Rear View Camera / Screen

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 18:02
ThreadID: 70276 Views:4816 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Mate a mine (Phearless Phil) is after one of those reversing / rear view type cameras / screens for towing his 22 ft caravan, with the troopy.

Troopys narrow and even with the clip on side mirrors its still tough to see following vehicles - in order to pull over occasionally and let em pass.

He is hoping to install one of those reversing cameras on the rear of the van, and connect it to this park lights so it runs all the time while driving and he will be more aware of what traffic is behind him, and if it is building up and time to pull over into a truck bay and let them all pass.

He would like a "wireless" setup between camera on rear of van and screen on vehicle dashboard.

I suggested one of the high end navigation / rear view camera combos but he already has the navigation setup etc so really just wants the rear view camera screen wireless units on its own - that can cope with long term continuous use, rather than just occasional use when reversing.

Anyone know of such a beast?

I and he tried a few searches of the database but drew a blank so far.

Cheers & thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tim_c - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 18:28

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 18:28
Try this or this from Dick Smith. The first one's on sale ($70 off) if you buy it today!
AnswerID: 372497

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 18:31

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 18:31
We have rear view camera on the back of our van its fantastic there isnt anything we cant see. My husband originally wanted a wireless conection but after much research found that wireless wasnt very reliable because of the line of sight factor I believe. Sorry wasnt too into the technical side of it just said "yes dear" LOL.

Its a dedicated set-up and the small camera is installed in the corner of the toolbox on the rear so that nobody can pinch it too easily. He also has one near our tow bar for ease of hitching and reversing. I think the cameras where around the $250 each if memory serves me correct and the screen which is in the middle of the console on the Jeep was a bit more. Should have paid more attention to detail shouldnt I. The box is still in the hall cupboard I will have to take a look and maybe I can give you some brand names. Not a cheap set up but has been there over a year now and hasnt failed us once in many serious trips including much off road around Gibb River and the Pilbara.
AnswerID: 372499

Reply By: henpecked - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 20:05

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 20:05
G'day Flywest. I have not yet heard a positive report regarding wireless systems, they are apparently very sensitive to interference. My first monitor was of the rearvision mirror type...99% useless due to reflection.
I now have a reasonable system with an 7(?) inch monitor from Brash or Bash imports on the net in Vic.. My cameras were obtained by my mechanic...they are CMOS, not CCD which I believe are far better and somewhat more expensive. My van camera is powered through the vans parking lights and is on all the time. Must admit to being a bit disappointed with the result on the open road of the van system due to the camera being "wide angle" rather than "long lens", thus following vehicles need to be fairly close to be seen in the monitor...very good in towns. BE SURE to fuse any positive leads.
AnswerID: 372513

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 20:13

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 20:13
To put it plainly Wireless is crap. You have a heap of metal between the camera and the receiver.

I had one it would work fine in line of sight of the receiver, take it behind the van and it was terrible.

Also the same for rear vision mirror screens They are not bright enough to overcome the reflection in the mirror had one as well and binned it.

The best way is to get on EBAY and look for a couple of MINICAMS from a seller called 95soarer.

I have them and they are good quality and very small.

ask him to supply a screen that allows two cameras and I doubt the lot will cost much over $200
The cameras are only about $24 each.

They run on RCA cables and you just run one through the chassis rail on the van and another from the screen to the rear of the car.
I would run the power wires from the car rather than the tail lights on the van as mine is like that and i have an earth fault which creates a buzz in the radio when the camera is on.
You only need one RCA for the video so you can run the power and earth thru the other one of the normal pair that they come in.
Another one runs to the one on the rear of the car .

MM me for further info including how to wire them up in both reverse and full time
Have a look in my profile for pics of the system in a 100 ser

Cheers
AnswerID: 372515

Follow Up By: henpecked - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 23:02

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 23:02
I purchased my rearview monitor from 95soarer and wanted to return it as it was NBG in my opinion. Mr 95soarer would have nothing to do with that idea even after I complained through ebay...
FollowupID: 639777

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 23:10

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 23:10
What in your opinion was wrong with it as he has always been a good helpful seller as far as I can see. What did Ebay say he should do.

