Were’s the leak in this B***dy tyre?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 18:02
ThreadID: 70093 Views:2875 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday

Have you ever been out in the bush and unable to locate a puncture? Usually it’s pretty evident, but not always. The usual method is to pump the tyre up then listen for the escaping air. A bit of soapy water or fine grain sand will soon locate the damage, and a plug can be put in.

A while back we were out in a remote area of Western Australia and I had no spares left, apart from the one we were working on. At the time I was travelling with a couple of cattlemen.

Try as we might, we couldn’t locate the source of the puncture. So we diverted to a cattle station about 100kms away, and put the tyre into a trough of water. No problems after that.

It turned out that something sharp had gone through the inner side of one of the lugs, did a right hand turn and then forced its way through the carcass.

This probably explains why we couldn’t locate the puncture, because the escaping air was being channelled down the longitudinal thread of the tyre.

There were a number of other things we could have done, but we were a bit light on for water at the time, and none of us had small plastic bags.

I’d be interested to hear from others who have had a similar experience.

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 18:39

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 18:39
I had a problem with a tyre on a truck that would go down after about a week(3500-4000ks), after an extensive look at the tyre tread (tubeless) we couldn't find any fault, any way we ended up swapping 2 tyres onto different rims and the problem was found to be the rim.
Tyre fitters dunked the suspect rim and tyre in their big bath and still couldn't find where the problem was.
General consesus was a hairline fracture somewhere that only opened up when the rim got hot and was under load, turffed the rim and no more flats.
Shane
AnswerID: 371547

Follow Up By: Member - Lotzi (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 13:42

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 13:42
Gday Shane

Had the same problem, an old bloke cleared the paint from the inside of the rim and heated/warmed it up using an oxy, the edges of the fine crack changed colour.
I said, ya done that before .. ... yup.

Cheers
Lotzi
FollowupID: 638904

Reply By: Flywest - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 18:41

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 18:41
Yup... a few of us all peed in a bucket and added lots of detergent, found the blighter eventually - just drink more beer & pee more often eventually you'll find it! The beer has something in it (diuretic)* thats deliberately added by the brewers to make you pee more volume and more often so you can keep drinking more of their product. (tricky huh!).
We used this knoldge to know to keep drinkig beer in preference to wasting the limited drinking water.

The urine is just waste water filtered by your kidneys, quite suitable for finding tyre leaks when you add enough detergent to make it bubble.

You'd think this would be in the tyre changing manual but nope!
Maybe it's too bleedin obvious?

Cheers n beers!

101* usefull beer drinking tips! ;o)
AnswerID: 371548

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 19:15

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 19:15
Bugger Kim and Damn dog, I'm with you! That should be posted on a sign outside every outback pub. Hope you don't mind if I infringe on copyright, but I will copy and paste your post into an email, and send it to
Mrs Bushwhacker :-))
Cheers, Dave
FollowupID: 638797

Follow Up By: gav99x - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 09:23

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 09:23
"The beer has something in it (diuretic)* thats deliberately added by the brewers to make you pee more volume and more often so you can keep drinking more of their product. (tricky huh!)."

That 'something' is alcohol. If the brewer's stop adding that....
FollowupID: 638869

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 19:12

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 19:12
I didn't tell you this Kim , but we often take spray cream in a can , works a treat , also works on apple pie and scones.

Never thought about it, but shaving cream would probably work to , but exploroz members are tough and just use cold water and a big knife to shave with and so wouldn't have shaving cream in a can.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 371552

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 19:43

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 19:43
Gidday Robin

Don’t let out too many secrets.

We were camped up in the Buckland Valley quite a while back and I decided to have a shave after about three days.

So I grabbed a can, which I thought was shaving cream, and got down to business. This was interrupted by resounding laughter from the missus and her sister. After mumbling something about ‘bloody shirlas’, I finished the shave, and then went back from the river to the camp site.

It was then the missus told me I’d been shaving with a can of cow cream!

LOL

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 638800

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 10:59

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 10:59
Haha! Camped near the SA Vic border one morning..... brushed my teeth.

A foaming mouth of shampoo!!!

I don't use shampoo in a tube anymore.... but I can recommend the tooth-cleaning properties of shampoo.

PS.... haven't tried washing hair with toothpaste, and I don't shave... so safe there.
FollowupID: 638884

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 20:28

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 20:28
I use a 500ml spray bottle of water with a squirt of dishwashing liquid - just work your way around the tyre - small leaks will bubble.

Once had a very slow leak out of the sidewall lettering on a tyre - ended up being delamination. Also had a hairline crack in a rim causing a slow leak - that took a while to find.
AnswerID: 371568

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 21:36

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 21:36
Hi Phil,
I recently had a leak from around the schrader fitting, the rubber had come away from the brass centre. I used your idea, partially broke the bead next to the schrader fitting with the Patrol Jack, cut the back of schrader unit , replaced with a new one and let the jack up. Pumped it up!!Too easy..
Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 638823

Sponsored Links