Motorhome Query

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 23:51
ThreadID: 70319 Views:2893 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
All,

My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a motorhome in the near future, but have a few queries. Both of us are in our mid-30's with an 11 month old son. We have always thought that motorhoming was for the old retirees of the world. Are there any other similar aged families out there that do some motorhoming that could share their experiences?

One disadvantage over a motorhome as opposed to a caravan is transport once you have reached and setup at your destination. Your motorhome is basically your only mode of transport (unless you tow a car behind you, which isnt really practical). Another thought we have is a bike rack on the rear of a motorhome, either holding holding pushbikes or a small 50cc motorbike).

Whats peoples thoughts? would love to hear.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 00:17

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 00:17
Luke,

As you have already discerned, not having a separate tow vehicle is a real pain. Just imagine if you end up visiting some tourist places like on the Gold Coast, or Australia Zoo, to show your kiddie the attractions, if you are staying in a park you must pack up your home to go and visit these places.

You must negotiate suburban streets in a motorhome to get there. There will probably be suitable parking on arrival but getting there will be stressful.

What if you need to go to the supermarket? Their carparks are hardly large enough to position a Landcruiser let alone a motorhome.

Some friends of ours spent about $250K on a motorhome, they are considering selling it to get a van and a Landcruiser.

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 372722

Reply By: landed eagle - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 06:52

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 06:52
If you didn't want a motorbike on the back,split the difference and get a couple of pushbikes with electric motors on them. Mate of mine rides one to work every day. I've had a go and they're brilliant to ride. No more flogging yourself up hills.
AnswerID: 372730

Reply By: Member - Johny boy (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 08:45

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 08:45
Hi Luke,
My In laws are thinking of traveling and we are going away next Jan for most the year,the FIL said he didn't like the idea of towing a van so I pointed out the issues with whats been brought up in the above post and that's when he thought yeah true ? I will still have to tow some thing, his and other peoples thoughts are oh but I can send mum down back to make a cuppa ....Um no not really dad I would tell him as it is not legal and besides that is one heck of an expensive cuppa about $100,000, just carry a thermos or use it as a good excuse to have a break and another thing is that when you get to some of these places I think it would be nice to have a choice as in do i want to go on that beach or down that 4wd posted track ,I bet you decide not to when you know that everything you own is in that vehicle and don't forget if you break down are you going to ask the mechanic if you can sleep in his workshop .I know I would prefer knowing that my van is secure in a caravan park whilst I sight see ,rather than come back to a secluded parking spot to find everything gone or broken into,hey I don't want to upset the people that do have this set up its just what I was thinking when we were deciding , well I hope we gave you a few things to think about I could still go on but I already have LOL!! Take care and have a ball. :)
AnswerID: 372737

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 09:11

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 09:11
Providing the vehicle is not too big, it is not an inconvenience.
We are just 2 people, but find that our 6m long motorhome is totally adequate in terms of space, storage and comfort, and we live in it for 8 months each year.
6m is fine to park in any 'normal' parking area in streets or shopping centres and packing up to move from a camp takes all of 3 minutes.
To get the most living space with the least length, choose a forward control vehicle and a bed-over-cab layout.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 372739

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 18:29

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 18:29
Do you have an annexe etc cos I'm damn sure I couldnt pack up in less than an hour if I have pack that up and our table and chairs etc outside.

Has been far to hot to sit inside up north lately anyway.

FollowupID: 640050

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 18:58

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 18:58
"Has been far too hot to sit inside up north lately anyway".

Graham stop showing off.

Some of us are stuck in cold places. We don't want to hear about it.....

Electric blanket again tonight.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 640056

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 19:14

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 19:14
Where are you then.

May get to say hello when I get down south.

Coldest day for 2 months today.

We are at Point Samson and its overcast and breezy and only 26.7.

LOL
FollowupID: 640058

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 20:58

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 20:58
Mandurah, mate.

Got our butts blown off last week with those storms and now they are being frozen off.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 640073

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 18:37

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 18:37
Towing a car behind a motor home is a very practical idea. The overall running cost is much less with a motor home and flat towed car than we had with a caravan and large tow vehicle.

Neil
AnswerID: 372795

Reply By: HUMMERH3 - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 19:05

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 19:05
G'day luke

me, wife and two kids are travelling around oz later this year, im 42 wife 36, two kids 12 and 13, so you wont be alone out there.
we looked at vans but decided on the converted bus, 11 mtr towing a trailer with suzuki and tinny on top, bought all these for less than a new van.
done the van thing before while the kids where young and it was good but now that there older and need a bit of there own space the bus was a better idea, the fuel economy is better than a 4wd towing a van most of the time.
and it only takes a few minutes to take the suzuki of and your into the touristy spots, kids get to watch tely, computer, or sleep in a bed when they want, wife and i going to sell motorhome when we settle and get a 4wd and of road van when kids nick off and then do all the spots a motorhome wouldnt go.

go out there and enjoy

regards mick
AnswerID: 372797

Reply By: Eric Experience - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 22:44

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 22:44
Luke.
I have been travelling since 1962. Started of with a landrover and caravan.We have tested every combination on the market. What we ended up with is a vehicle big enough to have a permanent set up bed and table and small enough to fit in a normal car parking spot, with a fuel economy better than most vehicles [10L/100] and the off road ability of an average 4x4. What is it? Its an ex ambulance Mercedes sprinter4x4. We love it. Eric.
AnswerID: 372848

Reply By: Luke_s - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 22:48

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 22:48
Thanks all for your replies. I am beginning to lean toward the caravan/ 4x4 option. I see having no transport (apart from the motorhome) as the biggest issue once you get to your destination. As far as caravans go (I am not an expert or even close), I do like the jayco sterlings with the front bunks.

Has anyone any thoughts on the jayco sterlings?

Cheers
AnswerID: 372850

Sponsored Links