WA to Introduce Boat Fishing Licence

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 20:06
ThreadID: 70337 Views:4497 Replies:11 FollowUps:33
This Thread has been Archived
On the news tonight, the WA Govt is to introduce a $30 per annum fishing licence if you want to fish from a boat. They say that stocks are threatened and the impact of recreational fishing must be reduced. If you want to catch the most at risk fish, snapper etc, the licence will cost $150 pa.

So if my wife and I want to go out into the estuary and get a few tailor for dinner we have to get a licence.

How is this money raising going to protect the fish? Are they going to buy baby fish?

Unbelievable.

And this on top of their discussion last month about taxing 4WDs off the roads.

And raising boat licence fees by a whopping amount.

And if you want to throw a line in off the beach you are in their sights too.

Colin Barnett seems to think he's the chosen one. Doesn't he understand that a drover's dog would have beaten the State Labor Govt at the last election.

I'm begining to wish I had voted informal.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rocco2010 - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 20:22

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 20:22
Gidday

Interesting move. The marginal seats in WA are in the northern suburbs of Perth, where every man and his dog has a boat, around Mandurah (likewise) and in the South West around Bunbury (likewise). Fishing licences should go down a treat in those areas.

I don't fish but I suppose they'll come after the campers next.

Cheers

Rocco

AnswerID: 372808

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 20:33

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 20:33
The answers may be found at:

http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pages/Results.aspx?ItemID=132160

http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pages/Results.aspx?ItemID=132159

IMHO it's about time. Stocks have been hammered. Including by me - can't go on forever. All the funds will go to the recfishery.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 372815

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 20:38

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 20:38
Well John, I'm sure you won't mind kicking in for my licence then.

Hark back to our youth in Safety Bay (both of us). If kids these days want to go to the beach and catch a fish, usually a blowie, surely they shouldn't have to pay for it.

This is just as bad as when the beach at Long Point (Port Kennedy) was closed off because a big development was planned. It never took off but the beach was still closed.

The Fun Nazis are hard at work.

cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 640066

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 20:56

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 20:56
Hi Stephen, thks for reminding me that my first ever cath (at 6) was a blowie!

Re the beach fishing kids; they won't have to. There is no intention to create a beach fishing licence (and even if they were it would never be extended to kids). $30 isn't much; not compared with my rock lobster licence going to $45. Altho as you know I am now eligible for the Senior's discount (as you too might shortly be methinks).

Moore said - “However, to make it clear, the licences only apply to individuals fishing from boats. People fishing from beaches or jetties and shore-based crab fishers will not need a licence except where existing licences already apply.”

There is a fair amount of anecdotal evidence that herring, KGs and salmon are also under the pump. If it's true, then most damage is being done by the boaties. Despite trying 2-3 times a year I haven't caught a KG from the boat in the last 3 years. Previously I would get that many or more every trip. Someone has to pay for the research and....user pays.

Certainly agree with you re Long Point!!!

Cheers
FollowupID: 640071

Follow Up By: landseka - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:12

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:12
Bear in mind it is not $30 per year, it is $30 per DAY per angler using a boat.

If it is more economical you can opt for the $150 per year option.

The cost is incurred if you USE a boat to fish, or get to a fishing spot. Ie, catch the ferry to Rotto, or use your own boat to get there then fish from the beach..ding ding $30 thank you.

Even going crabbing or squidding..pay up.
FollowupID: 640078

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:22

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:22
Sorry Landseka, it is per YEAR.

But that's still bad enough.

Don't forget they've just put up the licence costs for boats.

So we sell our boats and then they want to tax our 4wds off the road.

What's the story???

Should we all be driving our Hyundai I30s to the fish & chip shop??, because everything else uses too much fuel and we can't afford to catch the fish ourselves???

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 640081

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:25

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:25
Fees detailed here

FAQ NEW RECREATIONAL FISHING ARRANGEMENTS

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 640082

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 09:47

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 09:47
"There is no intention to create a beach fishing licence"....I cant believe that.

its just that they knew they wouldnt get away with it if introduced now...give em time it will happen.....they are always thinking of ways to recover monies...it doesnt matter which govt it is or which state...its going to happen here in SA as well...but when is the question... in my case, i'd only being paying for a licence that i dont really need...cant catch anything anyway...but i do enjoy trying to be an angler
FollowupID: 640137

Reply By: Best Off Road - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:17

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:17
First of all, voting informal is a useless waste of time.

