AAAArrrrrrgh! Hooked!

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 15:46
ThreadID: 70143 Views:2668 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
My Daughter and I paddled up the Katherine Gorge a couple of weeks ago. I had a win!

I found a rather nice lure. The hooks were just a bit rusty, but nothing a bit of steel wool couldn't fix.

That recouped a little of the $40 each to hire canoes!

Yesterday I reached back behind the seat to get some work gloves. The damn lure got caught on one. I held the lure with my left hand and pulled on the glove. The glove came free as a hook embedded into the back of my ring finger.

Ow!

I pulled on the hook. It was stuck. I pulled REALLY HARD! The barb held tight.

Ow!

Meanwhile the other hooks were attacking me. Ow! Ow!

I used my Gerber to cut the hook.... grasped and pulled EXTRA HARD expecting my flesh and skin to rip as the head came out.... Nup.... I couldn't dislodge it.

So.... I held my breath... plucked up courage and pushed the hook through he skin ahead of its barb.... out it came.... so did blood..... I felt a bit squeamish.

I went in to get sympathy from my better 3/4 and daughter.

Wife: "Get a band aide".
Daughter: "Did you wreck the hook?"

Me: "Ow"

Any sympathy?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 16:00

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 16:00
ow! ow! ow!

That hurt.
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 371806

Reply By: T-Ribby - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 16:16

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 16:16
been there done that !. With single hooks I break/file the barb off.
Here's a tried and tested method next time you get hooked. I always carry a strong piece of nylon to do the job. The trick is to push the eye down firmly which opens the wound to let the barb out and you collapse on the floor.

http://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/general/hookout.htm

cheers
T.R.
AnswerID: 371808

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 18:15

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 18:15
Thanks for that advice. I checked out your link.
Mate.... it was way more severe! I absolutely could not pull it out that way.
My wife is an ambo..... she assures me that the size hook and depth meant that the only way out was to keep it moving in the forward direction....

Ow!
FollowupID: 639114

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 19:22

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 19:22
With the sympathy you received Royce figured your wife was in the medical profession. My wife is an RN so know the score. Mind you she is tough, got a lure in her arm once, tied it up so it couldn't move then continued to cast lures all day, till we got back to camp and she got it out herself.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 639132

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 07:54

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 07:54
so thats how my bloody fish get off the hook
FollowupID: 639189

Reply By: Moto - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 17:26

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 17:26
Royce

I know a good Ambulance Driver from the L Valley that would help with your finger... if you only showed her more attention !!!!

Weather has been like Autumn down here,...just perfect for riding those bikes !!

Hope that new Van is exceeding your expectations.

With regards.

Ian

One life. Live it while you can.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 371819

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 18:17

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 18:17
Gday Ian!

I'm home already and loving the weather.
Crazy. One week I was in Darwin... then freezing in The Alice and then got home to be in shirtsleeves again a week later.

Got any of those bikes working yet?

FollowupID: 639115

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 17:49

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 17:49
Well, Royce, isn't it nice to know you can always come on here to get sympathy from your friends.....
Sounds like it woulda been a real good lure, if it took that much getting out, and it sounds like your daughter is a real fisherwoman, she knew what was important, and that wasn't your pain! Hope your trip is going well, travel safe, Dave
AnswerID: 371823

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 18:02

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 18:02
Yep....I have done it too.....and don't expect any sympathy, they won't give it....but I cut the shank off leaving just enough out so that I could grab it with the pliers later( it was a treble) and kept on fishing with the same lure for another two hours because the fish were biting.....but I paid for it later.
Got it out eventually......blutty painful....but caught some really nice fish and had a ball.

Still have the scar and it's always a great story for those that want to hear.
AnswerID: 371828

Reply By: Member - Robert M (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 19:40

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 19:40
Gidday Royce, if that was the one with rusty hooks I hope your Tetanus Shots are up to date. I have felt the odd hook in my fingers.
Cheers
Rob Mac
AnswerID: 371846

Reply By: sweetwill - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 19:52

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 19:52
hi royce
that lure didnt happen to be a gold 6" bomber did, it if so its mine ill send my address to you later cheers bill.
AnswerID: 371848

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 20:56

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 20:56
Yep been there done that.
Was standing on the deck of a tourist boat in Milford Sound when I worked there many years ago.

Dipstick tourist made an over shoulder cast and I felt a tug on the back of my shirt.
Tried to pull shirt around but no go. Tourist pulled shirt up and hook was buried right up to shaft.

OH dear he said Not exactly what I said.

Result was one of the crayfishermen came up with a pair of pliers and said hold still and pushed it right through, cut off the eye and pulled it out.

Sympathy Ha ha

Foreman was on boat and stuck a bandaid over it and said well lot of work to do today so lets go.
Spent the next week splitting logs with an axe and wedges.

Still got the scar but neck wont turn far enough to see it LOL

Tourists and idiots same thing different description.

LOL

AnswerID: 371855

Reply By: Flywest - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 19:13

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 19:13
Used to teach fly casting a lot once upon a time.

I took a young lad about 11 years old maybe on a lake in a little row boat!.

He was doing pretty good actually but I turned the boat across the wind as he cast, and the hook went right thru my cheek!

You reckon that thing would come out? no way - my check stretched like a bellows but the hook stayed put!

When we got to land his father says let me havea go - claiming to be a doctor - sure thing!

Turns out he was a dentist not a doctor and still the hook stayed put!

Eventually got jack of every man and his dog pushing and pulling at my cheek and the more it went on the more it swole up.

In the end I put two fingers - one each side of the hook to hold my cheek still and used the other hand yo just yank it out backwards.

Came out pretty easey oncei got dinkum at yanking on it!

Lesson learned - get serious and just yank it out before every man and his dog gets in on the act and torments you like a hooked fish!

Ohh - and learn to duck quicker when you see hooks headed your way!

Occupational hazzard really!

I remember I pulled a M/cycle helmet out of my kit one day and put it on when this crazy yank kept bouncing hooks with dumbell eyes off my crewit... he looked a little miffed in front of his girlfriend and primised he'd be more careful in future.

Next cast bounced off the helmet like a rifle bullet and chip of paint & fibreglass went skywards - the girlfriend just looked at me and shrugged - I wore the helmet the resat of the day! ;o)

Poor guy never caught any fish either - he just wasn't cut out to fly fish I guess!

Cheers
AnswerID: 372000

Reply By: Member - Gaz@Gove (NT) - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 12:04

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 12:04
Happened to me once not long ago, lure was also attached to a fish and had to cut the hook. Ended up at the hospital and had it removed. Was told by the nursing staff that it happens that often up here they almost demand you give them the fish as well.
Mmmmmmmm, now where do we go next?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 372074

Sponsored Links