrub my camp oven with hot soapy water though! LOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 638322

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 13:13

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 13:13
Hi Hairy
How are things in the Alice, good I hope. We also have washed the camp oven with hot soapy water, dry it thoroughly and then wipe it out and coat the inside and under lid with cooking oil.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 638332

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 13:30

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 13:30
All good up here...Bloody cold though!
FollowupID: 638335

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 17:41

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 17:41
Hiya Hairy

You poor Ol Soul lol,Come down to Vic for a couple of months and FREEEZE your Bollocks orrrrff !
FollowupID: 638356

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 07:52

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 07:52
Gday Warfer,
You would be supprised how cold it gets here.......Its usually only a few days ,but Ive been camping in -6 with a breeze that would lift even your skirt!
Anyway.....
Why would any one in there right mind want to got to Vic????
Hahahaha LOL

FollowupID: 638408

Reply By: Toadkeeper Jo aka Qlder Jo - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 18:25

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 18:25
my swag was covered in mud and horse blood.. I layed it out flat and using a nail brush, with some pressure but not harsh, massaged every part of the canvas with a mixture of vinegar and bicarb soda. (I was also told salt was good, I bought the salf but forgot to use it!). anyways, so thoroughly covered the canvas, then hung it up and blasted it with the hose, the next morning (night time when I did it) the way I hung it I was able to see any pin holes from rocks in the bottom of the swag and off course used gaff tape to repair!, I noticed then that I had missed some bits the night before so I blasted it again with the hose and let it dry. the next day I noticed I had a pol of water inside the swag because the canvas was still so waterproof it wouldn't let even a drop leak out. Turned her inside out, rehung and dried and bingo.. one cleaned up, no blood swag! Good as new.
AnswerID: 370728

Follow Up By: eerfree - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 21:08

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 21:08
Jo

GODFATHER ???

Bob
FollowupID: 638063

Follow Up By: Toadkeeper Jo aka Qlder Jo - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 23:54

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 23:54
Yyyyeeessssssssssssssss my good fellow??????????
FollowupID: 638088

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 13:29

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 13:29
Gday Jo,
Why did you butcher a horse on your swag?
FollowupID: 638334

Follow Up By: Toadkeeper Jo aka Qlder Jo - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 13:38

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 13:38
Hey Hairy

Turns out it was the horse who flogged the wheel cover, I warned of Karma ;-)
FollowupID: 638338

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 14:29

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 14:29
Hahahaha......wouldnt ya like to catch the bas#@&d!!
I know how ya feel.....I had my high lift taken off the back of my car a while ago....and he scratched me car getting it....GRrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
Cheers
FollowupID: 638343

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 04:29

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 04:29
gertie

I covered this a while back.
Just in case I'll do it again
Go and get some horse blanket sealer, I did and it works a treat.
Most pet, or stock food suppliers have it.

Or..................

I have found another solution to waterproofing. Especially canvas.

I have a Dry-as-a-Bone type vest (different brand) and it used to let the water in.

My local camping store, advised me to use "this wax", and problems solved.
Leave out in the sun for 1 hr to warm up ( in southern Vic, in the winter, will never happen ) So I wiped this wax on with a chux cloth and grabbed SWMBO's hair drier.
10 minutes later, done and really waterproof.

From what I know, swags only leak in the stitching, so why not go and just waterproof the stitching, with the was or in my case I drowned the whole thing in the horse blanket sealer, and sis the seams twice.

Still good 4 years larter

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 371275

Sponsored Links