Deep Cycle Battery Advice

Hi there

I am looking at getting a deep cycle battey and my local dealers (And they are limited in rural areas) are trying to sell me a cobra brand that has 115 a/hrs in a N70 Size casing. They are also telling me that it is made in the same factory in china as ac delco.

In other words its the same battery according to them as the ac delco.

Also it is supposed to be a dual battery in that it can be used for cranking as it has 730 CCA.

Anybody offer an opinion on this battery and in a dual battery system should I just be looking at solely a deep cycle type as I thought that anything that can be used as a cranking battery will lose life quickly after numerous discharges and top ups.

Cost is $230

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Angus E (NSW) - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 18:25

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 18:25
Ranger1

I have an AC Delco battery which appears to be the one you refer to connected to an ARB dual battery system installed 12 months ago.

I have had no trouble with the battery and never managed to run it flat, even when camping for 3 days with Waeco 50L fridge and lights running from it.

The ARB Dual battery controller is not hard to install and the kit comes with all the cables and connectors needed.

AnswerID: 370946

Reply By: Mandrake - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 19:55

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 19:55
If its one of these at the bottom of the page on this link - It should be OK ..

Cobra deep cycle 105 aH 730 CCA

Rgds

Mandrake
AnswerID: 370956

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 20:44

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 20:44
I am not convinced with the merits of deep cycle batteries given they are hard to fully recharge when relying solely on the vehicle charging system whilst on tour. I now run an identical battery to the ome type and have the added flexibility of swapping them should the need arise, No problems so far after 4 years in running liights, fridge and cpap but two nights is my limit without getting mobile again. Just another perspective though. Cheers
AnswerID: 370963

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 14:04

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 14:04
Gday Leigh,
Just a little off topic, but you are obviously fond of Ilkurlka roadhouse. Peter Twigg manages the roadhouse is looking for having a holiday or two himself and is asking around for someone to relieve him. Can phone on (08) 9037 1147 if you want to work a bit out there.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 638340

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 15:22

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 15:22
Hi Phil, thanks for thinking of me and if I was not working I'd be off like a shot! I was going to retire but for the recent losses in Super and Mr Rudd limiting how much I can craw this back each year. That's life I suppose but if I could I'd love the experience of working out there. I spent a lot of holiday time as a kid out near Lake Eyre/Torrens and like this sort of environment. I will keep Peter's number and I will certainly talk with him should my circumstances change. Thanks again Phil. Regards, Leigh
FollowupID: 638349

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 07:45

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 07:45
can you question the dealer about the precise weight of the battery ?
Compare the weight to the genuine AC Delco Deep Cycle battery.

Yes, as you say "anything that can be used as a cranking battery will lose life quickly after numerous discharges and top ups" when used as DC battery because the plates in a Cranking battery are thinner than those used in a DC battery.
You can get the battery that is claimed to be a compromise and said to be a 'dual purpose battery' but you will find it does neither job perfectly, as it charges slower than a Cranking battery and does not have the extended life of a true DC battery.
Similar to suggesting a Massey Ferguson tractor can be used as a FI race car, they are each designed to do their job perfectly, but not really capable of doing each others job.

Just because many guys use Cranking batteries to run a fridge, does not suggest they are as efficient as DC batteries when running a fridge, it only shows it's possible to use Cranking batteries to run a fridge for a period of time while they are being constantly recharged, unlike a Deep Cycle battery that will run a fridge for a much longer period of time with-out being constantly recharged.

Maîneÿ . . .

AnswerID: 371001

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 10:28

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 10:28
Its hard to get any info or specs on these Cobra batteries. But they are a wet cell sealed battery (and probably a Ca-Ca battery). I agree with Leigh - I'm not a fan of these. From what I see, they don't often give good reliable service in my application because they don't like the heat under the bonnet, and they need a higher voltage than the alternator can deliver.

It all depends on your pattern of use, and every battery is a compromise. I never run batteries down until they are flat. I drive my vehicle almost every day when touring, and prefer batteries that will recharge quickly off the alternator. So my preference under the bonnet is to run an Exide Extreme or Century Overlander, which are both hybrid unsealed wet cell batteries - usually pick up the Exides for under $200 and they are 80Ah and 620cca. I try not to have them go below 12.2V and find I've never got less than 4-5 years use as a starting battery or aux. A good battery comes with a good warranty - its 24months on these (only 12 mths on the Cobra).

If you really need a deep cycle battery, then go for an AGM.
AnswerID: 371013

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 10:41

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 10:41
2nd Vote for AGM
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 638318

Follow Up By: Rolly - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 13:15

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 13:15
Optima AGM spiral wound batteries have an outstanding record, especially under rugged use.
They resist the effects of vibration better than any.
FollowupID: 638333

Reply By: Member - ranger1 - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 12:24

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 12:24
Thanks for all the good advice, I will stay clear of the cobra battery as it is an unknown brand without any feeback or reviews.

Will stick with the brand name and pay that bit more but with the 2 year warranty.

AnswerID: 371024

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 14:50

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 14:50
Check out the correct warranty for the Exide Extreme, yes it's 24 months when used as a Cranking battery, however (I believe) it's *not* 24 months when used as a storage battery....

HINT: maybe that's why Exide have a much shorter warranty on the Extreme when used as anything but a Cranking battery, after all if it was as good a Deep Cycle battery as it (definitely) is a Cranking battery, it would still have the same warranty - wouldn't it ?

It's like, Massey Ferguson v Ferrari – both have 4 wheels, end of comparison :-)

Get an AGM Deep Cycle if you want the absolute best *performance* from a storage battery

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 638347

Sponsored Links