Kulumburu

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:00
ThreadID: 70340 Views:2989 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Just chasing some advise on camping and fishing north of Kulumburu, (McGowan Island and Honeymoon Bay).
I have a little boy 4 (+ Wife) and a little tinny.

Please advise on fishing and camping conditions oh what about bities :)

Jock
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:44

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:44
Only thing I know there will be plenty of Bities as you say both flying ones and definitely swimming ones.
You could try ringing the rangers up that way who will answer your questions.

Be careful so that you come back with all you go up with if you know what I mean.

Saw plenty up that way recently when flying around.

AnswerID: 372832

Reply By: Jock69 - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:50

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:50
Thanks am CROC savie as I live just down the road in Derby..

AnswerID: 372833

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 22:08

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 22:08
Nice wee place was there 2 weeks ago. Interesting history, nice Barra at the takeaway at the wharf.
FollowupID: 640088

Reply By: Leroy - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 22:47

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 22:47
Hey Jock,

We stayed at McGowan's in May and had a nice shady grassy site. You could launch your boat off the beach but we seemed to be catching as much off the rocks as the boats!

Cheers,
Leroy
AnswerID: 372849

Reply By: PhilD - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 23:02

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 23:02
Hi, McGowans is a lot nicer than Honeymoon. The tinny is down on the beach in front of you, and you don't have to go far for oysters and fishing. You will troll up macks and tuna out the front usually, and jewies are on the reefs. You can go further for more of the same, snapper, queenies etc. Make sure you have a good sounder and gps and go looking for structures. There are jack up the creeks on the other side, and GTs on the shoals depending on the time of the year. The King Edward is about 6km away and a great trip on a good day.
AnswerID: 372854

Reply By: Jock69 - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 23:11

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 23:11
THANK YOU
AnswerID: 372855

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 13:54

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 13:54
Hi Jock,
It's many years since I've done McGowans, but on my last trip in 2001, I stayed at Honeymoon, and was very disappointed - local kids playing very loud music, the area looking like a car wrecker's yard, and general ablution facilities were run-down. There were a couple of really nice campsites on the beach (which were taken), but the rest of the camping was near the junkyard. We didn't stay for all the days we paid for - we left early.
At the time, someone had told us that some locals had trashed McGowans, but I understand that it's all been rebuilt and last report I heard was that is was quite good. It was certainly nice when we stayed there in the early 90's.
cheers,
Gerry
AnswerID: 372912

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 16:22

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 16:22
Hi Jock

We stayed a few days at McGowans last year and it was lovely, even if the amenities were a bit basic (you could use the shower at the house if not happy with the cold ones). We didn't have a boat, so went out with them to places a catch was guaranteed. Anywhere in Kalumburu, the rules are you can only keep as much as you can eat whilst there - so lots of big ones went back (see my blog) to breed for another fisherman. We were told of a spot near the river mouth where fish are abundant, but pulling them up the rocks was hard, and you don't go down there! I saw the turn off but can't remember what it was called. I think it was also mentioned in Ron Moons book.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 372936

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 18:34

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 18:34
This fella was lurking off the beach at Honeymoon Bay when we were up there this time last year.

If you stay at Honeymoon Bay the night mudcrab tour is well the money. We used the native spears supplied and caught a good swag of them. Of course we kept our eyes open for red eyes. The crabs were cooked for us when we got back to camp.
The oysters are huge and very tasty and hide on the underside of loose rocks.
Had no luck fishing off the shore but with the fella above about it was no wonder.

AnswerID: 372959

Reply By: Member - John P (NT) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:56

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:56
Jock,
I am sending a copy of a reply to a similar post last year, I go to honeymoon Bay on a regular basis .I would not go to McGowans on principle ask around when you get there) The map included in this has not come up ,if you email me on pomeroys@tpg.com.au I will send you a full copy.

I will forward you this email which is the first in a series I sent to another Exploroz query (the rest I have deleted).
I always stay at Honeymoon bay as I thought McGowans camping was pretty ordinary, in the sand.
Les runs "fishing charters" which is mostly bottom bashing on reef in the middle of the bay,its all pretty rough,in an old 5 m boat. He may take you out looking for pelangics on request but I dont know. I dont know anything about McGowans charters but I thought they would be much the same. Both camps are run by aboriginals whos idea of a fishing charter probably are not the same as yours.
I would try and take my own boat if at all possible as it will be very expensive if you have to pay each time you want to go fishing and there is a great diversity of fishing and exploring up there -we used a 12ft tinnie with 15hp for years till I got an offroad trailer built for my bigger boat

A few general hints for up there.
I would stay at Honeymoon Bay, Les will be helpful if you do the right thing.
Les French LES FRENCH

Leave to go fishing at first light (which is very early due to the craazy time zoning up there)
as the wind comes up at 10-11am each morning, making it unpleasant and it is the best time to catch bait.
If you haven,t got a cast net get one & learn to use it.Catch bait at first light on Honeymoon Beach at left hand end-may have to drift in the shallows along shoreline moving out from beach or go to beach to right of Honeymoon,especially up the far end. As a last resort go around to the next beach on the left hand side of Honeymoon Beach(500m?) And there is always bait fish around the rocky section in the center.
You can launch the boat near the big boab tree at RH end of beach but better spot at HIGH tide is on gravel beach on other side of peninsula Spot A on map, drive past Les"s house on track going east a few hundred meters then vere left.

Napier Broome bay
1. Is Honeymoon Bay "Resort"

No.2 Radio Tower/Eagles Nest
Can fish for Jacks & Cod against rocks or trool out a bit for Big Queenies& Mackerel indeep water towards point.
Radio Tower Queenie

No. 3 Dominic Creek
Lots of Mangrove Jacks,Cod& Bream in mangrove roots.Lures but live bait best. Trool for Queenies. You get stuck in there on the low tide.
No 4 Reef.
this is Les's favorite fishing spot Sweetlip, Fingermark,Reds.
No 5 Off the tip of Governor Island.
On the right days there are big balls of bait fish here in water 60-90ft .We have got some awesome Mackerel, Queenies,Trevally & Barracoota here trooling big lures.
Barracoota

No 6& 7 Creeks
Similar to No 3
No 8 Drysdale River
The mouth has a mass of mangrove islands which are Mangrove Jack heaven, with a few Barra thrown in as well.
If you go right up to the where the salt water ends -about 8km- you get to the Barra Pool .The name says it all.Be there at the top of the tide.If you walk up the rocks the fresh water above is a nice place to cool down- keep an eye out for crocs. If you go up there be aware you wont get out at low tide of the mouth at low tide so watch the time.
Barra Pool

That is a quick summary of my favorite spots.Though I have seen blokes get a lot of big fish around the rocks in the water off Red Bluff -on the RHS as you go to the Governor Islands.

I will be going up there in September, which will be a bit late for you.

If you want any more specific info.send a email

John.
AnswerID: 373248

Sponsored Links