Coongie Lakes Innamincka Nappa Merrie Haddon Cnr

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 19:09
ThreadID: 70396 Views:2818 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has any body traveled from Coongie Lakes to Innamincka, through Nappa Merrie and on to Haddon Corner recently? We go next week. What are the road conditions like? Thanks Tony F
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris & Sue (Briz Vegas) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 08:48

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 08:48
G'day,Tony.

We did a day trip from Innamincka to Coongie Lakes about 6 weeks ago and the track at that time was fair to good - just some corrugations and some small bulldust holes.

Had we known how beautiful the area was, we would have taken the camper up there and stayed a night or three rather than stay at Innamincka.

Sorry I can't help with the other part of your route.

Have a safe trip.
Cheers,
Chris & Sue
AnswerID: 373137

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 12:53

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 12:53
I can't help you with up to date conditions, but last year and the year before I travelled those tracks and they were better last year - a lot of maintenance had been done because of mining activity. I don't think you'll have a problem - we usually cruise at about 60 kph.
AnswerID: 373162

Reply By: Member - Tony F (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 19:52

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 19:52
Thanks for the info. We will be towing the coil sprung Aussie Swag as we have been told how good it is as well as our Kayak to paddle out int it. It is a pitty it's so far and time is so short. We are headed for Lawn Hill after that.
Thanks Tony F
AnswerID: 373225

Reply By: Grungle229 - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:20

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:20
Hi Tony,

We were there a few days ago. Camped on the Cooper in Innaminka when a dust storm rolled in. Then stayed at Coongie for a night before heading out and driving to Haddon Corner via the Cordillo Downs Road. We also towed an Aussie Swag Camper.

The drive to Coongie is a typical track that has corrugations on various sections. Will take around 2 hours from Innamincka (103kms). Don't stay at the first campsite called Kudriemitchie where some people think is Coongie. Head out another 28km to the actual lake. There are some campsites near the toilets on the left (they back onto a long waterhole) but if you drive over the dune on the right just before the main campsites, you will have a huge area around the southern side of the lake to choose a campsite from which are much better in my opinion. These are at water level as well and are much nicer. No toilets though and there are no campfires or fishing anywhere around Coongie so don't bother with firewood. We towed the Aussie Swag over the dunes with no worries at all.

The road north is pretty good I found and a combination of gibber plains and sandy sections. We sat on around 70 - 80km/h for most but there are some sections where a much lower speed is required. We bush camped in a creek around 20km north of Arrabury before setting off again to see Haddon Corner and get a hotel at Longreach as we were at the end of our 4 week trip through central Oz.

We saw very little traffic on this section so make sure you are prepared.

Cheers
David
AnswerID: 373240

Follow Up By: Member - Tony F (NSW) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 17:55

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 17:55
Thanks to every body for their comments. Special thanks to David for the current and specific info.
Cheers Tony F
FollowupID: 640497

Sponsored Links