Van wheel alignment...perhaps?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 16:08
ThreadID: 70177 Views:4020 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
After returning from a 17000km trip I have noticed that the inside of one tyre is severely worn. The wear is fairly even right around the tyre. The van is a single axle with leaf springs plus shockies. The tyre is not PERFECTLY round as I have jacked it up and noticed the tyre will juuust touch and juuust miss a refernce point when rotated.
Do I need to pay more attention to tyre pressure? Both tyres were at same pressure but no undue wear on other tyre.
Do I need to have the axle/wheel alignment checked?...If so, does anyone know of anyone ( in the Liverpool area preferably) able to do this please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 16:48

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 16:48
G'day Henpecked(???),
As it seems the van has 'conventional suspension, 'solid' axle and tyre wear is restricted to one tyre then it is likely the cause is in the area of that tyre/wheel. If it was an axle alignment issue you would expect to see a similar concern with the other tyre, however the wear would likely be on the outside edge of the tyre.
I would first check for any looseness in the wheel bearing adjustment, and correct that. In the event there is looseness and that has caused significant tyre wear I would check the outer bearing for any untoward wear, if ok repack and install with correct adjustment.
Is it possible the van took a big (pothole) hit on that side and there is a slight bend in the axle end, this would explain one wheel/tyre only showing wear.
I'd start with the wheel bearing adjustment and go from there, ie simplest things first.
Rgds,
Rob.
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 371972

Follow Up By: henpecked - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 17:38

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 17:38
G'Day Rob, it was by servicing the wheel bearings I noticed the tyre wear. Before removing the split pin, I marked the wheel nut so as I knew where to re-tighten the nut to. I recollect thinking at the time on that particular wheel the nut seemed a bit loose, but hey, I had had the bearings done by the pro's prior to the trip. Anyway when I reassembled everything I took the nut up to the same castellation, but had to use a spanner to get there...too tight in my opinion so backed off one castellation which feels good to me. It appears to me now that the nut was originally 5/6 of a turn too loose.
Thanks for your help.
Rgds. Ted
FollowupID: 639254

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 17:25

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 17:25
Measure accurately the distance between both the front and rear widest points of tyres at axle height and you will see if one is toeing out or not.

AnswerID: 371981

Reply By: Member - Fred G NSW - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 18:28

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 18:28
17000 k's is a lot of k's without doing any bearing and wheel checks on the road, especially if you had new ones fitted before setting sail.
I keep a watch on hub temperatures at most stops, only takes a few seconds, while you stretch your legs, and can save a lot of heartache as I found out with a boat trailer many years ago. About every 3000 k's I quickly jack each side of the van up and check for bearing flog, and check the wheel for any problems. Cheap insurance and peace of mind.
Hope you find the source of your problem.

Fred.
AnswerID: 371995

Reply By: Flywest - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 19:02

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 19:02
Camber on the road? Prevailing wind buffetting from one side?

Just athought!

Cheers
AnswerID: 371998

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 20:08

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 20:08
It sounds to me like it is probably the stub axle is bent a little bit.

It maybe toed out a fraction, causing just the inside of the tyre to be the leading edge as you drive along, rather than the full width of the tyre.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 372010

Reply By: Member - Rodney B- Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:44

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:44
Had the same problem on my camper trailer after a Cape trip from Melb. It had a single axle and leaf springs. Used a string line to check the axle alignment to the centre of the towball and found the R/H side was back by more than 1/2 inch. Undid the U bolts and realigned it (axle locators are not welded on the axle on mine) and it now tows square behind the car. Of course you can't change the toein on a solid axle but you can make sure it is square behind your vehicle.
AnswerID: 372106

Sponsored Links