Instant hot water system for van

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 19:38
ThreadID: 70311 Views:2756 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Has anyone out there bought one of those Instant hot water systems that you can buy from E Bay, they only cost about $200 but I'm not sure about the legality of them as in standards and the way they are to be fitted due to them running on LPG only so any input would be great I will expand if I'm asked any questions but I don't know what else to describe??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nutta - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 20:43

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 20:43
I bought 1 a month or 2 back if its the silver rectangle one your talking about.
After i bought it i got an email apparently from mines and energy saying they are illegal in oz and they would be round to check if im using it, i havent seen them yet.
The unit does have some sort of compliance number but i doubt its an oz 1.
I set it up last week in the back yard (acreage) and must say it works great, it takes 2 d size batteries to ignite and has a warning light for flat batteries, it produces instant heat and has no tank by the looks of it, it ignites when the water flows.
I can highly recommend it so far, just hope it doesnt blow up which i doubt it would, looks to be well made.
My dads been camped out down the back for a bit and reckons its great.
Anyway , good luck either way.

Cheers Wayne
AnswerID: 372693

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 21:22

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 21:22
Please supply the link.

If they do not draw their combustion air from the outside or exhaust their combustion products to the outside air they can not be used in Oz.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 372700

Reply By: Member - John M (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 07:12

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 07:12
John
I have one that I have had for about 4 years. We use it for showers and it mounted on a swing out frame in the back of the truck so its always ventilated when operating and I do not use a flu as its not necessary in my application.
Mine works great and highly recommended.
It switches of automatically when there is no water flow.

Regards
John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 372731

Reply By: Member - Paul Mac (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 12:41

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 12:41
G'day John,

I purchased the silver one off ebay several months back now (the one with the LCD water temp display) and can only say it works brilliantly.

I take mine away when camping and use a jerry can of water with a pump and its great for hot showers. Uses about 7 litres per shower.

If your thinking of getting one make sure you get a good pump to work with it. Also, I use a 2kg bottle of gas and find that's sufficient for about 20 showers.

As far as ASA is concerned the unit has ISO but not ASA. I spoke to the seller and he informed me that to obtain an ASA costs around $10,000 and it wasn't worth the expense. There is nothing in the workings that would cause injury that isn't in any other normal tankless hot water system. Personally I can't see any drama in buying and using one provided you take all usual precautions.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 372755

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 12:59

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 12:59
Like not using it inside a caravan??????????????????

Or any enclosed space without venting to the outside

FollowupID: 640008

Follow Up By: Member - Paul Mac (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 14:49

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 14:49
G'day Graham,

True. They do sell a vent with the unit as an extra but the ones I have seen in action hang the unit on a U hook on the outside of the caravan.

Doesn't really matter if its ASA or ISO approved, any gas appliance should be vented in enclosed areas.
FollowupID: 640021

Follow Up By: Member - Johny boy (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 19:24

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 19:24
Hi again all ,
I really think I have to speak to a gas fitter In person and show them this unit as I keep getting different opinions as to the air flow, if I was to have it fitted in a custom built cavity completely sealed so no gas can get inside the van yet vented to the out side with a door for the controls and air flow to out side ? I cant see how this will be dangerous but when I meet up with him I will accept his answer and I may need to just hang it off the van ?
FollowupID: 640060

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 16:27

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 16:27
bolt it to the inside of the door, so u need the door open to operate it, and more to the point, connect it to the std gas cylinder, which is vented andin an approved manor....
Andrew
FollowupID: 640175

Reply By: wazzaaaa - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 15:54

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 15:54
John,
I am another one who has had one for a number of years for camping at the beach, and can only give praise to it. Had a green coleman before hand as did all our fellow campers but the difference is chalk and cheese, especially for the price. We also have a sand spear connected to it some times so we have as long a hot shower as we like for minimal cost. I personally do not have it in my caravan just to keep things compliant. Have seen it hanging outside a van and clicked into the plumbing of the van when set up though.Last price I saw was $189 del.

Wazzaaaa
AnswerID: 372926

Sponsored Links