Secondly, a Victorian Govt (can't remember which party) introduced a fishing licence some years back with the aim of generating enough money to buy back the licenses of Scallop Dredgers (who were raping the Bay) to bring Port Phillip Bay back to some health. Bugger me, it worked.

It may be a tax only in WA or it may have positive results, keep an open mind.

Jim.

AnswerID: 372826

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:54

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:54
Cheers Jim, the boat rego fee is partially a tax altho (I still have the original leaked Cabinet papers) some money is returned to the community thru the Recreational Boating Facilities Scheme for building new facilities such as ramps (http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/imarine/19838.asp).

I would guess that the recent increase is ALL tax as Government, incl the current one, have short changed metro boaters (read ripped off) for years.

However, the new rec fishing licence structure is definitely not a tax, the fees will go to support the fishery everyone want access to. Onya Norman moore, at last a pollie who has the ****s (hope this doesn't get moderated) to do something effective.

And 'struth, it needs the support badly enough.
FollowupID: 640086

Reply By: Flywest - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:53

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:53
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Moderation Complaints Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 372836

Reply By: Mark-n-Troods - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 23:01

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 23:01
If they were serious about looking after depleted fish numbers its the bag limits that need to be looked at and changed ........ Implementing a licence is ony revenue chasing... yep ok a percentage of money may be put back into recfish but the rest will just be absorbed by the government .......... ah well thats my 2 cents worth :-)
AnswerID: 372853

Follow Up By: Welldone WA - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 00:16

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 00:16
Mark-n-Troods,

I think they are serious,

As part of the govt media release , it was also announced that the mixed bag limit for category 3 fish[lower risk] would drop from 40 to 30 per day and the mixed bag limit for category 2 fish[medium risk] would drop from 16 to 12 per day.Which is a reduction of 25% in the take of the "bread and butter" fish like tailor, herring, skippy, gardies and whiting etc.

Welldone
FollowupID: 640121

Reply By: stevesub - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 07:55

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 07:55
A good very hard look at the recreationanal AND commercial guys is the way to go. it has to be done by Government on a scientific basis and the results are not to be swayed by the commercial sector which is what usually happens who only want a short term dollar.

Quota Management systems for sustainable fisheries are a must as has been done in NZ many years ago. Also these quota's MUST be enforced rigorously.

By quotas, there are size, catch and species restrictions on both recreational and commercial based on what that area of water can sustain so everyone can come back next year and catch fish again. Lookup on Google to see how they do it in NZ.

No amount of taxes, levies, fees will help without a proper management system.

When we were living in NZ, during the late 1980's and early 1990's, it became almost impossible to catch a fish in certain areas, then the quota management system came in and you can now once again catch fish.

Stevesub
AnswerID: 372874

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 08:43

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 08:43
so do i need to get a liscense to fish from my Kayac?
AnswerID: 372881

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 11:21

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 11:21
Yes, yaks are boats. Cheers.
FollowupID: 640150

Reply By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 08:59

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 08:59
I agree that these licenses seem excessive. I don't believe it will solve the problems of dwindling fish stocks.

Some of the things I have seen are from fishing clubs with competitions to bring back as many dead fish for weigh in to win. Many of these same fisherman will then dump these fish as they are only interested in the competition. This is a shame.

There are other fishing clubs who practice catch and release or have live holding tanks for the weigh in process. This is a better practice that should be encouraged.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 372886

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 09:00

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 09:00
You can bet your last $ that our indigenous brothers and sisters who fish will be exempt from this government impost .
AnswerID: 372887

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 12:10

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 12:10
Go push your racist barrow elsewhere Axel.

FollowupID: 640156

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 17:09

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 17:09
Racist ? If OBJECTING to a Govt fee / charge that only applies to persons of a particular skin colour then racist Ill be.
FollowupID: 640179

Reply By: ob - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 12:10

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 12:10
I fail to understand how charging someone a fee for boat fishing for a catch that may never eventuate is going to conserve stocks. Why not reduce bag limits with serious penalties for those that exceed them?

Cheers ob
AnswerID: 372901

Reply By: steved58 - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 23:07

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 23:07
What's Wa coming to fishing licences ,
Confiscating vehicles of unlicensed drivers even when not owned by them
Dob in a bikie even if he is doing nothing wrong
Dob in a water cheat
Dob in a welfare cheat
Pay more for power
Pay more for gas
pay more for water
pay more for boat reg
Pay more for trailer reg
The list goes on of government policies that are ill thought out they may need addressed but a lot more thought before implementing is needed its only a matter of time before the fools ban 4wd's

Steve
AnswerID: 373004

Sponsored Links