Lachlan valley Way

Submitted: Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 22:05
ThreadID: 69995 Views:1895 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all we're doing a small trip soon and on the way back down to Melb. we are trying to find a slightly off the main route way down , so I'm wondering if anyone has anything interesting to say About the Lachlan Valley way from Parkes down to Hay?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod, Sydney - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 07:00

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 07:00
Hi Brian.

Good on you for considering an alternate route. The agricultural areas of each state make great touring destinations.

I think each of the locations along the Lachlan has something to offer, and you don't need to stick to the main roads :-)

If nothing else you'll see the impact of the lack of water for agriculture.

Have fun.
Rod, Perth

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 370997

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 18:21

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 18:21
We drove from Hillston to the headwaters some years ago.

The towns along the way are all worth visiting. The road goes through some classic Australian pastoral scenery. We were shocked at the rubbish left at Wyangla Damn.

Highly recommended trip.

Try staying in a classic pub in the main street of a town (the type with a verandah over the main street).

AnswerID: 371065

Reply By: Member - mick C (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 12:14

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 12:14
If you have time start at Wyangla Dam above Cowra , otherwise start trip at Forbes on Newell Hwy and Lachlan River and go downsteam from there [refer thread 69864]. A lot to do on trip , many places to bush camp , not a lot of water in river at present due to lack of rain in catchment area[South of Orange , West of Goulburn , North of Gundagai] .Just as a matter of interest for all concerned , in normal times the Lachlan River does not flow into the Murrumbidgee River[The last time was the 1990 flood ], it goes into an area called the Great Cumbung Swamp which is one of five iconic wetlands in NSW that is being targeted for enviromental flows when the dam has more water .At present there is no water in the swamp and there has been none since 2003 due to the worst drought in history
Poppa Bear

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 371154

Sponsored Links