Suspension Air Bags

Submitted: Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 17:49
ThreadID: 70243 Views:3605 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm thinking of putting some airbags in the rear coils on my LC200.

I've had Polyairs before in my 80. One had to be replaced but otherwise they were OK. But I am also interested in the Firestones.

I've asked several installers in Perth and they all say good things about the particular brand they sell and say less than good things about the other one. Understandable I suppose.

Could I get some feedback from members who have either brand installed please?

I must admit I am favouring the Firestones. I have heard they can take higher pressures but advice from those who have either brand would be appreciated.

I will be using them, and a WDH, when towing my caravan. I'm not ready, yet, to upgrade the suspension.

cheers & thanks

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: shanegu6 - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:00

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:00
Hi Gone Bush, i had Firestones installed in a GU patrol. After 3 trips passenger side developed a small tear on the seam part of the bag. No warranties. Installed by ARB. It was being used offroad when occured towing a 1500kg camper van. I dont believe it was a rock or stick as it is a clean tear, about 30mm long. I tend to think i just got a faulty bag. Apart from that they do there job. Only had 15 pound in the bags.b
AnswerID: 372339

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:24

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:24
I have airbags on my rear suspension for some time now with no issues whatsoever....however had heard of others having some problems...but not me....and I will get them again.

http://www.airbagman.com.au/
AnswerID: 372343

Reply By: Welldone WA - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:26

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:26
G'Day Gone Bush,

I bought a 24volt Jap import hj61Sahara that had been converted to a tray back crew cab back in 2004 and after a trip to Exmouth fully loaded with camping/fishing gear it became painfully obvious that the rear leaf springs needed "assistance".

So on return to Perth a set of Firestone airbags were fitted on the back . They made a huge difference. I can now cope with 4X the pre-airbag load, the ride is just as comfortable as before and each airbag can be individually adjusted to level the vehicle.

After nearly 5 years the has been zero problems with them, a mate of mine who had a 80series with Polyair in his rear suspension never went more than 18 months before one of the airbags failed and needed to be replaced.

Please Note: The airbags WILL level the vehicle but WILL NOT balance the weight . You can have a level looking car with "ultra light steering" if you aren't careful!

PS---I have no affiliation with Firestone , just a very satisfied customer

Welldone
AnswerID: 372344

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:26

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:26
Hi Stephen,

I had Firestone's in my last GU and after 5-1/2 years one developed a leak on the air-line fitting into the bag - wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

I was going to fit Firestone airbags to my cruiser, but I have put in the ARB suspension (medium load rear springs, 0.75" lift, OME 722's) and haven't found the need to date. My camper trailer has a drawbar weight of ~120kg and I have found the suspension change a huge improvement over stock. No longer have the drop in rear height when a load is on the back, but that limousine ride is now a bit firmer (ride quality depends on taste, I prefer the firmer ride).

If your not ready to do a suspension change yet, then definitely recommend airbags as the way to go.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 372345

Reply By: D200Dug- Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:31

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:31
I have polyairs this is my second set and I have only wrecked one from a faulty inflation gauge that blew the bag out :-(

I have carried some heavy loads in the back of my old ute !!!
AnswerID: 372346

Reply By: Ray - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 19:10

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 19:10
Try:- trucksprings .com You could save a heap of doe and get technical advice as well
AnswerID: 372354

Follow Up By: Ray - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 19:14

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 19:14
I meant to add that I have a set in my 80ser. and tow a 17' 6" caravan. My set is equipped with a compressor and gauge.
FollowupID: 639593

Reply By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 19:18

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 19:18
I have the Firestone Coil-rites in my 100 and after 5 years no problems, initially i had them both replaced under warrenty as the fitting in the top of the bag popped out due to faulty manufacture. new ones have no such problem.would get them again,also my mate has(had) polyairs but endless bkt,hose and busting bags( at the hose fitting end of the bag) he gave up on them,we removed them and fitted heavier springs and he was much happier. on the other hand i have heard many good stories about them.IMHO i thought the polys were a bit like a shopping bag compared to the firestones that feel much stronger but thats just me!
AnswerID: 372357

Reply By: gwezza - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 21:05

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 21:05
We were advised by our local RV centre to use Firestones on our 80 Series he claimed they were stronger than Polyair. We are more than happy with their performance. We are now considering putting them on our caravan.
Cheers
AnswerID: 372380

Reply By: jeepthing - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 14:50

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 14:50
I've had polyairs in 2 vehicles without any problems.

I believe you need to be careful as to how much pressure you have in airbags if you go too high you'll find you will have a very hard ride with the tyres taking most of the shock which can cause a tyre blowout.

I only run between 10/15 psi which is a fair bit of pressure in what is really only in a small area.

Personally I believe they are a better option than upgrading suspension which will give a terrible ride when unladen, once you deflate the airbags to 5psi, recommended, you'll find you'll have the same ride as before.
AnswerID: 372467

Follow Up By: Member - Bob-h(QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 15:04

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 15:04
Polyairs + HD rear coils will help with the BT when it arrives
Bob
FollowupID: 639871

Sponsored Links