1HZ Cruiser blowing smoke on cold start up....

Submitted: Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:52
ThreadID: 69974 Views:11147 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all, hows things?

I am working at Mt.Hotham ski resort this season & everytime i go to start up the trusty 80 series Tojo, she lets out a good bellow of smoke for the first few minutes before she settles.

Can I do much about it/ thoughts?

Cheers

Ro
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:08

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:08
Couple of different options. The smoke could be caused by a dirty engine in terms of carbon build up or fouled injectors. There are various fuel additives such as the range from Cost Effective Maintenance (Google is your friend) however I would be getting the injectors serviced to start with. Coming into winter you will no doubt also ensure you have your Alpine diesel happening.

www.costeffective.com.au

(Treatments for dirty engine)

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9012375&contentId=7026265

Alpine Diesel BP Link

Example:

Myrtleford, Bright (if you decide to go that way), and Mt Beauty all sell Alpine diesel. You will have to call Pyles at Mt Beauty to find out if they are open 24hrs, but I suspect not. Both places stay open until late on (at least) Friday and Sunday nights.

AnswerID: 370867

Reply By: Member - Jack - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 12:53

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 12:53
Hi Rowen:

You may find it is just altitude. I thought I had a problem a few years back when down the Snowy with my 80 Series low on power and blowing black smoke.

Talking to a mechanic just after he told me "diesels hate altitude" but that it is possible to tune them for higher altitude travelling. I didn't bother, and everything returned to normal once we got closer to sea level.

Let's hope it is nothing more.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 370884

Reply By: howesy - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 13:17

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 13:17
Injectors could be dripping slightly overnight, engine could be worn and it needs a fraction of heat before the the rings seal properly, glow plugs might be lazy (try double glowing) Is the smoke more blue, it could be worn guides, the list goes on.
AnswerID: 370888

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 14:43

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 14:43
Rowen,
Jack is on the money, my old 2H Landcruiser used to belch and fart and carry on at altitude when it was cold.

Once it warmed up it was fine.

Take it back to sea level and it was as good as new.

If your 80 Series follows that pattern I wouldn't bother looking for the most complex answer until it becomes a problem in warm climates at sea level.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 370909

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 14:47

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 14:47
I forgot to add, Toyota used to sell a really top notch diesel additive that improved the old 2H out of site at altitude.

If this stuff is still available you could give it a try.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 638168

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 16:15

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 16:15
heat along with pressure is an important part of the diesal combustion process hence the glow plugs. Im guessing its not a balmy 27deg up thee ATM soits just taking a bit of time to hea the donk up eough to properly burn diesal and the smoke (Im assuming its white) is incomplete burning. could also show your glowplugs arnt top notch
AnswerID: 370924

Follow Up By: Ted (Cairns) - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 20:15

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 20:15
I'll second that. Cold air, cold engine, cold fuel, maybe lower compression (than on a new engine), maybe some glow plugs not working or not "post-heating" (they're supposed to continue to heat for a time after engine starts) - these are reasons more than enough for insufficient combustion.

If it also starts with some difficulty I'd check/change the glowplugs (they wear/burn out after some years), otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Enjoy the cold!
FollowupID: 638254

Reply By: toyotabits .........VKS-737 ...mobile 2629 - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 16:32

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 16:32
G'day Rowen, is the smoke black or blue? If it is black it is injectors/fuel volume, if it is blue it is usually valve stem seals. regards aussiedingo
AnswerID: 370928

Reply By: Ray - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 08:59

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 08:59
I read an article once about the railway that crosses the Andes in South America. They replaced their old steam locomotives with diesels and found that they needed diesel locomotives with twice the power of the steam locomotives to get over the top due to the fact that the diesels couldn't "breath" properly at the high altitudes
AnswerID: 371008

Sponsored Links