Deep creek crossings

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 18:26
ThreadID: 70032 Views:3284 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We have a 1998 100 series petrol Landcruiser. For deep creek crossings, what other preparation should we make apart from fitting a snorkel?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 18:30

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 18:30
Extend the diff breathers to a higher position and fit a Blind across the front before taking a dip.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 371205

Follow Up By: Dasherdes - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 18:48

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 18:48
Got to agree with Kev. Raise the breathers up as high as you can in the Engine bay for the front one and up near the vent on the rear panel. Fit a fuel filter cartridge to stop sucking in dust.
The blind should tuck under the front panel and up over the bonnet. If the water is really deep, it might also pay to remove the fan belts as well.
FollowupID: 638503

Follow Up By: GerryP - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 19:09

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 19:09
Agree also - and don't forget the gearbox/transfer box. If the petrol is like the diesel, then they are already tee'd together and run up on the firewall, just behind the engine (hard to see, but it's there). I extended the front diff and gearbox/transfer to high up in the engine compartment, with small transparent fuel filters on the end of the hose. The rear diff, I went into the rear quarter panel (behind the tail light) by cutting a small hole through the rubber bung underneath and sealed with silicone.

The problem with the standard breathers is that they have a non-return valve on the end which allows them to release air due to expansion as it heats up, but closes when the pressure reverses (as it cools down). Thus, with a hot diff suddenly being cooled in a creek crossing, there is a real chance of sucking water in past the oil seals.

Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 638507

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:45

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:45
Fit a diesel
FollowupID: 638527

Reply By: howesy - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 19:28

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 19:28
Check for fan to radiator clearance. On some vehicles where this is extremely close it is possible that on a prolonged deep water crossing that the fan if flexible enough will as it chops through the water be drawn into the radiator causing damage. this is not common and I'm not familiar with the 100 series but worth checking. Often this can be helped by putting a tarp over the front of the car before crossing and it cuts the water through the radiator. Having said all that I've only heard of it happening on a few older vehicles and I would presume that late model cars would be a little better designed.
AnswerID: 371220

Reply By: CJ - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:21

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:21
Not advice but perhaps another question - can you tie the fan rather than having to remove the fan belt? I have done it a few times now. It diesn't need much force and I understand with the viscous coupling this does not do any damage?
Obviously one does it for as short a time as possible, so overheating (specially when you dunk into a cold stream) is not an issue.
Am I doing damage?
CJ
AnswerID: 371229

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:11

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:11
CJ - I have found I do not need to limit the fan. I had to hop out one day when in 1.2 meters of water to move a submerged log, for interest I raised the hood of the hilux. Fan was not spinning as the water restriction was stopping it from doing so. From that day on I assumed with the viscus type fan it is not an issue and to date it has not been.

These days I like to see the water down a bit before I take the dip. Had to open the doors and let out a flood of water too many times. These days I am more concerned with the computers, so keep crossings to a max of 800mm.

Cheers Tony

FollowupID: 638618

Reply By: warfer69 - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 08:49

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 08:49
On top of all the suggestions Wendy,ALWAYS walk the bloody crossing first,if you cannot walk it dont drive it,and if you need a stick to keep yourself steady (against current etc etc) dont drive it !
As stated above dont forget transfer case,Also sometimes the air cleaner has rubber grommets in them,if so silicone them up...

Diff Breather Kits

AnswerID: 371280

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:42

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:42
My Motto exactly - If you Walk it without struggling against the current you can drive it. If there is no current the water must be below any motor intake.

I have also found that with viscous coupling fans you do not need the blind out front. I have done a lot of deep crossing with no drawbacks.

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 638617

Reply By: trainslux - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:26

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:26
If expecting to do some serious water crossings, ie over 50cm water, then fit diff, front back/ gearbox breathers.
Dont forget to also extend your fuel tank breather, so that it too will not suck in water.
Most are connected up with charcoal cannisteres if your a petty, and diesels have a a slow action filter that us usually vented into the chassis rail.

I put all of mine up between the canopy and the cab, and under the bonnet near the bonnet line.

Trains
AnswerID: 371290

Reply By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:53

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:53
Being petrol you have two more considerations. Spark Plugs and Distributor. You will need good fitting leads and it is good practice to spray CRC/Water dispersant inside the joiner and around the joint near the plug before going for a dip. Some people silicon this joint and inside the plug.

The distributor is the same you must protect the lead plug ins. Once again some silicon the plug caps and also between cap and distributor body. Minimum requirement is CRC before the big dip.

This was successful for me when I was in a 4x4 club and owned a Suzuki and all the others had large 4 x 4s. They always got a kick out of doing the deepest holes and then stand back to see if the Suzuki would drown! I never gave them the satisfaction. :-) Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 371348

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:12

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:12
Saw the best idea of all the other day when visiting our sadly departed Top End Explorer.
He has fitted a piece of steel mesh with about 1 in squared mesh in between the radiatior and the shroud
Stops the fan from touching the radiator at all.
Excellent idea I thought and working where he does he would know.

AnswerID: 371410

Sponsored Links