Towing a Jayco Swan with a Camry?

I have recently purchased a Jayco Swan Outback Trailer. I own an 07" Camry New Shape 2.4, 4 Cyl and an 03 Magna 3.5 V6.
I need to know if the Camry is able to tow the van or do I use the Magna. I will upgrade to a 4wd in about 18 months. I have not collected the van yet.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kingswoodwagon - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:03

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:03
Why don't you get a Trailer mounted brake controller - as opposed to a vehicle mounted brake controller - you'll be able to trial towing with both cars and not have to have another brake controller fitted in 18months time.

AnswerID: 371326

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 19:48

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 19:48
Why doesn't he buy an extra loom and use a real break controller.

$20.00 for a replacement loom for a Prodigy.

FollowupID: 638648

Reply By: Member - ranger1 - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:24

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:24
The Camry is able to tow the Jayco, well at least on paper.

Issues are the towball weight capacity of the the camry, ascertain this first and compare to what the jayco is when loaded up.

You will need a brake controller I prefer the types fitted inside the vehicle but there are some issues with the wiring of this in newer model toyotas.

Issue is to do with it interfering with the ecu that controls the ABS and ESC circuits.(Got this info from two seperate towball companies who refused to fit the controller without it)

You will probably need a weight distrubition hitch to put some of the load back onto the Jayco from the towball.

I went through the same issues with my Toyota Aurion and worked out the cost to be around $1600 (towball,hitch,controller and labour)

In the end went back to my old trusty 4wd, 400,000kms and going strong if not touch slow.

If you have the magna already fitted with the towbar and can spare the cash, then fit the bars and controller in this, remove them when ready to sell on and fit in your 4WD.
AnswerID: 371331

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:31

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:31
See below - I'd say on paper, perhaps, but not on the road!!
FollowupID: 638599

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:25

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:25
Hi. I had a look on the internet for you, and found the following:
Tare wt of Swan Outback is 1165 kg, so by the time you fit a gas bottle or put some food in the pantry, you'll be up to 1200 kg easy. Most people would expect to add 200 - 300 kg to the tare by the time water, gas food and clothing is loaded.
Max towed mass of the Camry is 1200 kg, so the clear answer is that you might just tow the Swan Outback ABSOLUTELY EMPTY legally, but only if the stated tare is accurate.
The Magna is slightly better, at 1500 kg max towing weight.
Hope this helps I used Toyota and Jayco for their figures, and a third party site for the Magna
Regards
AnswerID: 371332

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 21:35

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 21:35
Sorry to say your answers are incorrect.

If the Plated ATM of the towed trailer exceeds the legal towable weight of the tow vehicle or its towbar you may not tow it FULL OR EMPTY.

I found out the hard way and it was very expensive.

The Tare means nothing as far as towing is concerned its the ATM that matters.

Also if you load it up more than the ATM you may well have an insurance claim rejected should you have an accident and overloading can be seen as contributing to the cause.

FollowupID: 638667

Reply By: ozjohn0 - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:31

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:31
What is the ATM of the Swan (On the Compliance Plate) as that is the maximum legal towing weight.
The 2.4 Camry is legally permitted to tow a maximum of 1200kg with a maximum Ball Weight of 120kg. However if the Ball Weight is greater than 90kg then an approved WDH must be used. So it maybe a little close to the wind so to speak.
The Magna can legally tow up to 1500kg with a maximum Ball Weight of 150kg. And a WDH must be used if the Ball Weight exceeds 75kg.
The M'bishi 380 can legally tow 1600kg with a Ball Weight of 160kg and again a WDH must be used.
ozjohn
AnswerID: 371333

Reply By: ozjohn0 - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:35

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:35
I was typing as Chris P was posting.
He's answered the question Re: The ATM as it will be the Tare plus 300kg.
And as I suspected that rules out the Camry.
ozjohn
AnswerID: 371334

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 15:09

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 15:09
I agree with all of the above, the only concern I have is the Wheel Size on the Off Road Trailer and the Wheel Size on either Sedans, even with the Tow Hitch the Trailer will be facing downwards to some degree, not a real safe way to tow in my opinion, it will look like a Pimple on a Pumkin.

Cheers
AnswerID: 371337

Reply By: DaveNQ1 - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 15:44

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 15:44
Best 4x4,
I have a Jayco Eagle Outback and tow it with a 120 series V6 Prado. The Prado tows it well but definately knows it is there.
I also have a 4 cyl 08 Camry Sportivo and would not even consider trying to tow the camper with it. In my opinion, and its only an opinion, i would not tow it with the Camry or the Magna. The difference in height from camper to car would be enough to put me off, plus the fact both cars are front wheel drive and at the top of the weight limits. Not a good mix.

Cheers
Dave
AnswerID: 371338

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:01

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:01
Trying to be helpful, I was able to buy a new trailer hitch tongue to fit into the standard 50mm square towbar receiver, and why can't Best 4x4 measure the extra lift he needs to get the Jayco drawbar roughly level with the towbar of the Magna?, Then, with a proper towbar and WDH plus brake controller, he'll be mobile until the real frn happens when the 4x4 arrives? at least the WDH and the brake controller will be able to be transferred over, so the waste will not be huge.
Surely, if Best 4x4 tries to watch carefully the total weight of the Jayco, PLUS the towball loading,AND the load in the boot of the tow vehicle, he could at least use the Magna safely for a year or so?
I bought a Maytow weighing jack when I first bought my van, and it allowed me to get a measure of confidence that I knew what was going on.
Just my thoughts,in hope that you can enjoy your Swan.
FollowupID: 638609

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:09

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:09
PS I didn't explain too well: my Prado had a factory towbar. The van lined up perfectly, so all was well: until I lifted the Prado suspension by 2 inches, when the van (surprisingly) developed a nose-down attitiude. So I went to my friendly local towbar man, with the measurements, and bought a new tongue that lifted the van nose up to the hitch height. All for about $50.
FollowupID: 638611

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:11

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:11
The Hayman Reece weight distribution equipment comes with an adjustable leg & cam that allows you to adjust the height of the tow ball so that your trailer & vehicle are level.

This equipment, if set up correctly ( & it is easy to do so) transfers the correct proportion of the ball weight to the front axle of the vehicle thereby re establishing your braking & steering capability.

It would be out of the question to tow it with your Camry but your Magna would do the job although you would be near the upper limits.

Don't be put of ref. comments about front wheel drive vehicles not being suitable to tow with. They are, Cheers
AnswerID: 371341

Reply By: Gronk - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 09:39

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 09:39
I think some are missing the point.....even with a WDH ( which cannot be taken into consideration when working out towball weights ) the Camry has no hope of being legal..

The Magna, although at or near it's limit....would be legal....

I personally wouldn't tow at or near the max limit, but it's your car....and it will be legal !!
AnswerID: 371455

Sponsored Links