looking for 80 series advice

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 20:31
ThreadID: 70339 Views:2493 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I am looking to purchase a used 80 series petrol/gas and have found one that has a perfect service record etc. However it has a slight knocking / tappet noise coming from the engine.
any ideas what this might be and $ if the engine was to need a rebuild.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 20:51

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 20:51
Certainly have the valve clearances checked out Lost in the dust.

If your unable to do, it its worth a report from something like Vacc (in vic)

I have one friend who never could get gas sorted out on his 80 series
and had it removed as a result of gas caused valve problems.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 372821

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:05

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:05
More info what year
what engine, 4500 twin cam, or the earlier 4 litre.
How many klm.
how log has the LPG been fitted.

Rob.

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 372824

Follow Up By: lost in the dust - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:19

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:19
95, GXL, 230K with LPG fitted close to manufactured date and updated last year. Has been serviced regularly by a toyota dealership and last service didnt show any major issues.
FollowupID: 640080

Reply By: Wherehegon - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 22:36

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 22:36
Another thing for you to check which is a rust trap is, lay down on the ground stick your head under the vehicle just behind both the front wheels. You will see a bracket that runs from the front guard in towards the fire wall, its a bit hard to describe but there is a bit of a so called metal braket that is part of the fire wall (welded) with two threaded holes. You will see a little rubber grommet under neath this, PULL the rubber grommets out on bothe sides of the vehicle and make sure firstly no water runs out, secondly get a torch (hard to do) but shine it up in the hole and try and make sure no rust, (you will need like a pencil torch) If any water is present and rusty its already started to rust, put a container under it when you pull the grommets out so you can check the water and make sure its not a rusty colour, also pull the carpet back inside DIRECTLY behind these points and make sure no rust has started to come through. If you intend to buy the vehicle LEAVE the rubber grommets out. They some how allow water to get in but cant get out due to the grommets. By leaving the grommets out water WILL NOT leak into vehicle unless its rusted.....Bit of a mistake by Toyota in design.. I did have pictures and everything on my computer but my hard drive died and I lost everything unless some one else on here has it ?? LPG ?????? A few people I have spoken to (when I was looking) have all had head issues due to the LPG ?? I do know of one bloke personally who has a spare sitting on his shelf as he has done three heads within 350k and this is with regular tappet adjustments. He even had the harder valve stem seals put in and a lube kit fitted after the first time but has done nothing to stop the problem. In saying that I have seen numerous 80's running petrol/LPG surely they dont all have that problem ??? Very expensive to get repaired if they go........ Regards Steve
AnswerID: 372844

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 05:32

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 05:32
Hi Lost in the dust,
Here are a couple of pics of what Wherehegon is talking about.
Pictures are thanks to the guys at Lcool.
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Become a member of Lcool, they have a permanent thread set up where they discuss this problem.
Toyota design fault can cause RUST

AnswerID: 372869

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 16:29

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 16:29
Thanks Jon......... Regards Steve
FollowupID: 640176

Reply By: lost in the dust - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 08:05

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 08:05
thanks for the rust tip - will check it out
AnswerID: 372876

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 16:14

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 16:14
My xray vision says dont take the chance, buy a cheaper 4.5 with no gas and have it installed fresh..get the refund from the gov......it is common for the 4.5 to burn the heater hose on the back of the head, passenger side.especially if it runs gas...
Andrew
AnswerID: 372934

Sponsored Links