which vehicle?

Submitted: Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 23:20
ThreadID: 70452 Views:2779 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys
I am reading bad feedback on a couple of modern vehicles (on the forum) I am interested to know .....has anyone bought a vehicle in the past 1 or 2 years that has really come up to scratch???
Brian R
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 23:34

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 23:34
Hi Brian,

Depends on what you mean by "up to scratch". I have a 200 series and while it has the odd niggly issue, would not hesitate to buy it again after owning one for a year now.

Its almost funny what you read about a particular vehicle and the issues it has, yet the writer doesn't own one and are repeating what their brothers mates boss said. I thought my 3.0TD GU was bad for mis-information, but gees, the things I have read about the 200 that are simply so far from the mark would make you laugh.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 373397

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 21:14

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 21:14
Brian
"bad mis-information" is not that to those that have first hand experience of the issues.

Congratulations that they have not happen to you, but that by no means should suggest that they don't happen at all.

The issues with the GU 3.0ltr are well documented by many people "first hand" and for 185000km I was imune to the problems, but denial wont change the fact that these things do happen, and even to some 200 owners.

Please don't think im having a shot at you Brian, that is not my intention, but your good luck should not be read as no problems existing.
Cheers Colin.
FollowupID: 640648

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 22:35

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 22:35
Hi Colin,

Assuming you mean this reply for me, not Brian:) I agree that the GU 3.0TD engine has far more than its fair share of problems. I am not trying to say vehicles don't have problems, far from it - but I do believe that some problems are blown out of proportion and then others get on the bandwagon and the hype becomes hysteria. Perhaps I have an uncommon view, I don't expect mechanical things to be 100% reliable so am not surprised when there is the occasional failure (and I know you experienced the engine failure, I had the flywheel fail @105,000 kms- only $2,800 compared to your $$$$ ).

But when does the "occasional" failure become too much? To me the real test of a vehicle is how the manufacturer handles the problem. To date I can report from first hand experience that I will not touch another Nissan due to Nissan Australia's handling of warranty issues. And I can say I have already had 3 warranty rectifications with my 200 that have been handled so well by Toyota that I would happily recommend their warranty service.

Cheers

Captain

PS. Glad to see how well TONI turned out, you certainly have the best of both worlds :)
FollowupID: 640663

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 23:50

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 23:50
I bought a new Triton twin cab 3.2 diesel.

70,000 ks, an excellent tow vehicle has performed flawlessly so far.

AnswerID: 373398

Reply By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 00:59

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 00:59
Bought a new landcruiser trayback in March 09. Much better than expected.

Found reviews pretty useless and "epinions" on the internet of limited value. Got some info off a local who actually services them at a Toyota dealer and went ahead and got it. A lot of rubbish is posted about vehicles by people who have never driven, let alone owned, the vehicle they are so willing to give an epinion about. This seems to apply to all makes and models.

AnswerID: 373403

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 10:27

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 10:27
We bought a new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 18 months ago and have travelled over 50K mostly serious off-roading and often towing our off road caravan. OK not everyones cup of tea but does everything we ask of it and we are very happy that it performs exactly as expected and more.
AnswerID: 373431

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 12:51

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 12:51
Noting your profile says you have Suburu Brian our
similar size 2YO RAV4 has exceeded our expections and is the
3rd one we have now brought.

On bigger cars our 2002 Patrol Petrol has been so good that
even now 7 years later the only car that can match it and
exceed it in some areas is a $90k plus 200 series.

This makes it hard to replace.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 373445

Reply By: Madfisher - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 13:30

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 13:30
Brian I work for a rental car franchise operating in excess of 100 vehicles. These include isuzu trucks, prados hiluxs, camrys, commodores, Falcons, aurions, Tildas, Ravs, Foresters, xtrails, Corrollas. Theses vehicles get a hard life yet we have only had one warranty issue with the 600 isuzu. One of the Commodores had a spilt windsreen washer bottle and thats it. A diesel courier has spit the dummy, but it was brought 2nd hand , and went to work long term in a coal mine. Its now just out of warranty.
Granted we ingore minor rattles etc, but it does show how good modern vehicles are.
On a private footing I brought a 2nd 3.5 v6 Jack with 100000ks, it is now at 146000 and the only parts I have replaced are the timing belt and a inlet manifold gasket.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 373449

Reply By: RobAck - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 16:47

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 16:47
We're on our second Prado and they work hard and we are more than happy with the petrol and diesel versions in the fleet.

The comment regarding epinion vs those who actually own and use vehicles/equipment is a course hazard these days so sorting sheep and goats is even harder

We see pretty much all 4WD come through our courses and tours annually and whilst they are all different they fit their respective owners needs well

There are always the odd exceptions but the majority of vehicle manufacturers are pretty good at what they do.

For example one of the training tracks we put in on a property has claimed two Prado front diffs and a 100 series rear diff I understand. Yet we can put a bog standard Suzuki around that track without damage

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 373469

Follow Up By: Member - Brian R (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 17:24

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 17:24
Thanks Guys

I am really pleased that you all responded to my thread. Yes I do have a Forester, which we are really pleased with. It siutes were we are at present and has given no trouble, just over 50000 ????? wow that went quick.

So now I have a broader view of modern vehicles, I take back any adverse comments I might have made in other threads.
So ...enjoy the rest of the week and roll on the weekend

Brian R
FollowupID: 640607

Sponsored Links