FRASER ISLAND

Hi All

Finally after 30 years I get to go back to Fraser in a couple of weeks. Last time I was there it was my honeymoon. So my question is has anyone got any tips on the best place to camp or anything else for that matter and any warnings.
Thanks
Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 11:10

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 11:10
You lucky man

Make sure you check the conditions report report here

We like to camp at waddy point on the beach
AnswerID: 372747

Follow Up By: Member - Rob - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 10:24

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 10:24
Thanks Troll 81.
FollowupID: 640142

Reply By: Louie the fly (SA) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 13:13

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 13:13
Watch out for lunatic backpacker drivers. There in 2007, nearly ran a couple of them over when they ran out from behind a bus and I was reversing out. Then a troopy full of hot European chicks nearly wiped us out on the Central station track. They were on the wrong side!!! That night, back at Cathederal Beach, they rocked up. They recognised our cars and came over with beer to apologise. Must say, the wives weren't that impressed, but the dad's and son's were.

Enjoy it man. I went back after 15 years and it had changed sooo much.

Louie
AnswerID: 372757

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 14:58

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 14:58
hahaha could just imagine the Convo ------

Wife - " Ok darling -- time for bed "

Hubby - " ok dear - good night - see you in the morning - im staying up a little longer !!!

Deadly silence ........... Wife.. " Ok then >:( "

FollowupID: 640022

Follow Up By: Member - Rob - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 15:24

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 15:24
I have to say I had a similar but more rewarding experience last year on Moreton when I was taking the cruiser up the beach for a test drive after a brake problem arose when my son (25) and I came across some tipsy backpackers in a 4wd after they had pulled over. I moved on swearing under my breathe and came back about 20 minutes later heading back to camp when they falgged me down and the 2 ladies decided it was time to take their tops off. NAturally I stopped to say hello and they offered us a beer. Anyway, I said you guys should not be driving so I got to drive them back to camp. Note my son brought my car home!!!
I am just lucky they weren't staying at Blue Lake.
Good times but the son was absolutely filthy on me. But I took a vow to protect my son interests AND MINE.
Rob
FollowupID: 640024

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 17:31

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 17:31
Louie

Shoosh!

You'll start a stampede of father and sons trips to Fraser....Bonding, yeah that's what we'll call it.....Tommo pack the Landy son!

Cheers,
FollowupID: 640041

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 14:13

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 14:13
G'day Rob, hope you're not dissapointed. We stopped going in 2000 due to
overcrowding at peak times & mountains of rubbish, kamikaze backbackers in
Troopys etc. I believe you cant camp near the multitude of creeks on the beach side anymore & that the beach took a pounding recently making the
trip to the top difficult if not impossible. Hopfully things have improved as it is
a magic place, maybe suffering from overuse....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 372764

Follow Up By: Member - Rob - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 15:25

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 15:25
Hi Oldbaz,
Yeah the tracks will be chopped up by the time I get there. I wont get to hear the chassis groaning as the wife will be to busy whinging!
Thanks for the info
Rob
FollowupID: 640025

Reply By: Canvas Charisma - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 14:17

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 14:17
Hi Rob,

Half your luck.

Where are you going from, either River Heads or Inskip Point? If going from Inskip give the green and yellow Manta Ray barge a run as he is an independent operator.

Sometimes the sand can be a bit chopped up between Inskip Point and the barge but if you have your tyres down, the right gear selected and keep your revs up all will be good.

if you are coming up the beach from Tewantin then the Leisha Track was impassable a couple of weeks ago so the next choice is the Freshwater Road and then into Rainbow Beach and on to Fraser.

Since you are going in a couple of weeks you should just miss the current block of school holidays.

Too many top camping spots to list depending on your taste but have a look at www.epa.qld.gov.au under camping bookings and you will find a lot of information. Private run campground is at Cathedral Beach and I think you will find it on the web under Frasers Cathedral Beach or something similar.

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 372765

Follow Up By: Member - Rob - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 10:22

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 10:22
Thanks Brian
FollowupID: 640140

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 17:19

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 17:19
Hi Rob

Waddy point is hard to beat protected from the wind and the back packers don't go past Indian head. Either the top camping ground nice and leafy with hot showers for a dollar or the beach front camping ground, limited spots.
Orchard beach shop has fuel and limited supplies.
You can do all your day trips from Waddy.
Its about 2 hours from Hook point strait up the beach to Waddy, tide and conditions depending and stop at Eurong for a pie and coffee (nice bread/ cake shop) and any extra supplies.

Rob.

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 372783

Follow Up By: Member - Rob - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 10:23

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 10:23
Hi Rob

I see the top camping ground is closed for upgrading at the moment. Thanks for the tips
Rob
FollowupID: 640141

Reply By: NickDG - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:19

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:19
Rob,was there in april. That was first time back in 20yrs. Found half of the beach washed away after the storms of jan 09.the recomended travel times of 2 hours each side of low tide was just about right as even at these times we encountered waves washing up to the base of the dunes. I would recommend not staying in one campsite as it would be impossible to see all of the island from one camp for the above reason. I would say absolute minimum a week but a month would be good if you want to see everything. Because of the beach being washed away you have to cross a few rocks on the way up along the beach . The most difficult of these is Chard rock just after Happy Valley. These are not for the Faint hearted!You cannot see one side from the other. You do not know who or what is coming from the other side and there is no passing area in the middle. My advice would be to park at one side and get out and walk to a point where you can see the other side and sus out what is happening! These Rocks become very congested as it the only way north or south. In my experence over 90% of the Vehicles and drivers should not be there. Inexperinced Packpacker Drivers and Soft roaders with Road tyres and no idea of how to drive to the conditions where a daily occurance.And don't get me started on the dogooder nazi rangers who think they own the place. But having said all that the scenery is great and we managed to have a good if limited time. But it is expensive! NickDG
AnswerID: 372827

Follow Up By: Member - Rob - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 10:19

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 10:19
Hi Nick
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. We head up that way and see how we feel when we get there. We will probably check out BUrrum Heads to.
FollowupID: 640139

Follow Up By: rumpig - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 19:12

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 19:12
i was up there about a month ago and the beach was nowhere near as bad as Nick says it was when he was there, it repairs itself pretty quickly. we go every year for 2 weeks and whilst the beach has lost an awful lot of sand, common sense will see you getting around without a problem at all.
FollowupID: 640195

Reply By: rodeodude - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 20:45

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 20:45
hi all
Does any one have recent information on track rocks conditions etc, i have been reading the epa site.We are heading to dundabara with 3 vehicles 2 of which are towing camper trailers, Any pitfalls to avoid apart from the obvious ie tyre pressures tide times etc.

rd
AnswerID: 373365

Sponsored Links