Diesel engine starts but then dies - why???

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 08:12
ThreadID: 7029 Views:11632 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
All,
Out with an old blue Toyota shorty the other day, and it had trouble starting and running on a 30 degree slope (or thereabouts). Engine would not start (turn over) half the time, and then when it started, it would often run for a few seconds and then die. The first problem sounds electrical, and the second fuel but I don't know. Someone suggested that it could be the lift pump struggling to get fuel from the tank on an angle, or an oil pressure sensor/cutout function that those old engines (2H I think) had. Any ideas would be appreciated.....Russell S
Prado RV6
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hughesy - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 11:04

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 11:04
Russell, could be a few things. If your on that much of a slope it could well be the low oil level sensor on the sump. Does it start and run fine when on the flat? Getting fuel from the tank on that angle wouldn't be a problem unless there was none/ very little in there. But if this happens on the flat as well it could be an electrical problem. Hope this helps a bit.
Cheers,
Hughesy
AnswerID: 30082

Reply By: Wazza (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 13:39

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 13:39
My 80 series does the same thing, drops idle to nearly on stall speed when stopped on a steep slope. I think the pump having to struggle to move fuel uphill like you say.Cheers,
Wazza
----------------------
AnswerID: 30093

Reply By: andy - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 14:03

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 14:03
It sounds a lot like the oil pressure sensor cutting the fuel out. The sensor is set to do this on the 2H and other engines when the oil pressure is insufficient to safely run the motor. Get the vehicle on relatively flat ground and it should stop. Also if it is really cold and the oil is not flowing well, the 2H is prone to doing this at start up. The answer on cold days is just to give the motor a few revs ( approx 1200) at start up. This is usually enough to get the oil through the motor and get it running. If this does not work then I cannot help. You should hear the click of the cutout relay in the glovebox area if it is a low oil pressure problem.
AnswerID: 30097

Reply By: howesy - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 17:48

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 17:48
The oil pressure sensor cut out will normally let the engine run unsay it has trouble starting as well then I would look at the fuel and in particular I would change the filter.
Incidently most of those sensors can be tested by simply pulling the wire off and trying it under those conditions. If the sensor is stuffed it will run perfectly when disconnected and shut down when connected.

Don't leave your sensor disconnected !!
AnswerID: 30118

Reply By: Eric - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 22:45

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 22:45
Russell.
Its amazing the people who don't read the question before answering:
You have two seperate problems, the first is in your starter, the contacts in the soleniod burn away in these starters, the repiar is easy and cheap just take the plate of the back of the soleniod and remove the plunger, you will see 2 copper 90deg strips replace those and your first problem is fixed. the second is most likely your fuel filter, replace it and bleed the air out using the hand pump and your away. Eric.
AnswerID: 30162

Sponsored Links