Was it faulty in which case he probably should have replaced it or did you just not like it in which case he doesnt have to.

The cameras he sells are excellent for the price and mine is giving as good a picture as the $170 Polaris one.

When buying screens it always pays to look at the resolution against the size,

in the same way you do with computer screens.

FollowupID: 639779

Follow Up By: henpecked - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 16:26

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 16:26
G'Day Graham. I was cheesed off that his advertisment for the rearview monitor showed a nice clear image(from camera) in the monitor portion of the unit where as in fact unless the monitor was placed in such a position that there is no light to hit the unit, all that can be seen is the normal mirror rearview. Soarer said adv. for illustration purpose only!!
Must admit one of the two cameras I purchased from him didn't work which he replaced promptly...The second camera went faulty soon after installation,couldn't be bothered chasing it up.
Too long ago to recall ebay comments.
FollowupID: 639892

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 19:03

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 19:03
Yep buyer beware and dont believe the hype.

Stuff I have bought from him has been good but none of the mirror screens are any good despite what some may say.

I even tried a plastic clear non reflective cover over mine

Cheers

FollowupID: 639909

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 20:23

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 20:23
If he uses Aussie truck mirrors instead of Strapons he can widen them so he can see the whole side of the van

I have a 22 foot van and have had no trouble in the 11,000km I have done in the last 4 months.

I find that when wearing sunglasses it is hard to see whats on the screen anyway.
Mine is mounted in front of the radio mid dash

A combination of vigilance in checking the mirrors constantly and using a UHF to keep in touch with the truckies is really good enough..

When driving I never turn my head toward the passenger when talking which I find is a very distracting thing that lots of drivers do and its a very bad habit.

Nowever a camera is an aid and is not a substitute for mirrors which are a legal requirement whether you have a camera or not.

See my other post for cameras.

AnswerID: 372518

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 20:44

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 20:44
I agree with the others about the wireless set-ups..... it will all end in tears and swearing if he goes down that track.

FWIW I suggest he looks at the Polaris brand. I've had mine for about 5 years and never an issue. There is a heavy duty coily cord between vehicle and trailer. The cord has a plug on each end, so it can be totally removed (to save it from being vandalised etc) when not in use.

I have the set-up with 2 cameras as the back of my Patrol (dual cab) has no window etc, so I can't see much directly behind.....internal mirror was a waste of space. So, I removed the mirror and mounted the 5" screen in it's place. Too easy!!!!!!!!

Roachie
AnswerID: 372522

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 22:35

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 22:35
Only drawback is the $650 price tag.
I have a Polaris screen and camera and the $24 I got off Ebay is as good as what Polaris wanted to charge $170 for.

Dennis on here sells a set like that for less I think

www.sidewinder.com.au

FollowupID: 639769

Reply By: WBS - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 08:45

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 08:45
I just recently fitted a Reversing camera system to my vehicle. I opted for the hard wired type after reading nothing but bad reports on the wireless systems on various fourms. I bought mine at a recent Caravan and Camping Show and it works well. Its great for reversing onto my trailer unassisted. Also gives great visibility at the back so I can see right to my bumper meaning it reduces the risks of backing into or over anyone. I have no intention of using them as a replacement for my Aussie Mirrors.

Here's where I bought it from. No I have no affiliation with this bloke he just happened to have what I wanted for a reasonable price.

http://www.safetydave.com.au/

WBS
AnswerID: 372574

Reply By: Flywest - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 13:55

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 13:55
Thanks everyone - Phearless has bought himself a unit thats wireless but has a hard wire cable as well - he says he will try and hard wire it to eliminate the wireless problems and see how he goes.

He says thanks for all the advice etc - much appreciated.

You'll know if your behind him - the van has a sign that reads "speed limited - by toyota!" ;o)

Cheers!
AnswerID: 372761

Sponsored Links