stormcover for the caravan

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:32
ThreadID: 70203 Views:2573 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all the van is almost here and am having a hard time deciding on a type of cover for it as a carport will not fit or suit our house any way the company that makes them is called stormcovers Australia . there r two types to buy there is a grey type that breaths keeps uv off but not water proof. the second one is fully water proof ,uv proof,has a layer of high density foam on the inside to keep hail damage to a minimum . The second one is my pick but im worried about it not being able to breath and sweeting thus destroying the van . so dose anyone have ether type of cover and how long have u had it and do u get any problems like sweeting,mould,rubbing,ect . hope to here lots of replys and ill say thanks for the repl
ps spell check not working

cheers nicko
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big Al. Gold Coast - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:52

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:52
We have the ''Stormcover '' for the truck but found it too bulky to store, so I removed the sides and now only use it when there is a chance of hail.

It covers the length of the truck with a overhang along the sides of about 300mm No trouble with it sweating or marking. the foam is quite soft.
AnswerID: 372107

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 18:09

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 18:09
Howdy Nicko, we have a Sunland Prestige Caravan Cover that we bought about three years ago for about $350.00 & from your above description of what you are considering fits into the " grey type that breathes etc." The top (roof) section is waterproof, but the remainder is material that breathes. We are more than happy with it.
However.......... I recently noticed that a decal map of Australia that I put on the van about 12 months ago has signs of being "rubbed". There does not appear to be any rubbing on the paint work of the van, but will be keeping a close watch.
Our van is a pop top & we store it with top up & windows a little open & we do not experience mildew. Max time that the van would be covered to date would be about six months.
I am working hard on how I can convert the storage time to on road time!!
Hope the info helps a little & cheers.
AnswerID: 372110

Follow Up By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 20:08

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 20:08
I have the exact same cover and mine is nearly buggered after 2 years. it rubs badly on the corners and the material has broken down. i removed it a couple of weeks ago and when i went to pull it over the side it ripped open where i grabbed it,then the sewn on velcro strap got hooked under the awning and tore it out leaving a nice hole in it again!! tossed it in the bin-no more cover
FollowupID: 639383

Reply By: Member - Brian R (WA) - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 18:58

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 18:58
Hi Nicko

we have an A'Van which we bought second hand. It had been under a vinyl cover for a whilee. With any cover I would be keeping an eye on the paint work and windows made of poly carb, for signs of rubbing. But if you leave a roof vent open a little and with the natural flow of air .....lets hope you don't have a moisture probemBrian R
AnswerID: 372114

Reply By: Dirk T - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 19:29

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 19:29
Hi Nicko,
I bought a cover from caravan motorhome covers and it wasn't cheap, just under a grand. I'm happy with the cover but my biggest gripe is that there aren't enough tie downs to secure the cover to minimise "rubbing" and having had the cover on for one winter, when we took the cover off I noticed a fair amount of rub to the windows and also the paint work (but then again I am a painter so I know what I'm looking for). There were no problems with mould and the cover was made from "breathable fabric" and generally it is a good cover. From what I could see when it had rained, no water came through the cover. I would suggest that whatever cover you settle on make sure there are plenty of tie down ropes or straps. For what it would take to double the amount of straps at the time of manufacture would be minimal thereby minimising the "rub".
Cheers for Now!!
When all else fails!..............Have a beer, or 2 or 3 or 4!!!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 372116

Sponsored Links