Walkers Crossing Feedback

Like 'outbackogre' I am planning to travel from Innaminka to the B'ville Track (down to Mungeranie) via Walker's Crossing around mid-July. Is this a track that requires lowering of tyre pressures and risky dune crossings (I will be travelling solo) or just one that needs to be driven with normal outback care for gibbers and bull-dust? I understand that the track is well sign-posted these days - is this so? Thanks, Mallk
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outbackogre - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 18:51

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 18:51
When I did this crossing 3 years ago, it was fairly easy - a flat sandy track for much of the way, perhaps with some sections of gibber, but it seemed like an easier drive than the Birdville track section from Birdsville to the Walker turnoff. Others may be able to comment on the current condition of the track. My only concern this time is water in the Cooper. It was bone dry in 2006 and, by comments on this forum, it would appear that it still is. Have a great trip. Cheers. Rob.
AnswerID: 371364

Follow Up By: Mallk - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:00

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:00
Hi Rob,
Thanks for the feedback.
I was in Innaminka recently (7th June 2009), briefly at the airport, and went down to the pub/trading post to get whatever info I could.
Advice there was that the track is currently well sign-posted (subject to thoughtless souveniring thereof, of course) and that the crossing was unlikely to have water over it at that time, much less mid-July.
So, my concern has mainly been about the degree of difficulty - I'm not a 'hairy-chested' 4WD-er, mainly there to see and enjoy the beauty of the outback, and though I am prepared to drop pressures if necessary, being solo leads me to prefer not to grapple with those conditions.
Your feedback, and that of others to my post, gives me much confidence that I should be able to get from Innaminka to Mungeranie in a day, and enjoy the drive with due care.
I must say that I am impressed with the ExplorOZ Forum and the quality and courtesy of the responses. Thanks very much to all!
Might see you on the track!
Mal
FollowupID: 638671

Follow Up By: Outbackogre - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:53

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:53
No worries Mal. I'll probably have tyre pressures at 30-35 psi. I'll be coming up the Silver City Hwy through Tibooburra to the Dig Tree then on to Innaminka, so I'll get a chance to check how the tyres are going on some diverse terrain. I've just fitted Bridgestone 693's so I hope they survive. Should be up there in about a week so might through before you get there. Safe travels. Rob.
FollowupID: 638681

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 19:02

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 19:02
Mallk
We travelled this track last year and unless it gets rain, is an easy drive.
Flat and sandy, no dunes, the track turns to gibber on the western end but easy going.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 371367

Follow Up By: Mallk - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:13

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:13
Many thanks for your input Chris,
See my FollowUp to Reply1 (Rob) above.
Mal
FollowupID: 638675

Reply By: Frank D - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 19:21

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 19:21
Walkers Xing i a quite an easy drive no dunes to speak of, a little sandy but quite firm. Comiing from Innaminca ther are some slight rutted sections but some side tracks were formed beside the main track nothing to serious.
As you approach the Birdsville Track you experience some gibber its quite isolated and you will enjoy the remotness as I also did it solo,find a nice camp and enjoy it.
Use good maps I found the section on Walker Crossing in the DESERT PASS was good but the kilometer sign posts were out of wack with my speedo.
Take it slowly and enjoy it also remember that with the amount of rain up North it may be quite DAMP give the Innamica Trading Post a call for up to date conditions.
Cheers
Frank
I
AnswerID: 371372

Follow Up By: Mallk - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:20

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:20
Many thanks for your input also Frank,
See my FollowUp to Reply1 (Rob) above.
I will have a GPS and the mileage and GPS coordinates from the ExplorOZ Walkers Crossing site, as well as the Westprint (and other) Birdsville Track, Strezelecki Track, and Coongie Lakes maps - so hopefully, barring too many souvenired signposts, I should find my way.
I will definitely check with the Trading Post just prior to my departure from Cairns re weather and track conditions, and also once I arrive in Innaminka of course. Thanks for that advice.
Mal
FollowupID: 638676

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 21:37

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 21:37
Rain and floods aside, it's an an easy enough bush drive as mentioned above - info to hand through the VKS737 staff network tonight suggests one road sign around Gidgealpa has been souvenired - travellers could get a bit bushed as a result I suppose - there are GPS plots for that track.
AnswerID: 371407

Follow Up By: Mallk - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:32

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:32
Many thanks for your input also Darian,
See my FollowUps to Replies 1-3 above.
I do not have a HF radio, but will have a Satphone (rented) for emergencies.
The VKS737 site looks interesting, and obviously can provide current info on this (and presumably other) tracks, but access appears to be membership-based.
Many thanks,
Mal
FollowupID: 638678

Reply By: zook - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 09:10

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 09:10
Mallk,

i drove this track recently and it was quite easy, though if you are heading up from innamincka it is not as well signposted.. then travelling the other way, you may get a little lost heading through the oilfields but just follow your nose and you should make it through.

the track itself is pretty easy depending on how windy it was the night before (ie. the wind blows sand across the track and can make it heavy going). There were no difficult dune crossings (except if you get lost...) and i wouldn't be concerned abotu travelling it solo. just take the usual care.

note, though that when i went through all the 'arrow' directional signs heading from innamincka to b'ville had been souvenired.. it's fairly straight forward, though you may have to double back a ltitle until you find the track again.

zook
AnswerID: 371754

Follow Up By: Mallk - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 13:37

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 13:37
Thanks Zook!
When was recently?
I keep hearing that the track is well-signposted, but then, like your info, that it is not??
What tyre pressures did you run please?
thanks,
Mal
FollowupID: 639855

Sponsored Links