WOULD YOU BELEIVE ME IF??....

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 21:54
ThreadID: 70284 Views:3067 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I told you that I saw a stingray in the water underneath the bridge over the Wenlock river just below Moreton Telegraph Station?? - during my recent Cape trip

Well for the ones that dont - take a look at this pic

[img]
[/img]

and his swimming mate

[img]
[/img]
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 22:19

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 22:19
Yes I would believe you, I've seen a shark at Fizroy Crossing, and during the wet season floods around Normanton/Burketown 2005/6 there were reports of Sharks up to 85 Klms South of the coastline of the Gulf of Carpentaria near Augustus Downs station. Also Sharks have been seen here on Mt Bundy Station which is around 188 Klms up stream from the mouth at Beagle Gulf.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 372543

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 22:22

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 22:22
Yep - there was talk of a Bullshark also been seen not too far away when the river was running a bit deeper
FollowupID: 639767

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 22:38

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 22:38
KiwiAngler
Bullsharks have been in this paddock behind the Buffalo's ,

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639770

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 22:46

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 22:46
So I guess we should check for:

snakes
stingrays
Bullsharks AND
crocs
before we walk a river crossing :-) :-)
FollowupID: 639773

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 00:00
Don't forget the most dangerous ones, tourists in rental 4x4's.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639792

Follow Up By: Troppo Tom (Virginia, N.T.) - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 00:09

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 00:09
Yeah mate, they keep coming at you!! :-)

FollowupID: 639795

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 09:54

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 09:54
Gday
Of course we believe you...They were on the news last night.
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 372586

Reply By: HappyCamper - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 10:20

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 10:20
G'day Kiwi

I believe you because a few years ago I was sleeping on top of my swag on a bank along the Wenlock River and during the night was woken by a stingray splashing in the shallow water below. Getting showered with cold water during a deep sleep wasn't my idea of the best wake up call.

On another trip I camped further along the Wenlock in a dry section but had been warned a 'cranky snake' had been seen in the area the previous day. Unfortunately the people couldn't identify the snake so I slept in a tent (well zipped) that night, not nearly as nice as sleeping under the stars in such a wonderful spot.

Enjoy your trip
Bronwyn ;-)

AnswerID: 372589

Follow Up By: Batboy - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 18:54

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 18:54
Ok so you were sleeping on TOP of your swag close enough to the river to be splashed by a stingray... Dude there is nobbly headed sharp toothed prehistoric hungry beasts in them waters.. LOL
FollowupID: 639908

Reply By: Member - Rodney B- Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 10:38

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 10:38
We were camped on the fresh water at the Calvert River in the NT a few years ago about 50kms from the salt water and were awakened to an enormous splashing early in the night. Spotlights in hand we were amazed to see stingrays coming upstream in the shallows and some were over 4 ft across the back. Also were catching sharks and huge Gropers (I had to use the winch on the fourby to get one groper on the bank) which we photographed and rolled him back into the river no worse for wear. One night we also found a sea snake in the shallows chasing small fish. This was a pure fresh water lagoon at the same location.
So they were sharing the river with large crocs which obviously eat them.
So you can imagine we were very selective where we swam.
AnswerID: 372593

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 19:54

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 19:54
I'll keep my eyes open. ;)
AnswerID: 372677

Reply By: Flywest - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 14:09

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 14:09
Phummy what people will believe, if they see it in wiriting (ergo it was published so it MUST be true)!

Mate a mine in Kiwi land is a fishing journo, and one day in a pique of boredom wrote a fictitious piece about how him n a mate were up a particular stream during the trout season closed for spawning period, just "looking" to see how many big trout were using the stream to spawn, coz they had nothing better to do that day.

Claimed they discovered that the particularly large flounder from the river estuary go upstreanm to spawn in the dead of winter - heaps n heaps of them and hungry as all get out - wrote all about how many they hooked on their fly rods and what a great adversary they were when they went sideways in the winter flow of the creek etc etc - really hammedit up.

Said they took a heap home to eat and they were much better tasting coz the esturay mud taste washed out in the fresh stream while they were spawning etc etc.

It was a masterfull piece of work - purely fictional of course - BUT - heres the wierd bit:-

It got past the editor - who knew nuttin bout flounder fishing or their breeding habits, and got published.

Next month theres all these fly types up the creek in their waders with fly rods in the closed for trout spawning period, trying to locate the "schools of massed flounder waiting to spawn"....

And the local Fisheries guy was non too pleased at all!

So - the magazine had to print a apology and point out that anyone who knew anything bout flounder ould know they don't go up creeks to spawn etc, and how it was a foctional piece designed to poke fun at the all knowing fly fishing folk in their fancy waders etc.

It worked just a tad too well for a tongue in cheek piece of fictional writing, designed to show up so many of the self proclaimed "experts".

I must see if I can locate a copy - its a pure masterpeice - BUT it shows how many of us are conditioned from a once a lifetime ago reliable press who double checked their facts, into now blindly believing everything we see in print.

Only believe half what you read, and nothing of what you hear, and the rest is pure unadulterated bull excrement!

Yes - Ol Stu spins a jolly good yarn!

Cheers
AnswerID: 372762

Sponsored Links