Queensland rest areas

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 17:13
ThreadID: 7011 Views:4363 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
FWD owners who haul caravanners might like to know that Queensland Department of Main Roads has reversed its previous controversial decision to ban overnight camping at some rest areas, particularly on the eastern seaboard. The Local Government Association of Queensland has just issued the following media release:

BREDHAUER REVIEWS ROADSIDE REST AREA POLICY

Queensland councils won a reasonable compromise today with the Minister for Transport, Steve Bredhauer, reviewing his policy on overnight stays in roadside rest areas.

Delegates at the 107th Local Government Association of Queensland annual conference in Cairns welcomed the minister's announcement today that 43 sites identified in the Main Roads' Guide to Queensland Roads could be used by travellers for up to 20 hours, superseding his previous ruling that overnight stays would not be permitted.

Local Government Association of Queensland president, Cr Noel Playford, said the use of roadside rest areas was a road safety issue which had major implications for councils and the tourism industry.

"Allowing travellers to use roadside rest areas for up to 20 hours is a win for local government, travellers, tourists and the accommodation sectors as well as a victory for the good management of roads," Cr Playford said.

END

Commonsense finally prevails!!!!

Dennis
Westport 18ft full van
Falcon AU sedan
http://home.worldoptions.com.au/damor
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan H - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 17:49

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 17:49
They tried the same thing in WA a few years ago, probably, it was generally thought by us cynics, to help their mates with caravan parks.
As far as I know it was dropped for the same safety reasons.
We really should lock the bloody pollies away so they can't find out about stupid rules and regs. the other loonies around the country (around the world!!) have tried and abandoned after it's been thought through.
Where do we get these idiots from, one agency will be shouting for less deaths on the road, and another will be trying to cause more!
Words nearly fail me.
AnswerID: 30016

Follow Up By: Pat - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 13:34

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 13:34
In this case it's QLD Transport doing both. Bit like the old days when Dept Heath spent millions on antismoking campaigns and the Dept Primary Industry spent millions helping tobacco growers become more efficent.
FollowupID: 21158

Reply By: Willie - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 19:38

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 19:38
Thanks for that information, Wizzy.........Pleased to hear someone has seen the light.
Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 30026

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 19:41

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 19:41
No matter who you vote for - you always end up getting a politician
JackAustralia - If you don't love it, leave!!!
AnswerID: 30028

Reply By: TonyY - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:06

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:06
I would like to know what the authorities would do if they tried to move you on and you refused on the grounds that you were too tired to continue driving.

Interesting liability issues if you drove on and had an accident.
AnswerID: 30074

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 16:15

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 16:15
That's why he changed his mindRegards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 21166

Reply By: Slammin - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 23:15

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 23:15
FWIW we always stay at rest areas etc and say sorry didn't realise it's no camping and sorry officer but I just finished my second six pack.
Only told to move on once, which was at the NP just outside Pine Gap. "Get moving 10k that way and you will have no prob's with drink driving - stay and the Fed's will lock you up".
AnswerID: 30165

Sponsored Links