Elders Insurance

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 11:36
ThreadID: 70295 Views:2480 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience or know anything about Elders Insurance both from a service angle as well as the financial stability of the company?

They have a very economical house contents cover which gives cover Australia wide and the excess does not increase when you are away for more than 90 consecutive days.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: itsdave - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 11:44

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 11:44
I had commercial van insurance with them until last year . Had one claim and they were very good and quick to respond as the van was my business vehicle and needed to be on the roadasap. They handled everything very well. They are also a very large and well established company.

Cheers Dave
AnswerID: 372612

Reply By: baza - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 11:50

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 11:50
I have house/contents/farm liability with them. One small claim, no dramas.
AnswerID: 372613

Reply By: Jack79TD - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 12:36

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 12:36
Have had home contents / car / small farm inurance with them for 8 years.

Had one big claim regarding water damage in a kitchen which they handled very well. We are very happy with them.

AnswerID: 372617

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 13:57

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 13:57
Hi Wendy
We have been with Elders for a good number of years now, their service has been the best of any of the companies that we have dealt with. I have all our insurance through them, from vehicle, to home and contents. Over the years, we have had to make a few claims. Like most other companies, providing that you have receipts, our claims have been fully settled in less than a week after submitting the claim.

I can highly recommend them.


Simpson Desert Colours

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 372630

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 14:28

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 14:28
Hi Wendy
I have been insured with them for many years with the farm. Have found absolutely no problems when I have had a claim. One time I was concerned with an assessor who seemed to be favoring a mate and it was quickly sorted
AnswerID: 372636

Reply By: Blaze (Berri) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 00:51

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 00:51
I may be blowing their horn here, as we use them personally. But owning a Computer business I have lots of customer who claim electrical and physical damage to laptops and home PC's and the easiest company for us to deal with and have claims settled would have to be Elders by a country mile.

AnswerID: 372726

Reply By: Member - Yogibob - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 11:48

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 11:48
Thanks guys for your reassurance on the reliability and service provided by Elders.

For me getting the right insurance policy for our needs is important, so I have always made the effort to do heaps of research and read Policy Documents before making a decision.

This time I was after a Policy that would cover the contents of our vehicle whilst travelling as well as the contents of our house when we are away for an extended period of time.
My first lesson was to learn that the contents of the vehicle can only be insured under the house contents policy, not under the vehicle policy.

So I started researching home and contents policies. This is what I found –
• Most companies will not insure the house contents after it has been vacant for over 60 consecutive days
• The majority that did offer cover whilst you are away wanted stringent weekly internal and external checks and/or a hefty increase in excess
• All policies offered portable valuables cover which in theory would cover the contents of the car, but when I started listing the contents to the Customer Service person many were excluded. For example, the solar panel, the sat phone and the ARB fridge
• The few companies that did offer comprehensive portable valuables cover wanted ‘an arm and a leg’ for it which made me question whether it was worth insuring them

• In the process of this research I also found that in most cases, if you insure your van contents under the house cover they are only insured for 60 days and only whilst the van is away from the home
• And when making a claim it is extremely helpful if you have photos of all your contents – portable or otherwise

I eventually narrowed my search down to GIO – they met all my requirements but at a very hefty premium. This high premium prompted me to try one last place – Elders. To my astonishment they offered all that I wanted and at half the price of the GIO policy … and I did not have to list and value the portable stuff!!!

So in summary, the Elders Home and Contents Accidental Damage cover insures all your PORTABLE GOODS anywhere in Australia for the entire year AT NO EXTRA COST. The only limitations are a maximum of $20,000 per claim and $2,000 per item. If necessary, this limitation can be overcome by taking out portable valuables cover for specific items.
They also insure the house and contents for the entire time you are away, provided you notify them and have the place checked regularly and the lawns and gardens maintained; AND there is no increase in excess.

There are most likely other companies out there that I missed in my research, but once I found Elders and got the reassurance from other Forum Members on their service and reliability, my decision was made.

Yogibob's reliable secretary!
AnswerID: 373294

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)