VMS GPS Units

Submitted: Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 13:51
ThreadID: 70056 Views:9109 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to purchase a GPS Navigation set up for my LC 200 TD.
Initially I had considered the Hema Navigator (what great maps they make) but I find the screen a little small and a couple of friends have had some issues with their units.
I have been alerted to VMS who have introduced 2 "take out" units being the Touring 430 and the Touring 500.
I am interested in the Touring 500 for the 5" touch screen and the ability (in both) for reverse camera attachment (I have a new caravan on order).
Has anyone had experience with VMS Touring units?
They are priced around the same as Hema Navigator and have usual street navigation and 4wd & topo maps.
Our local ARB is an agent also.
Additionally has anyone had the 1 x or 2 x cameras installed and working? Your thoughts?
Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:06

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:06
Peter

You can now get a 5" GPS on ebay for around $200. These will do all thatthe VMS systems will do. Here's a link to one I found just now: GPS on Ebay I use a 4.3" one that I got last year and it runs the Hema (and other) maps on Oziexplorer. The advantage of the VMS unit I guess is that it comes all setup.

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 371327

Follow Up By: Peter W - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 18:56

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 18:56
Thanks for the heads up Peter.
This unit looks ok but yes I prefer VMS for the set up and 2 camera option.
Cheers.
Peter W
FollowupID: 638638

Reply By: Frank D - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 19:40

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 19:40
Hi Peter
I've had a VMS Touring 500 unit with reverse camera now for about 4 weeks,so far so good,I.m still learing and experimenting with it, the GPS seems to work well and is user friendly ready to use straight out of the box.The topo maps are fairly detailed and easy to access via the touch screen.As far as the rear camera goes I find it difficult to judge the distances on screen but you do get a good rear view.I mainly use it as a rear mirror in a ute wher rear vision is
c- - p.
Camera installation is also simple.
Cheers
Frank
AnswerID: 371377

Follow Up By: Peter W - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 21:11

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 21:11
Thanks Frank.
This is exactly the feed back I was after.
Just got word tonight that my new van is ready for pick up in a week and I think I will now opt for a 2 camera deal with the unit.
As for the cameras I am aware that they do take a bit of time to get used to and my need is particularly for the "view" when backing and avoiding kids, trees, obstacles etc and having one/two may save the marriage when parking at CP sites. LOL.
Cheers.
Peter W
FollowupID: 638662

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:29

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:29
Hi Peter,

I have a 200 and replaced the standard radio with a Polaris unit, very similar to the VMS. If budget is not an issue, the VMS radio replacement is the way to go IMHO. You get a "factory" looking dash, no windscreen suction cap holders for prying eyes and a whole lot of extras (bluetooth for phone with full phonebook, multiple reverse cameras, GPS nav + Oziexplorer, DVD player, Ipod player etc...).

After having dashboard mounted GPS for years, its great to get out of the vehicle and not have to remove the GPS out of sight (lost one to a break-in before). And having a reverse camera is great, can finally hook up my Treg hitch by myself :)

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 371416

Follow Up By: Peter W - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:45

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:45
Thanks Captain,
Budget is always an issue (I keep reminding the wife) and I had looked at the VMS in dash unit but it really does not "fit my bill" as I will be using the unit hand held and in a boat from time to time. I appreciate your input and thanks also for the comment on the camera.
Peter W
FollowupID: 638680

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 08:00

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 08:00
Captain, are you sure it has full phone book capabilities as well?
FollowupID: 638690

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 08:58

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 08:58
When I was comparing the VMS to the Polaris, the phone book capabilities was one of the advantages I read about on the VMS (must admit it was the model before the new current one). My Polaris doesn't have it and it is something I would really like - to the point I have considered swapping over to a VMS.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 638696

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:59

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:59
Peter,

I'm not sure what State you are in so this may or may not help.

I just had a Kenwood unit installed in my LC200. It is the DNX7340BTNAV.

Site Link

It comes with the Garmin street nav built in. I had mine fitted by Brian Wallis at Autotainment in Burswood in Perth. If required, he can instal OziExplorer with the full set of Hema maps on it, touch screen, the whole works. But to do this you lose the Garmin street nav and get an alternative (which is OK I believe but I specifically wanted the Garmin street nav so I declined this option). The Bluetooth is great, full phonebook. IPOD connection and control. DVD player.

Image Could Not Be Found

Here you can also see where I placed my UHF and my Scangauge.

By the way, the woodgrain was installed by my local Signs & Stripes man. I really like it.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 371466

Follow Up By: Peter W - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 16:19

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 16:19
Thanks "Gone Bush".
The set up looks good and the woodgrain works well.
I am in Victoria so your local bloke would have been out of reach.
I bit the bullet today and after a fair bit of further research and price haggling I purchased the VMS 500 plus 2 rear view cameras.
I had a good run through with the GPS and it will serve the purpose I need.
Thanks again to all who helped.
Peter W
FollowupID: 638748

Sponsored Links